ForumsArt, Music, and WritingBlacksmithing community??

24 13904
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

As none of you know I blacksmith! I have made all kinds of art and knives, but now I want to know if there are any AG smiths! I think I met one guy but he didnât reply to me XD
anyway I would love to find some people to share ideas with (if there are any)
BLACKSMITHS UNITE!!!!!

• 24 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I've made about a thousand iron daggers in Skyrim, if that counts.

But will you post photos of your works?

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

i will try to post some pics but im not sure how i think i could get my dad to help me.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Six years and we finally have a user who blacksmiths in a Medieval-themed community. It's a sign!

What you do is you take a picture of your works with a camera that can link to your computer, you upload them to your computer, THEN you upload them to a Photobucket or Imageshack account. This is so your pictures can be read in a PNG, JPG, or BMP format. Then you post the link here and we all get to see what you made!

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Personally, I've never forged a weapon of steel before. But I do have to say, Blacksmithing interests me! I know how to blacksmith, I studied it for a while, I just don't have the resources (iron ore, anvils, etc etc). One day I will attempt to make a sword, but for now, I need funds for that.

My dream is to forge a Zweihänder sword out of crucible steel. I've developed a recipe designed to remove 98% of slag from the steel, I just haven't put this recipe to the test yet. I'd also like to experiment with daggers and such, see where that goes. Over all, I love blacksmithing.

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

toemas, could you make me a knife?

I want to see your works, also.

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Iron is cheap, a forge can be easily made, and most of all the biggest resource I would say is time and effort. Relatively speaking iron is one of the cheapest and most common materials around, scrap yards tend to price the stuff really low

Anyways I would like to see your workshop dunno I just read a few books on it and watched some youtube videos lol

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

@Minotaur55 that great that youâre interested! I have one word of advice though, before you try to make a sword or dagger you must get some experience under your belt! You really need to have all the basic before you try anything (hammer control, how to tend a fire ect) it takes most people about 15-25 times before they can make a good nail!
Here are some great websites to look at and find some info on getting a forge and anvil

@light I will not make any promises about a knife because it takes a lot of time and I already said I would give 3-4 knifes to people. Iâm not saying no though.

Iâm working on a knife for myself and a railroad spike tomahawk at the moment, I will post them when there done.

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

[url=http://www.abana.org/]

[url=http://www.anvilfire.com/]
hope these work.

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

Use photobucket, then right click then do image info, then copy the direct link. then press the image button.

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

these are links to blacksmithing sites

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

First link.
Second link.

I hope to see your work. I'm more intrested in swords and knives than a gun.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

I'm currently in metal fabrication in school. We do the same thing, just with larger machines and with torches instead of a forge. Becoming a professional blacksmith is my dream job, and I'm hoping to get into an apprenticeship after highschool.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I didn't realize blacksmiths still existed in a professional sense, I would expect that most of their utility has been replaced by mass production, or is it more in the artistic sense?

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Wow... A lone person keeping the rapidly declining art alive! You should be commended...

What's the coolest thing you've made? A gold horseshoe maybe?

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

@kyouzou
yes, blacksmithing is more of a artistic craft compared to 200-300 years ago when blacksmiths made everything from guns and padlocks to nails and spoons, I know a lot of scroll workers who make gates and art (I know one guy who was paid to make 1500 OF THE SAMETHING if you want to call that mass production) but I also know world renowned bladesmiths that make beautiful and functional blades.

@xeano321
Iâm glad to tell you youâre wrong! the blacksmithing community is thriving and coming to life more and more.I would say the coolest thing Iâve made is not done yet Iâm making a knife for myself and it looks legit at the moment (I will post pic shortly) Iâm done with 95% of the rough forging and now I need to grind temper and put a handle on it.

Showing 1-15 of 24