Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

General War Discussion

Posted May 27, '13 at 2:23am

Blkasp

Blkasp

1,357 posts

Unless it's a utopia where everyone sucks a lotus and agrees on everything, weapons will be used as tools.

Of course, but I am portraying a world where no war exists, therefore there is no need to develop weapons as there is no need to use them. The time and research used on weapon development would otherwise be used on progression in another area for the advancement of humans such as Agriculture.

In the real world, as you pointed out, this would never happen, therefore we are still progressing but in the area of weaponry development instead of alternative points.

Posted May 27, '13 at 2:27am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,436 posts

a world where no war exists

No war, or no violence? I mean that police and stuff will require things to deal with issues.

Posted May 27, '13 at 2:40am

Blkasp

Blkasp

1,357 posts

No war, or no violence? I mean that police and stuff will require things to deal with issues.

You are correct. No violence is more appropriate. Although just no war would lead to less (if any) development of weapons of mass destruction.

Posted May 27, '13 at 2:42am

Blkasp

Blkasp

1,357 posts

You are correct. No violence is more appropriate. Although just no war would lead to less (if any) development of weapons of mass destruction.

**Compared to today's standards**

Posted May 27, '13 at 2:51am

infinight888

infinight888

41 posts

Currently, it's not, because we know to a realitively high degree of certainty that they lack the range to do so. However, they do have the ability to attack SK and others. For them, the threat is very real.

Really? If North Korea attacks South Korea, then they know that the countries within the U.N. have the capabilities to wipe them off the map. They're not that stupid. Which reminds me, I think if an ally is at war and they were not the aggressor, then I think we could also help that ally.

Posted May 27, '13 at 8:53am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,239 posts

Knight

Really? If North Korea attacks South Korea, then they know that the countries within the U.N. have the capabilities to wipe them off the map. They're not that stupid. Which reminds me, I think if an ally is at war and they were not the aggressor, then I think we could also help that ally.

The UN has very weak mandates for mediation through armed force, and mostly sends troops into territories where the main government is weak (Somalia, Congo), or the country at hand is rather small on the global stage (Cyprus). It won't/can't even send troops with the mandate to fire upon enemies first to Syria, let alone NK.

Posted May 27, '13 at 7:39pm

infinight888

infinight888

41 posts

The UN has very weak mandates for mediation through armed force, and mostly sends troops into territories where the main government is weak (Somalia, Congo), or the country at hand is rather small on the global stage (Cyprus). It won't/can't even send troops with the mandate to fire upon enemies first to Syria, let alone NK.

Okay, perhaps not the U.N., but there is still a few countries that would come to the aid of South Korea as long as they aren't the aggressors, and the U.S. would be one of them. North Korea isn't prepared for the possibility of a war with the United States. Even if we wouldn't put boots on the ground, I'm sure the North Koreans would still have to deal aerial attacks and drone strikes.

Posted May 27, '13 at 11:51pm

NEC001

NEC001

14 posts

Is war ever inevitable?

Is it justifiable?

Is waging war a part of human nature?

Is war a legitimate form of foreign policy?

Does war have a place in the 21st century?

Is war necessary to the progression of humanity; or does it hinder it?

To my knowledge, in order
for the most part, yes
depends on your point of view
It must be, for humanity has been doing it for a while
I can't see why it would be
I'll say yes because of history
and yes. We were able to create the rocket for space based on the V-2 Rocket in WWII.

Posted May 28, '13 at 7:14am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,239 posts

Knight

Okay, perhaps not the U.N., but there is still a few countries that would come to the aid of South Korea as long as they aren't the aggressors, and the U.S. would be one of them. North Korea isn't prepared for the possibility of a war with the United States. Even if we wouldn't put boots on the ground, I'm sure the North Koreans would still have to deal aerial attacks and drone strikes.

Major duh. That's why NK doesn't actively wage a large scale war.

Posted May 29, '13 at 8:56am

SonOfVader

SonOfVader

113 posts

Major duh. That's why NK doesn't actively wage a large scale war.

That, and kim jong-un has virtually no allies.

Reply to General War Discussion

You must be logged in to post a reply!