Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Sub or Dub [Anime]

Posted Jun 8, '13 at 4:24pm

HappySunFlow

HappySunFlow

26 posts

Subs all the way. Get into the sub-marine. Go to Sub-way and buy me a sub-sandwich. It's a bird, it's a plane - no, it's sub-erman.

I honestly cannot stand dubbing in anime. If I'm watching something that was made in a non-English-speaking country, I would prefer to have everything with subtitles, as they do not detract from the actors' original voices. I enjoy hearing how the characters are supposed to talk, plus you can actually learn a bit about pronunciation of certain words as well as snippets of languages.

Posted Jun 8, '13 at 6:06pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

I've watched all my anime subbed since I legitimately got into it. For some reason, English dubbed voice acting never seems to be good. I've seen some Chinese dubs though, and they were much better. But it's easier to find anime subbed so, I stick with that. Unfortunately, subs do distract a bit, and it's easy to miss subtle but important details when watching them subbed.

However, there are a few anime that I can't imagine in their original Japanese forms, mainly because I grew up on them. DBZ and Pokemon come to mind. In retrospect, the voice acting was still pretty ****ty though.

Posted Jun 8, '13 at 10:58pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,120 posts

Knight

Problem too, is that there aren't that many dubbing voice actors, hence everyone might start to sound the same.

Posted Jun 9, '13 at 2:36pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

Problem too, is that there aren't that many dubbing voice actors, hence everyone might start to sound the same.

*peeks over the border to germany*
confirmed

Posted Jun 10, '13 at 6:54am

Squiddicus

Squiddicus

190 posts

It doesn't really matter that much, but if I'm watching something with a lot of action like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Mobile Suit Gundam, I'll try to watch a dub if I can.

Posted Jun 11, '13 at 3:16pm

Drink

Drink

1,579 posts

sometimes i prefer not to watch anime where the guys sound like 5 year old girls

Posted Jun 12, '13 at 6:59am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

sometimes i prefer not to watch anime where the guys sound like 5 year old girls

well in real life a 5 year old boy does sound like a 5 year old girl.

Posted Jun 12, '13 at 11:25am

Drink

Drink

1,579 posts

but in real life grown men dont sound like little japanese girls

Posted Jun 12, '13 at 11:33am

StormWalker

StormWalker

3,331 posts

I think it's fine either way. Whenever I can find dubbed I watch it, but sub is fine too.

Posted Jun 12, '13 at 7:14pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

but in real life grown men dont sound like little japanese girls

that would be a show i'm going to watch. ^^

but are the anime then dubbed to japanese girl voices. =S that seems weird. never seen it. maybe the dub directer was smoking something ;)

Reply to Sub or Dub [Anime]

You must be logged in to post a reply!