ForumsThe Tavern

Armor Games Community Activity Initiative

Thread Locked

Posted Jul 14, '13 at 11:23pm

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,221 posts

Okay then sorry about that. Let me rephrase

"I see you guys talking about stuff but I'm choosing not to reply DIRECTLY to it because then everything that happened about 20 pages ago will happen all over again and I wouldn't really like to be a part of that"

Is that better for you?

Also GRAHAM WHADDUP it's been a while. We should CT some time.

Mino, could you please elaborate why you think it would be a good thing? Just give me a few more details and such I guess.

Posted Jul 15, '13 at 12:37am

xeano321

xeano321

2,557 posts

Knight

Okay, prop 4 bites the dust too...

Can you guys please come up with some ideas? This whole thing can't be resting on me you know. I need some inspiration or suggestions...

Posted Jul 15, '13 at 12:38am

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,246 posts

Knight

Mino, could you please elaborate why you think it would be a good thing? Just give me a few more details and such I guess.

It would be good because we have a relevant issue found. No cause that can be solved is found however. Its progress none the less. Currently we can't do something amazing like take a entire summer camp of kids and promote AG community activity so they make accounts. So anything small is worth something.

This action however is null and void because we have an solution but no real cause to the issue that can be solved. Like I said, If we give them an issue it will just swim in with the rest of the sea of issues.

xeano idea is simple: Lets say we take Ferret, make him come up with a general calculation for the forum activity. These calculations (per forum lets say) will find a root cause to the issue. For instance:

There are 15 forums on Armor Games. Each forum host a subject. We find the forums that lack in activity, where we have to come up with an estimate, then observe the subjects being made in these forums to see what is wrong, then fix spread AGCAI's Intiative in the areas that are relevant for the moment being.

The only thing we can do however is make more interesting posts, but the root cause of the issue itself roots from the fact that people prefer sites such as Addicting Games or Newgrounds. AG3 would have put a new look for AG that would have attracted some people. But not changing the site for 5 years and it running into constant glitches (in the past), spam (which was common in the past) and lack of unintuitive ideas to attract users (in the past again) and maintaining users is luck in itself.

User account activity seems to be fine. Users are active but not going to the forums. And the forum posts that are being made are not working out so well. WERP seems to be the haven for conspiracy theories, the popular media is just as good as the media being put out, games is fine thanks to the eighth generation gaming consoles being released, and the Tavern is just random. We have issues. Calculation will help.

With all of this, lets just do a BETA test to see if calculations work? It doesn't hurt and its effort being put into the site.

Posted Jul 15, '13 at 4:19am

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,221 posts

I don't exactly know the day to day workload of the admins and such, but the community activity is a concern of their (I hope) but I don't think it ranges very high on their to do list.

I COULD BE WRONG. I probably am, But still. This is a great community, yes. But considering the most active admin status I have seen is Ferret and for a time, Corymn or whatever, I don't think we are suuuuuper important to the admins. That is why we have mods.To keep us from throwing pitchforks at the admins with all of these issues. I KNOW of the other admins, but they all fix the tech parts of the site, not the community.

Yes not changing the site for 5 years could be a set back of attacting new users. But that's why AG3 beta existed. It's still in action, I think. But moving rather slow. It is a big change in the whole AG2 scene, of course. But it sort of died off, you know? Meh, this is not what is important right now.

I think a big issue of activity is just that there is so much in the community. People like to be a part of something new. I think that if/when AG3 comes out, brand new forums would make activity skyrocket.

Calculation of each section won't matter if the entire AGCAI or whatever official thing this is supposed to be isn't even made up of members in each area. If you wanted to spread out people in each section that wasn't doing well, you would need people who have knowledge in that area. Why do you think the AMW is doing so poorly? No one here currently does poetry or writing or art or music. Why would they visit that section if it doesn't interest them or if they knew nothing about it? The issue still lies in RECRUITING people to the forums from the newbie section. If we had the AGCAI kids doing this and trying to point them out in each section they might belong in, then you would see more activity from new kids. Everyone that is here in the current community has been here a while, and nothing huge is happening for any of the sections. Of course the WEPR and Gaming subforum are getting the most action, because thing are HAPPENING in those topics. Zimmerman trial, new games or consoles coming out, etc. But the other sections have a more difficult time because nothing new is happening. It doesn't just have to be a well thought out post to attract attention.

It's like hearing a new song. It's new, so you listen to it more because maybe you don't know all the lyrics yet. But when you've been listening to the same song over and over again on repeat for the past week, it gets old and you find a new song. It doesn't mean that the song wasn't good, it just means that it's worn out its worth.

Posted Jul 15, '13 at 6:26am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,276 posts

No one here currently does poetry or writing or art or music

>_> Ahem

Of course the WEPR and Gaming subforum are getting the most action, because thing are HAPPENING in those topics. Zimmerman trial, new games or consoles coming out, etc. But the other sections have a more difficult time because nothing new is happening.

Or, we have Forum Games..which is thriving. Partly due to its "quick fix" for posts..and partly due to its quirky games.

