ForumsThe TavernArmor Games Community Activity Initiative

428 73885
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Welcome! Please grab a cup of coffee, and one of those delicious donuts most kindly donated by R2.

As you can guess from the title, this is yet another attempt at solving the AG activity problem. This problem has been ever present since late 2010. Many reasons as to the cause have been presented, ranging from a much delayed release of AG3, to lacking of a community manager, or the end of the flash gaming era.

I do have a couple of ideas concerning activity and how to increase it. Whether these are the keys to solving the issues at hand or not is unbeknownst to me, but I most certainly feel it is definitely worth the effort.

I'm not going into details - yet. Firstly, I'm going to need a few volunteers. More the better, but not more then 20 (20, yeah right...) Don't volunteer then become inactive that would not be beneficial to anything.

• 428 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Or we could do something like this...

http://i.imm.io/17AOO.png

Or like this...

http://i.imm.io/17ATa.png

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

When you first saw the "Community" button..what did you think it meant?

I thought it was a list of user profiles. I had no idea it had anything to do with Forums...I accidentally clicked on it while trying to look at the store. Hence the appearance of Mr. Awesome.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Alright, I got an idea. Seeing as the title "Opperation: Activity" is a bit bland, me and pang came up with an idea for a new name! How about "Armor Games Community Activity Initiative". Hmm? What do you think xeano?

You haven't seen me in the newcomer's thread, have you?

No. I think... no wait, ye-... I remember someone saying stuff about doughnuts before. All this talk of doughnuts is making me hungry.

That's absurd... Here is a smoothie that R2 wanted me to give to you.

Alright... but if something goes wrong I blame xeano! *has the smoothie* Ok I need 5 more of those!

When you first saw the "Community" button..what did you think it meant?

Basically what pang said, I thought it was the Armor Games administrative community. Which makes sense because Community sounds like the Armor Games employees, the "About" section of the site sounds like a archived biography of the site, not a list of admins and mods.

I thought it was a list of user profiles. I had no idea it had anything to do with Forums...I accidentally clicked on it while trying to look at the store. Hence the appearance of Mr. Awesome.

See? I'm not the only one having issues there. Community seems to be a vague term, plus, it's a small button. It wont get the attention of newer users that easily.

@Sal

The first picture works fine. I don't think putting the forums button in the user control panel would work considering the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with the user account features. But it's a good start.

-

I have an idea that would help the forums out a bit. The are a lot of buttons on the Armor Games bar, and it is a bit overwhelming. I recommend taking the "Game News" icon out and instead making the "Help", Store", "Community (soon to be called "Forums&quot, and "Submit Games" buttons more prominent. That way, if the admins don't like the massive forum button right next to the Armor Games symbol they could do this to make the bar look more clean.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

So I thought we could have some sort of logo on every thread that this thread helped create. Something to leave our mark that's just on the OP.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2w3alxe.jpg

Thoughts?

The first picture works fine. I don't think putting the forums button in the user control panel would work considering the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with the user account features. But it's a good start.

Alrighty.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

So I thought we could have some sort of logo on every thread that this thread helped create.

So we're going to make threads and put that in the OP? Seems simple enough.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

The first picture works fine.

Did you mean the really first one at the end of p6 where it's big and in the top middle, or the first one at the top of p7?

Or we could do something like this...
http://i.imm.io/17AOO.png

That was the one I was thinking of.

I recommend taking the "Game News" icon out

I'd make it a dropdown list instead.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

So we're going to make threads and put that in the OP? Seems simple enough.

Yeah, for the objective where we're supposed to make the forums more interesting, I think it would be cool.

Did you mean the really first one at the end of p6 where it's big and in the top middle, or the first one at the top of p7?

I think he means the one at the end of p6.

That was the one I was thinking of.

OK. Any reason why? Merely saying, "I like this" doesn't help me much.

That, or combine the news sections. No sense in differentiating them when they're the same for the most part.

Also the "Submit Games" feature doesn't work anymore, the "Videos" link could be removed, and there could be a "Social Media" link that takes people to a page where links can be found for FB, Twitter and YouTube. "Help and "Store" are fine.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Any reason why?

It's direct and noticible without being as blatant and 'in yo face' as the bold centered one before it. If it's in the dropdown, it's sort of hidden.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

http://i.imm.io/17AMM.png

That was the one I was thinking of. But the one you listed Palpatine would work just as well.

Making a drop list would be very efficient if you think about it. You could make one icon called "More" and it could show a drop list of all the other icons that don't really need to be shown on the bar and make it look jumbled.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

"Armor Games Community Activity Initiative". Hmm? What do you think xeano?

Sounds good to me.

My screen recorder is not working out, so let me see if I can explain it in text (here we go...)

First off, you do not have to count each post separately, to speed up the process, count each page of each thread. (For example, you have 10 posts on each page (I've found this count different on different computers, so make sure and count em before you start), you find a thread you want to count and look at the last post date (E.G. May 15th) then find the page with the first post, (May 1st for example) then count the pages until the last post and multiply the number of pages by the number of posts on each page, and there you go. (Make sure and count the number of posts on the first and last pages, these can vary. Once you get going, you can buzz right through all your threads in a short time.

All sound good? Any questions? (Hurry up and ask, I've got to go to work in an hour.)
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Wait, I just realized, can't you just look under the "replies" column and use those totals?

And I also realized that we're only doing this in the month of May. The first time I read it, I thought it was for all the posts in the year of 2009, 11, and 12. Phew!

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

can't you just look under the "replies" column and use those totals?

Keep in mind that some replies may be for different months/years

-----

Are we to count the OP as a post...or no?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Does it really matter if activity has increased or decreased? Even if this year is the pinnacle, it's already established that it's much lower than it could be.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, I know, but it's a lot easier if you see the starting and ending posts are within May, you can just use that number.

And I'm counting the OP, but I can always subtract the number of threads from the number of posts if the OP is not going to count.

I'm officially done with all the posts in May 2009, excluding any ones that come after it. I have 1215 total. Gah, it's going to be really annoying counting those... I'm taking a break lol.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I'm officially done with all the posts in May 2009, excluding any ones that come after it.

So just the ones that died after April 30 and before June 1?
Showing 61-75 of 428