Forums

ForumsVideo Games

PS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 4:00am

AskReddit

AskReddit

5 posts

A console that won't have 90% of upcoming third-party next-gen games AND barely compares to current-gen consoles in terms of processing power?

Just because you don't like the console doesn't mean you get to choose what it's called. The Wii U is next generation. The Wii U is literally the next generation of the Wii.

I don't know where you're getting your definition of next generation.

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 1:23pm

Mr_Sand

Mr_Sand

687 posts

Its a next gen console with last gens parts. The Wii will never amount to anything near the PC or other consoles. It just doesn't have the hardware for it

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 5:41pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Its a next gen console with last gens parts. The Wii will never amount to anything near the PC or other consoles. It just doesn't have the hardware for it

According to that logic, the best consoles have the best technology. That leaves out SO many factors.

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 5:49pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

It has the last generation's hardware capacity and will have none of the next generation's games. I'd say both those factors are far more defining of a console's identity than the mere date it came out.

Who cares it's the "next generation of the Wii"? It can't compare with the rest of the next gen, pure and simple, it's not a matter of whether I like it or not. The next gen is going to happen and the Wii U will largely not be a part of it.

I cannot in good conscience call it a peer to the PS4 and X1, sorry. That's delusional.

According to that logic, the best consoles have the best technology. That leaves out SO many factors.

Well, the latest consoles do have the latest technology. Which allows them to play the latest games. That's the core point of a new generation of consoles: allowing games to improve by improving hardware. And the Wii U is doing none of that.

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 5:54pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Well, the latest consoles do have the latest technology. Which allows them to play the latest games. That's the core point of a new generation of consoles: allowing games to improve by improving hardware. And the Wii U is doing none of that.

1) Latest does not mean best.
2) Improving hardware doesn't directly improve games.
3) Consoles are about more than just games nowadays, especially the next gen.

Your argument has some holes.

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 8:27pm

Mr_Sand

Mr_Sand

687 posts

1) Latest does not mean best.

Actually latest  does mean best because in this situation the PS4 and X1 are taking advantage of the latest hardware which is better than what the Wii U uses. Generally speaking the PS4 and X1 will have better looking games that will run smoother

2) Improving hardware doesn't directly improve games.

I don't know where your logic is? Improving hardware definitely improves games. It opens up the world for better graphics, better gameplay, faster running games and realistic worlds. Such as games like Skyrim. We live in a world where everything is improving, so why not utilize the technology being invented. Why stay with older, crappy, technology such as the Wii u

3) Consoles are about more than just games nowadays, especially the next gen.

Consoles should only be made for gaming. We have computers for everything else. PCs are usually cheaper to make anyway so making a console thats built for anything else kind of defeats the Purpose

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 9:21pm

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

419 posts

@Isahn

It has the last generation's hardware capacity and will have none of the next generation's games. I'd say both those factors are far more defining of a console's identity than the mere date it came out.

The Xbox One and PS4 will have none of the new Nintendo games that are coming out. Nintendo games are arguably some of the best games that are made nowadays. Super Smash Brothers could take on several "Next gen" games any day of the week.

Who cares it's the "next generation of the Wii"?

Who cares if the PS4

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 9:37pm

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

419 posts

@Isahn

The Xbox One and PS4 will have none of the new Nintendo games that are coming out. Nintendo games are arguably some of the best games that are made nowadays. Super Smash Brothers could take on several "Next gen" games any day of the week.

Who cares it's the "next generation of the Wii"?

Who cares if the PS4 is the next generation of the Playstation?

The next gen is going to happen and the Wii U will largely not be a part of it.

Nintendo games are some of the best games on the market. They're innovative under hardware restrictions and still manage to pull out a game better than 80% of the games out there now.

Better hardware does not directly mean better games. I'd argue that the original Resident Evil is better than Resident Evil 6 any day of the week. Sometimes, hardware makes a difference but the two are not DIRECTLY linked.

I'd also like to point out that the PS4 and Xbox One have done nothing innovative. At least Nintendo tried to do something to change the way we play games. And, if Nintendo has a different controller it can help greatly in distinguishing a game on the Wii U and the game on the Xbox One,

@Mr_Sand

Actually latest  does mean best because in this situation the PS4 and X1 are taking advantage of the latest hardware which is better than what the Wii U uses. Generally speaking the PS4 and X1 will have better looking games that will run smoother

You seem so focused on the hardware that you're losing sight on what a console is. The whole point of a console is to relax and be able to play on your couch. If you're looking for hardware, go get a PC. The PS4 and Xbox One use parts that are worse than the best PC, so they're OBVIOUSLY WORSE, right?

No, because there is other factors.

I don't know where your logic is? Improving hardware definitely improves games. It opens up the world for better graphics, better gameplay, faster running games and realistic worlds. Such as games like Skyrim. We live in a world where everything is improving, so why not utilize the technology being invented. Why stay with older, crappy, technology such as the Wii u

The word directly was very important in that sentence. Hardware CAN help but it isn't necessary. You could probably argue that having better graphics on a console takes some of the focus of the gameplay.

Also, the Wii U does have worse hardware but it innovated in bringing in the gamepad. When looking at consoles you have to see the whole picture. You don't purely choose a console because of how much RAM it has.

Consoles should only be made for gaming. We have computers for everything else. PCs are usually cheaper to make anyway so making a console thats built for anything else kind of defeats the Purpose

Well, consoles are generally more easier to use and they connect to your TV. If I had a choice between Netflix on my PC or on my console, I'd choose my console any day of the week.

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 10:13pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I would respond conventionally but IAgree took the words right out of my mouth... or keys out of my keyboard, rather.

Posted Jul 2, '13 at 11:59am

d_dude

d_dude

1,756 posts

Also, the Wii U does have worse hardware but it innovated in bringing in the gamepad.

The same thing can be done on the PS4 using the Vita, and at longer distances. Also the PS4 will allow people to directly stream videos, that's not innovative? Not to mention the Xbox One will have a game that is directly related to a TV show.

Also the PS4 and Xbox One both will be using Smartglass style apps on mobile devices to enhance gameplay, unlike the Wii U.

Reply to PS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U

You must be logged in to post a reply!