ForumsWEPRPrinted Guns and Arms Laws

64 25723
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

The wonderful 3D printers have given rise to an issue: one can download designs for a gun and print it via a 3D printer. You may have heard of this, if not, you can look up 3D printer guns and you'll find articles.
Naturally, the guns are neither strong nor capable of multiple shots, but that does not matter. You can still kill someone. Now, do you believe that when 3D printers are made available for cheap that we should slacken gun laws? Maybe the answer to the gun problem is if everyone is carrying a gun, even kids, there won't be issues. Or should we ban 3D printers and hope that these weak but still functional firearms never make it to the wrong people?

Personally, I think that the gun laws should be slackened. Once something is publicly available for cheap, it's hard to control it. Naturally, if we slacken the gun laws it stands to reason other weapons will most likely become allowed too, but maybe not.

But what do you think?

• 64 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I do know what I'm talking about, and I want to say to Salvidian, this gun can be made well on a $2-300 homemade printer.

How so? I actually use a 3D printer daily and I can't see how that's possible. The printer I use was $800 and it can barely create a necklace because it doesn't have enough precision. Plus designing it would be a major headache.

What about any vapours from printing? You do heat the material, right?

It cools almost instantly. As soon as the printer finishes the material is cool enough to grab. Because it cools so fast it's more of a reshaping of the material.
TerminatorXM214
TerminatorXM214
222 posts
Blacksmith

How so? I actually use a 3D printer daily and I can't see how that's possible. The printer I use was $800 and it can barely create a necklace because it doesn't have enough precision. Plus designing it would be a major headache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4OJAkc1hAA

This guy used a $500 one. You can get or make others just as good for 2-3 hundred, and I'm an example of that.
TheGenovesan
TheGenovesan
65 posts
Nomad

In a documentary I found about Defence Distributed, the makers of the liberator, the guy there shows off a semi-automatic rifle with one of the main parts being printed off by a 3D printer. The remaining pieces were easily obtainable. The piece itself could withstand around 30 rounds, however the documentary posted on a clip at the end that the creator had taken a short while after the documentary was filmed where he shot over 600 rounds with it. One of the only issues I noticed with it was that it was being made through an $8000 3D printer. Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA

Why not restrict the 3d printers instead while they're still a rarity?

Personally, I wouldn't want them to even be restricted. 3D printers are an excellent creation. They have a variety of good uses and have already established a good userbase of people creating cool designs that you can print off yourself. It provides a way that people can make their own cool stuff affordably. The problem is the ability to make guns with it.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Personally, I wouldn't want them to even be restricted. 3D printers are an excellent creation. They have a variety of good uses and have already established a good userbase of people creating cool designs that you can print off yourself. It provides a way that people can make their own cool stuff affordably. The problem is the ability to make guns with it.

and if people are going to make everything by themselve then the companies producing these items will all go down. leaving you and me whitout a job.

great we have a printer now that can make anything we want. but we dont have the money to buy the base material anymore because the cup factory i used to work is closed now everyone makes their own cups.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

great we have a printer now that can make anything we want. but we dont have the money to buy the base material anymore because the cup factory i used to work is closed now everyone makes their own cups.

So you're going to ban a business, for the greater good of business?
If not, then what is your genius solution to getting rid of or otherwise rendering useless these marvelous printers?
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

So you're going to ban a business, for the greater good of business?

ban 1 business to safe hundreds, no, thousands, no, millions of businesses...

yes i would do that.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

ban 1 business to safe hundreds, no, thousands, no, millions of businesses...

yes i would do that.

And exactly how would you do that? Get every country to agree to not give their people the ability to create nearly anything? Attack the manufacturers? Attack the buyers? Attack the populace in general? paint slogans of "AVOID THE 3D PRINTER BEAST, FOR IT IS A FALSE PROPHET"
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Restrict the better printers for industrial use, like car-building robots and things like that.

Though there's a problem with that too, which is that the big businesses will be able to print all the spare parts they can print, making them less dependent of those businesses building the spare parts, while the small businesses will have to buy the now more expensive parts.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

And exactly how would you do that? Get every country to agree to not give their people the ability to create nearly anything?

why do we need to be a world police force? every country can decide for their own.

if you want businesses in your country to be closed because there is no more demand for the products then dont do it. it's a possible result that should not be underestimated. but if you want to. then your free to do so.

Attack the manufacturers? Attack the buyers? Attack the populace in general?

sup whit the attacks?
if it's outlawed then they are not on the market.
no manufacturers, no buyers, no... well we still have a population but were not gonna attack them. =/

paint slogans of "AVOID THE 3D PRINTER BEAST, FOR IT IS A FALSE PROPHET"

now your just being silly.
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

If you can Afford a 3D printer you can afford a gun plain and simple this may even be a good thing as to cheaply manufacture arms for the military.

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

[/quote]if it's outlawed then they are not on the market.
no manufacturers, no buyers, no[quote]
I could completley disprove this.
Cocaine,marijauna,herione,ecstasy,acid,shrooms,illegal firearms,moonshine, need I continue

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

If you can Afford a 3D printer you can afford a gun plain and simple this may even be a good thing as to cheaply manufacture arms for the military.

Printers used to cost an arm and a leg. Now you can get one for less than a hundred bucks. Do you seriously think that printers will stay expensive? That's remarkably naive.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I could completley disprove this.
Cocaine,marijauna,herione,ecstasy,acid,shrooms,illegal firearms,moonshine, need I continue

the legal market as i was talking about legal businesses.
plz. read where the quote was coming from
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

I say we definately put restrictions on who gets these guns, and how. As of right now, anyone with a 3D printer can get a gun. Yes, it's plastic; But it also fires real bullets, and can easily make it through metal detectors. They're too dangerous for public access. It's just another threat that we can add to our lists.
I am against printed guns, and believe they should be illegal until proper laws are set regarding them.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

It's interesting how whenever we come up with a technology that could vastly improve our lives, we find a way to kill ourselves with it.

Showing 46-60 of 64