ForumsThe Tavern"Reality Dream" theory

22 6723
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

Do you think the whole universe as we know it, Is just a imagination or a dream? Pls. express your opinion by commenting.

• 22 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Oh what..my imagination or dream? If so..then in my reality..that would make sense.

How hilarious, however, would it have been had we all left a message saying "but that doesn't make us any less real"?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

*of what

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

What I mean to say is are we just a brain in a jar controlled by a supercomputer or a human hibernating inside a pod filled with fluid to make bioelectricity for a sentient machine?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

1) You've been watching a lot of sci-fi movies of late, haven't you?

2) So what if we are?

3) What I mean by my statement is...unless they have a Matrix thing going in which all of our consciousnesses are sharing one faux experience...then each of our experience is our own..making, for this reality (as I know I am conscious), it of my experience, while the rest of you are the make up of my mind.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I cannot be part of someone else's dreams or imaginations, as I am conscious.

Am I imagining this whole world now? Yes, as are all of you. We see the world as our brains reconstruct it based on external outputs. But the outputs are very well real, all of what is around us is existing.

I cannot prove it, but I see no sane explanation for being a mere brain in a jar controlled to think of a world like this. It makes for good sci-fi stories, but that's all.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It's actually not just a question spawned out of midnight B-grade Sci-fi movies, it's something that people have been thinking about for thousands of years. It's metaphysics, the study of reality, existence, the nature of being.

Anyway yeah, would be kind of pointless to discuss it without knowing much, so I doubt I'd hang about here. I tried reading and digesting the Metaphysics a couple of years back, but my mind strained and regurgitated everything out.

So, here's less mind-boggling article for us lay-men. Time to hunt out that book again....

roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

You've been watching a lot of sci-fi movies of late, haven't you?

No, I've been watching apocalyptic films.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

No, I've been watching apocalyptic films.

Maybe you should read or watch something more educational, that way you would realize that we are real and not just a dream... Wouldn't you have to be real to dream? Just a thought...
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Maybe you should read or watch something more educational, that way you would realize that we are real and not just a dream... Wouldn't you have to be real to dream?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I don't think it really matters all that much. This is the world where we face consequences for our actions. This is the world where we collectively interact.

We have determined that we are the universe. If that universe is a dream, then so are we. This universe is just as real as we are.

On a some what related note.
Science to Determine if We're Living In the Matrix

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

Wow... That is way above my head. Whoever wrote that should make it simpler.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Wow... That is way above my head. Whoever wrote that should make it simpler.

To put it in very simple terms, you're the only thing that actually exists for sure and everything and everyone else could just be figments of your imagination.

One way to look at it is me telling you this is just you telling yourself.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

Sounds like what I was saying in my opinion posts here
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I cannot be part of someone else's dreams or imaginations, as I am conscious.

Hmm... why? consciousness is a result of combined atoms like everything else, so if a powerful enough mind could imagine atom by atom a human mind there should be no reason for it to not be conscious.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

opinion posts here

Opening
Showing 1-15 of 22