Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

General War Discussion

Posted Jun 4, '13 at 10:47pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

464 posts

Sorry for double posting, just want to say that if my long ramble up there is a bit incoherant it's because I was thinking and typing at the same time. I basically just wrote what came to mind, and I noticed I didn't really answer the second from last question. xD

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 6:33am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,077 posts

Knight

In order for Hitler to reign control of Europe he revolutionized countless inventions and machines. In a way, Hitler's research programs helped speed up the the way we use technology today. So yes, sometimes war is necessary.

Doesn't mean we need war to advance our knowledge. We have made huge leaps and bounds in the last decade, without a major war spurring these developments.

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 6:57am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

sometimes war is necessary.

war is never necessary. only when 1 party has already crossed the line to violence then it is justified to defend yourself.
but going into war 1st isn't necessary, and never will be.

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 7:08am

danielo

danielo

1,394 posts

And you restarted the thread... how fun...

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 7:45am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

well your just about israel. understandable as you live there. but i closed that book long ago. i'm not following anything about it any longer. as i c no end to it. (viva palestina libre)

it was more generally speaking.

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 5:01pm

SonOfVader

SonOfVader

113 posts

Assad started to say that "the public want war".

Assad stopped representing the Syrian people when he went to war with them. Before that, even.

Posted Jun 5, '13 at 5:05pm

SonOfVader

SonOfVader

113 posts

Sorry for double posting, just want to say that if my long ramble up there is a bit incoherant it's because I was thinking and typing at the same time. I basically just wrote what came to mind, and I noticed I didn't really answer the second from last question. xD

No problem, thanks for sharing :)

Have to say I disagree with you over the necessity WW2, being a European.

Posted Jun 7, '13 at 12:44am

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,257 posts

Knight

Is war ever inevitable?

No, it is not. Anything can be solved through conversation. At very best if someones an issue put poison in their water or food or something.

Is it justifiable?

No, it is not again. Why? Casualties is a price payed in blood, this blood is being spilled by people like you and me. Issue's government makes is a price the people pay, so it is not justifiable at all.

Is waging war a part of human nature?

Engaging in conflict is human nature yes, all out war, not so much. You don't see an army of gorilla's ready to smash a militia of orangutans in the forest. Evolution can not be achieved by dissolution.

Is war a legitimate form of foreign policy?

I can't answer this question with all certainty when I don't have much knowledge when it comes to "political matters". So I'm going to say that the definition of it being a policy is strictly verbose.

Does war have a place in the 21st century?

No, we've come this far from being monkey's (as some people have claimed) we should be doing productive and creative missions, set an example for the world. Eventually the rest of the world will get with the program.

Is war necessary to the progression of humanity; or does it hinder it?

The only progression it makes is for the world to learn from it's mistakes, which it has not. People should learn that violence is no solution when it comes to the greater good.

Posted Jun 7, '13 at 11:26am

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,226 posts

No, it is not. Anything can be solved through conversation. At very best if someones an issue put poison in their water or food or something.

Unfortunately, some people aren't interested in talking things out peacefully, and when one person wants something the other person has it isn't likely to happen peacefully.

I can't answer this question with all certainty when I don't have much knowledge when it comes to "political matters". So I'm going to say that the definition of it being a policy is strictly verbose.

Foreign policy, imo, is how you go about trying to change the situation between your country and another country. Sometimes, this may include warfare, not just politics.

No, we've come this far from being monkey's (as some people have claimed) we should be doing productive and creative missions, set an example for the world. Eventually the rest of the world will get with the program.

War can be found anywhere in time and space, just because we are "advanced" or "evolved" doesn't mean we are any better than the humans that lived 6000 years ago. It is just the mindset of humans.

The only progression it makes is for the world to learn from it's mistakes, which it has not. People should learn that violence is no solution when it comes to the greater good.

The entire space race was part of a war, the Cold War. Because of that we developed many technologies, ten of which are listed in this article.

Although war comes at a great loss of life, more so now that we have better technologies to break things and better technology to avoid our things getting broken.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Jun 28, '13 at 8:54pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

The goal of a state is to act to ensure its existence. All other ideals come second, because said ideals would have no meaning if the state no longer existed. Thus all actions a state commits to must be governed by the will to continue its existence.

War is this an effective means of policy for a state. Defensive war, obviously, as a state is fighting for its existence. Offensive war, too, as the benefits of a successful engagement can be used to ensure the continued existence of a state by reinforcing an image of security and power to other states. It removes states which pose a threat to the state, and serves as an example to those left.

War is merely a means to an end, and so long as the end is achieved, all means are moral.

Reply to General War Discussion

You must be logged in to post a reply!