Posted Jul 15, '13 at 12:55pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

Okay then sorry about that. Let me rephrase

I think Strop's point was that it's redundant to post that you're ignoring something, because by failing to mention it in a post, it should be obvious that you're ignoring it.

No one here currently does poetry or writing or art or music.

Dear Diary: Today I learned that the reason no one has commented on my poetry thread in a few months is because apparently I no longer exist. Other than that, great day.

*pulls trigger*

Posted Jul 15, '13 at 3:12pm

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,221 posts

I think Strop's point was that it's redundant to post that you're ignoring something, because by failing to mention it in a post, it should be obvious that you're ignoring it.

I posted it partly to get people to realize how stupid it was, thus the smearing it all over your friend comment.

>_> Ahem

*cough* well where is your thread and junk when was the last update?!

Dear Diary: Today I learned that the reason no one has commented on my poetry thread in a few months is because apparently I no longer exist. Other than that, great day.

Yeah this is me. But considering you're blackmailing me to post in your thread....  > >

Okay so I have 2 kids in the AMW with me but still! We all know how dead it is.

Posted Jul 15, '13 at 5:42pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,276 posts

*cough* well where is your thread and junk when was the last update?!

Like 8 days ago. I've just had shiz distracting me from it >_>

Okay so I have 2 kids in the AMW with me but still! We all know how dead it is.

Emp is still alive gurl

Posted Jul 15, '13 at 6:12pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,246 posts

Knight

but the community activity is a concern of their (I hope) but I don't think it ranges very high on their to do list.

True, it may be a concern yet something they are not fixing. But the Admins need to take into consideration that the site alone needs help. Activity is fine for now but will constantly fluctuate due to the main factor being the site needs help. It's summer time so the site doesn't have to deal with all these people disappearing because school is taking up there life. But it will happen 2 months from now. The admins are working to put in place some ideas but Quests isn't cutting it. Its a lot of pressure I have to say.

Corymn or whatever

Corymn was a mod, not an admin.

But considering the most active admin status I have seen is Ferret and for a time

The reason Ferret is so active is because he is community manager. He needs to post and communicate to community users what goes and what doesn't. The other admins manage the code for the site and look for glitches. They get paid to work, not talk to users.

I KNOW of the other admins, but they all fix the tech parts of the site, not the community.

The reason the Admins are like this is because they bit off more then they can chew with AG3. It took up so much of their time they had little time left on a working day to manage this site. Now that they are working to bring it here, they are slowly integrating pieces of AG3 into AG2 (as Ferret himself told me. Quests being one of the AG3 pieces being incorporated to the site).

But that's why AG3 beta existed. It's still in action, I think.

AG3 Beta was so users could experience what the admins were so hush hush about. And no, AG3 Beta is no longer in testing. As you can see here the AG3 Beta link is dead. That is because the concept of AG3 was destroyed and they are putting in the pieces of AG3 into the current version of Armor Games. As I explained in the above comment.

I think a big issue of activity is just that there is so much in the community. People like to be a part of something new. I think that if/when AG3 comes out, brand new forums would make activity skyrocket.

The admins will never make AG3, but site changes will be made. To be honest, we the users have no idea what the admins do on a daily basis to support AG's future aside from glitch monitoring and bringing in MMO's and Quests. Thats why I think Ferret (or another admin) should post the progress the site is making. I see no progress actually.

No one here currently does poetry or writing or art or music.

Pang does poetry. Daleks does drawing. I think that forum is fine the way it is currently.

Zimmerman trial

The last few posts on WERP were mostly conspiracy theories. The Zimmerman trial was only recent. WERP use to host news subjects but is in a bit of a slump. Not in activity however.

It doesn't just have to be a well thought out post to attract attention.

Oh but it does. It's just like in the movies, build it and they will come. If they don't come the admins will make it nice, put out a spread or something.

Calculation of each section won't matter if the entire AGCAI or whatever official thing this is supposed to be isn't even made up of members in each area.

It is made up of users in each area. Pretty much. Pang is all over the place, I am a frequent WERP, Tavern, and Popular Media poster, daleks post mainly in WERP, Art forum, and the Tavern and many other post all over the place too. It isn't hard to tell the forums is falling apart. Calculations not only would give an exact chart of how the forums are doing but will be able to keep up on patterns such as dead threads floating about, disinterested subjects, and just plain people don't care. With these calculations not only can we make the best possible move to promote activity but make sure it doesn't happen again with the help of Ferret.

And AGCAI is a guild with a registered trademark and copyright.

It's like hearing a new song. It's new, so you listen to it more because maybe you don't know all the lyrics yet. But when you've been listening to the same song over and over again on repeat for the past week, it gets old and you find a new song. It doesn't mean that the song wasn't good, it just means that it's worn out its worth.

Before you can make a new song you need pre production, pricing, planning, possibly new instruments production, label finding, then touring. You can't just go up on a stage and say "Screw it! Everythings old. Lets just make something new and put it out there people will love it man!". We are going through the production phase I'd say.

Posted Jul 15, '13 at 6:24pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,691 posts

Knight

Corymn was a mod, not an admin.

Wrong. Cormyn was an admin.