ForumsThe TavernTxting like is it a good :) or is it stealing teens brains?

22 5949
exitpathuser
exitpathuser
154 posts
Nomad

how do you feel about texting? is it bad or good?

• 22 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I don't mind it..it is basically just a new form of communication.

As for the poor spelling and grammar that many people use because of it...I more so blame this generation in itself than actual texting

bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

Hunh... misspelling 'txting' in the name of the thread about whether texting is good or bad...

I'v made my point.

exitpathuser
exitpathuser
154 posts
Nomad

i was spelling it in text language to be satiracal. I know bad spelling bad humor.

bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

i was spelling it in text language to be satiracal. I know bad spelling bad humor

Okay then, but still... All 'i's are to be capitalized, 'Satiracal' is spelled with an i instead of an a, and it should've been, 'I know using bad spelling is bad humor,' or something along those lines.

Like Pang said, however, texting is an efficient form of communication, usually. Though, I dislike the amount of abbreviations people use to save time.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Texting seems to ok with me. I text a little bit, not on a regular basis. It is not comforting however that most people waste a extreme amount of time texting. I swear, I go to a mall and see peoples faces pressed up against their phone all the time. You will not believe how many times people have bumped into me because they are texting and walking at the same time.

Another thing about texting I do not like is it's constant attention to detail. People text and drive all the time and it is annoying. Plus you see commercials about people dying all the time because they where texting and driving. It's kind of stupid how people can get addicted to the concept of texting and die in the process. So that is an area where texting sucks.

Another thing about texting I hate (this is my last rant) is the "text talk". The constant use of acronyms kills me. What annoys me even further is when people use acronyms when they are actually talking to me. When people say acronyms in a conversation and I am right in front of them I want to punch them in the face. But that's generally because they have an annoying voice too. Why the annoying voices?

Ok so it's safe to say I don't like it too much.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I hate texting in general. 1. Because of the terrible grammar, punctuation, and capitalization errors drive me crazy.

2. Texting and driving is dangerous to the texter and anyone around them. And is one of the biggest reasons why there are car crashes.

3. It annoys the heck out of me. It may just be me because of my mom being annoying, but when I got a cellphone, I was excited when I got one. Then in the next week I was bombed with texts and it annoyed me alot.

I'd say its stealing the minds of teens but not mine.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Its fine. I dont exactly feel like calling people because we can be busy. I dont see a problem unless using it while driving. I prefer that to social media.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I hate texting. I don't have a cell phone, and I just HATE it when I'm talking to somebody (in person), then they start texting... That just irritates the heck out of me.

I also hate it, (some of you other guys probably agree with me) because my hands are too big to hit those little buttons three times just to get an "N"... It's just not worth it.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I text with full, grammatically correct sentences. But I don't approve of texting all the time and texting when someone physically in front of you wants your attention.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I hate texting. I don't have a cell phone, and I just HATE it when I'm talking to somebody (in person), then they start texting... That just irritates the heck out of me.

and texting when someone physically in front of you wants your attention.

Now, but what if the person they were texting, they were holding a conversation with first? Essentially, it's talking and conversing with another person..just with pauses in place of formulating thoughts and sentences in the process of completion.

You are now the one interrupting their conversation, only with a different form of communication
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Another thing about texting I do not like is it's constant attention to detail. People text and drive all the time and it is annoying. Plus you see commercials about people dying all the time because they where texting and driving. It's kind of stupid how people can get addicted to the concept of texting and die in the process. So that is an area where texting sucks.

Tell me about it. I like to ride my MB (mountain bike for the abbreviation impaired) a lot so I'm more at risk of being run over by some idiot texting and driving!
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

man you all hate it because of the grammer
i bet all of you are age 30 or higher

Nope I'm 13.

You see with no grammar there's no understanding what the person is exactly talking. Let's say the person is talking about... oh I don't know cars. Would you rather have the person talking like this: hay gyz did u c tht fst cr.

Or like this: Hi guyz. Wow, did you see that fast car?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

You see with no grammar there's no understanding what the person is exactly talking. Let's say the person is talking about... oh I don't know cars. Would you rather have the person talking like this: hay gyz did u c tht fst cr.

If I understand, I don't care. If it makes for faster texting, space saving (in the past), I'm all for it, so long as the person can switch to proper writing when it matters.
SunPixie
SunPixie
75 posts
Nomad

Nicho took the words right out of my mouth. when it comes to typing on my phone (like i am now) i dont bother much with punctuation and capitalizing. im pretty sure i dnt typ lik dis though. i may use abbreviations for words like bc (because) and other various words, but if im misspelling a word on purpose, as in &quotlz" or "rly" (please or really) im using it in a joking form. When im on the computer i type correctly but that is out of habit. I dont see any issues with lack of punctuation or capitalizing, but if you arent typing out the full word like "you" or you just feel like leaving out the poor little vowels, im not a huge fan of that.

but really when it comes down to it, why does it matter? just because someone doesnt type in grammatically perfect english doesnt mean they have any less intelligence, and vice versa. you can go on all day long about how they are "misusing" the english language, but if people in the past didnt misuse it, then we wouldnt have different accents~ not to say that it is the same as typing in english but still. i say yall because im from the south, but you guys might not. it doesnt mean im some hillbilly with wifi. so if people want to text, im pretty sure they are allowed to text however they want, and your approval of their forms of english dont matter at all.

now texting and driving is incredibly unsafe, and while im okay with texting, im not okay with this. i also like to ride my bike a lot and i usually have my headphones in so i cant hear anything. this was always safe because most people look out for bikers, and i never really had to worry about paying attention because no one wants to pay for my hospital bills when they hit me. But im seeing more peole distracted at the wheel because they are texting and ive had a number if close enounters. i was actually hit by a car recently while walking to work because they looked at their phone while driving up the turn lane.

tl;dr
texting without proper grammar is okay, texting and driving is not.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

man you all hate it because of the grammer
i bet all of you are age 30 or higher

I'm 65. Run away little boy, before I corner you. |:

---

ANYWAY

I used to be one of those prescriptivist maniacs who looked down on people for the slightest of errors.. As I mellowed and matured, I realized that (a) I was being a terrible ******bag, (b) people who don't bother to spell properly 100% of the time aren't necessarily retarded, and (c) my haphazard and awkwardly constructed manner of conversation was more off-putting than anything but the worst of "txtspeak". Nowadays, I'm fine with people as long as I can understand them. I used to feel that people who didn't type or text to my old standards weren't worthy of taking seriously at all, but now I think I'm more moderate.

Anyway, when I text I typically spell words out in full and punctuate to a fair degree. For my purposes at least, anything that is long or important enough to necessitate perfect punctuation and grammar isn't really something that ought to be texted. Text messages are meant to be quick and dirty. I'm pretty chill with texting, but I'm not the fastest texter. Plus, years with a keyboard have made me vastly prefer typing.

Still, I think the problem with teenagers and texting is that they tend to do it excessively. I don't think it's possible for teenagers to "lose" their minds to texting, without willfully letting their own standards fall into a ravine. It's meh. But I'm alright as long as people aren't rude. That is, you don't text while someone wants to talk to you and you don't start texting while you're supposed to be listening to someone. That is disrespectful.

Talking to someone face-to-face or over the phone is preferable to texting.

Texting and driving is absolutely unacceptable. Put that phone away driver. |:
Showing 1-15 of 22