ForumsWEPRAnimal abusing- what should we do about it?

26 4135
stumpyyy
stumpyyy
173 posts
Nomad

i think that if someone is abusing any kind of animal they need to either go to jail for life, or get the death penalty, or both. i hate people that abuse anykind of animal its just soo wrong.

• 26 Replies
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

either go to jail for life, or get the death penalty, or both.

I am surprised no one else has pointed this out yet. Just read that part again.

Anyways, that is not punishment that fits the crime. I know animal cruelty is wrong but you are comparing an animal abuser to a mass murderer who killed people in horrendous ways. I think animal cruelty should stick to domestic animals such as dogs, cats, hamsters, etc.
Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

Animal abuse is often either an indication of the capacity to harm humans, or should at least raise some red flags about this capacity in manifesting in some incipient stage. As such, it should be dealt with accordingly, and not solely as a deterrent for future 'roperty damage' or causing suffering to 'lesser beings'. This doesn't mean that we should impose a death sentence; we don't usually tend to go this far with human mistreatment. Also, death isn't a deterrent - it's a quick fix of questionable morality. What we need is something that will address the psychology that makes animal abuse a reality, as well as manage the destructive behaviors in an effective way - whatever that may entail.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Um both of those are a bit radical. I think depending on the severity of the case. But i don't think it should be over 20 years. I mean, they are just Animals, we eat some of them for heavens sakes, but there definitely should be a punishment, most likely a heavy fine.

But for now i think that i will call you "Mr. Liberal".

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

I think in more modernized societies animal abuse is indeed seen as a definite "wrong" and could be a stepping stone on the way to harming humans. But this is certainly not a universal maxim and I don't see any basis for such a maxim to be established.
I am, of course, speaking purely philosophically and would never harm an animal, but I think we should question how these ideologies came about in the first place.
Students of Descartes often went around kicking dogs because they believed the animals had no soul and therefore could not experience pain. Hmmm...

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Elaborate, Moe.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Yeah can you tell more about that it is interesting.

(Although evidence that dogs can fell pain is shockingly overwhelming).

Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

But this is certainly not a universal maxim and I don't see any basis for such a maxim to be established.

And I meant no implication that it could be a universal maxim...I tend not to clutch at universal maxims, certainly not in the murky midst of those "wicked" social problems.

Students of Descartes often went around kicking dogs because they believed the animals had no soul and therefore could not experience pain.

Yep. I think now adays, however, it is fairly intuitive that the kind of reaction you see when a dog is kicked is indicative of pain. We don't need to immerse ourselves in all the medical literature to be convinced of this. To be more specific then, I'd be interested in tracing the development of the ideologies that challenge the moral consideration of animals throughout the history of the western philosophical tradition (which I've actually spent a fair bit of time researching), since these same attitudes are just as alive today as they were through the times of the ancients and all the way forward through time. As you note, one's metaphysical commitments shape one's moral considerations, and that has to be part of analysis.
WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

I am a firm believer in an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Not too long ago in my region of the US of A a guy dragged a dog behind his car and the dog was hurt so bad it almost died. I believe it you do that to a car than they should get the same treatment. If you kill someone, you die. If you rape someone, bend over "Good time Charlie"! I always have felt strongly about that belief of mine.

lucias_o
lucias_o
64 posts
Nomad

I am against animal cruelty for hair products and such but humans were made to eat meat.

You could imprison animals for the order of nature.

But there is no excuse for beating an animal. This is a good quote:

"A dog you hit will follow your orders, but a dog you are good to will give its life for yours."

masta_cheef
masta_cheef
670 posts
Nomad

"A dog you hit will follow your orders, but a dog you are good to will give its life for yours."

that is a really good quote. and i do think that beating animals for no reason is punishable, but not a punishment of death.
Craze77
Craze77
813 posts
Peasant

I agree with MastaCheef! Beatin animals is wrong. Wen i see mistreated animals it makes me want to cry. Thats how much I love animals!

Showing 16-26 of 26