ForumsThe Tavern

Armor Games Community Activity Initiative

Thread Locked

Posted Jun 4, '13 at 11:26pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,425 posts

Knight

Okay, now what has changed since 2009-10?

I wasn't present in 2009, but to keep this as short as possible: people. That's it. There's nothing magical or special about it, there were simply more people around. Times change and so do people. People come and people go. You can do things that may interest them to use it more or stick around, but ultimately they'll do what they want. As we age more important things may present themselves and less time will be spent on an online forum. Or you get bored from the same old stuff.
Was the community advertised during this time?

I don't know about 2009, but in 2010 I don't remember any community advertising.

Posted Jun 4, '13 at 11:43pm

Riptizoid101

Riptizoid101

6,361 posts

I wasn't present in 2009, but to keep this as short as possible: people. That's it. There's nothing magical or special about it, there were simply more people around. Times change and so do people. People come and people go. You can do things that may interest them to use it more or stick around, but ultimately they'll do what they want. As we age more important things may present themselves and less time will be spent on an online forum. Or you get bored from the same old stuff.

The question is, what had attracted that group of people in the first place? What was it about Armor Games back then that attracted people to come to the forums that the Armor Games of today does not?

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 12:01am

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

A lot of things. As Matrix already pointed out, the type of people have changed. The demographic is changing. AG is drawing in the next generation of users, and, for whatever reason, they aren't too keen on coming to the community. Another theory, however, might be that 2008 was the year that the "younger" generation was brought in, and now, in 2012 (and to a point 2013), the next "younger" generation is coming in. It may be necessary to wait a year to let the generation transition finish, but I see no reason to be lazy now.

Other than people, AG has fallen a bit behind. It's been the same old AG while its competitors are speeding along and are paving the way of Flash gaming. AG has a nice homely feel, but AG might go belly up if it only appeals to those who dislike change. The gaming industry is ever-changing, and AG needs to be that way too.

With the mods growing up and whatnot, we don't have a whole lot of "big brother" around. An authorial presence feels nice because it gives us regular users a feeling of protection and security. It's also nice to mix things up a little and give the next generation a chance at leading the pack.

Was the community advertised during this time?

I don't know, but did it need to be? It seems like the AG of old has a larger forum-user base, but it still had that homely feel. My guess would be that members found friends and brought them in. Maybe we just aren't taking that initiative, I don't know.

What answers should we send back to Ferret?

Argue and come to a consensus. We send the answers created with the consensus.

Can someone look into Twitter please?

Cough

---

I have a bit more to say but I'll leave it at that for now.

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 12:05am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,425 posts

Knight

The question is, what had attracted that group of people in the first place? What was it about Armor Games back then that attracted people to come to the forums that the Armor Games of today does not?

Discussion and contests. That is what it has always been about for every forum.
Besides the people and activity levels nothing important has changed for the forum, and those two things are not controllable.
Advertising the community on their social networks will likely have more people checking it out, but beyond that nothing is certain. You just have to accept that and let it run its course.

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 12:46am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,090 posts

A thought

The AG of old is, as we all agree, certainly not the same as the AG of now. The people were a lot more engaged with the community back then, a lot more so than people now are of our AG...but we can't just simply sit by and hope that something of the sort will happen again and leave it at that.

We aren't the same AG...and to simply do nothing and hope for the best would be completely asinine of ourselves. We are a new AG...a different AG...and AG that isn't blessed with a natural draw like the one of old. And so, in response, we are adapting and brainstorming ideas to make this AG of now an AG that is bustling.

My guess would be that members found friends and brought them in. Maybe we just aren't taking that initiative, I don't know.

From looking back at certain interactions and whatnot...it does seem that there were a few users that had quite a lot of interactions outside of AG..whether it be knowing each other personally or in another site.

Discussion and contests.

An example of what their power can do...

When the mods/admins created the new Poetry/Haiku contests...for the first round they advertised it (and even offered a prize for the victor). This effort of theirs created a staggering amount of activity in the contest thread.

The rounds after, with no advertising...not so much.

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 2:30pm

Bronze

Bronze

2,454 posts

I can only speak for myself, but I know I came to AG for Sonny and Sonny 2. I spent a lot of my time in the Sonny 2 forum and worked my way out to other parts of the forum. I'd venture to say that more speciallized forum sections like the Sonny 2 forum could attract more users to be apart of the community. And like me, they'll branch out to the rest.

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 3:07pm

danielo

danielo

1,779 posts

From looking back at certain interactions and whatnot...it does seem that there were a few users that had quite a lot of interactions outside of AG..whether it be knowing each other personally or in another site.

They call it Facebook today.

I think that we need to do a 1+1 -

people are still playing the games right? {moew then 10k playing every new game}. What we need is to attract them to the forums in some way. But we also want the smarter ones to come by {i dont want to offend, but above the age of 14+-}.

I dont think that this "friend bring friend" is gonna work. i by myself brought to Armor games 30-+ Peopels back in 2008 {befor i opend a user [and not to the forums]} but lets face it - the armor games atmospheir is uniqe. not everyone join in. there is something that stick us togheter.

We dont have a Web comic, we dont have a Web show, Not blogs and no 'private' religion. We dont have the same hobbie or a craft. we dont work at the same job and are not even at the same age. some of us are right wingers and some left wingers, and some dont have an opinion at all. from USA to Singapor, from Saudi-arabia to Israel. Religius {some say zealots} to completly atheist. a ByPasser will ask himself what we have in common. but apearently we have something.
The love for flash games? i dont know. But we need to find it and then im sure that then we will be able to point on what can we "show off" to make this Byzantine empire rise again.

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 4:28pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,398 posts

Knight

Okay, now what has changed since 2009-10? Was the community advertised during this time?

I have no idea, I was not a member of the site then. I'm assuming it didn't but I can't be too sure. I do know that advertising did go around in 2012 so if it was done then it must have been done in the past.

Can someone look into Twitter please? I don't have an account.

Daleks, pang, and I can look into it. We are active on Twitter so any help we can offer we will.

The AG of old is, as we all agree, certainly not the same as the AG of now. The people were a lot more engaged with the community back then, a lot more so than people now are of our AG...but we can't just simply sit by and hope that something of the sort will happen again and leave it at that.

We aren't the same AG...and to simply do nothing and hope for the best would be completely asinine of ourselves. We are a new AG...a different AG...and AG that isn't blessed with a natural draw like the one of old. And so, in response, we are adapting and brainstorming ideas to make this AG of now an AG that is bustling.

I don't know why, but when I read that it felt like someone said it while standing on an alter and in the end there will be applause. lol

It's good but needs a little bit of work. I recommend we put several idea's to consider forth, such as Sals big forum button on the forums. Maybe right next to my games you can put "Gaming Community" or "Online Sanctuary". It seems appropriate and it will catch attention.

Ferret already told me that the admins are working to incorporate features from AG3 into AG2, one of which being Quests (I think).

Not much I'm assuming. It's hard to tell without having to do some serious digging so we can only assume (unless you really want to work that hard).

Other than people, AG has fallen a bit behind. It's been the same old AG while its competitors are speeding along and are paving the way of Flash gaming. AG has a nice homely feel, but AG might go belly up if it only appeals to those who dislike change. The gaming industry is ever-changing, and AG needs to be that way too.

As hard as it is for me to say, Sals right, AG is a bit old fashioned when it comes to the "New Age of online gaming". The homey feel is nice but they will need to evolve into a new more clean cut system of games, which I can imagine is hard to do seeing as AG3 took several years to make and couldn't be put out there very easily.

It's also nice to mix things up a little and give the next generation a chance at leading the pack.

The thing is that AG currently does not have users who are "Mod Material". I mean, Matrix would make a good mod, Ernie would make a good mod (if he would stop this freaky "I'm leaving and not coming back" thing). And those are the people I can think of off the top of my head. Finding new mods will make the site a bit better but it wont be easy passing the mantle down.

I think that with all of our brainstorming we should come up with at least 3 solid ideas, present it to him, and see which approach to making AG better he approves of and with the admins help put it into place. I don't think discussing the issues AG has currently would help, after all, it is quiet obvious. The admins seem more interested in what it would take to put AG back on the map without changing too much.

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 11:29pm

xeano321

xeano321

3,136 posts

Knight

I sent a reply to Ferret, mostly in your guys own words. We'll see what happens. =D

Posted Jun 6, '13 at 3:00pm

Drink

Drink

1,654 posts

my activity has been getting smaller and smaller since AP was taken away and replaced with those achievement things, if it was still ap i would be more active