ForumsGamesPS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U

400 159517
Ferret
Ferret
9,324 posts
Bard

This is the official thread for PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One. Which will be the one console to rule them all? Let's hear your opinion.

• 400 Replies
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

but next to the Wii U they're supercomputers.

EXACTLY! This is what i was trying to say. The Xbone and PS4 are using hardware very similar to the PC, while the WiiU is using newer "gaming" hardware. People always use PS4, Xbone, and PC in the same sentence because they're all to similar. The WiiU is different, so it's hard to compare. Not because it's not as good, but because it's totally different. It runs just as well with the software it's using. The other systems need more powerful hardware because their software is run on such old devices.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Everything you're saying is demonstrably untrue.

The Wii U does not run on biotechnology from the planet Zork, it has a PowerPC-based CPU and a Radeon-based GPU. In other words, stuff you could find in your computer. Tweaked to run games better, sure, but every console ever is built exactly the same way.
You realize consoles are essentially optimized gaming PCs, right?

People always use PS4, Xbone, and PC in the same sentence because they're all to similar.
No, people compare those platforms because

A. They have very similar game libraries
B. They have comparable technical specs

And while I might be saying the Wii U's specs can't be compared to them, don't take me to mean they're different - they're unequivocally inferior. The Wii U absolutely does not "run just as well" as its next gen peers.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

but next to the Wii U they're supercomputers.

EXACTLY! This is what i was trying to say

Obviously not..because you just followed that up by saying it runs just as well as the others.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Obviously not..because you just followed that up by saying it runs just as well as the others.

I'm just saying that the other systems focus too much on trying to get to the power of a PC. If you want that, then get a PC.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Lol, not saying you don't have a PC XD, i meant use it in stead of a console.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

I'm just saying that the other systems focus too much on trying to get to the power of a PC. If you want that, then get a PC.

W-what. I don't even. Being a powerful device is...bad? How is it bad to be able to run GTA V, or to be able to actually play DVDs, or to have the support of third party developers because the games can be run on the console?
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

If you want that, then get a PC.

It'd be easy if there weren't such a thing as console exclusives. Consoles are slowly turning into more of a plague than a convenience IMO. In a couple years' time, getting a PC that can outstrip the PS4 will be effortless and cheap, just like in the previous generation, but we'll still be held hostage to these obsolete bricks by the latest Zelda or Halo or whatever the hell Naughty Dog does next.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

W-what. I don't even. Being a powerful device is...bad? How is it bad to be able to run GTA V, or to be able to actually play DVDs, or to have the support of third party developers because the games can be run on the console?

It's not bad, it's just not as...logical.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,764 posts
Chamberlain

Precisely! After all, we wouldn't want games like Call of Duty and Battlefield to be able to handle better destruction AND have Anit-Aliasing (because let's face it, BF3 is killing me with all those jaggies), who would want that? Especially for games like CoD that insist that they have the best console graphics no matter what else they have to sacrifice.

but we'll still be held hostage to these obsolete bricks by the latest Zelda

Don't you dare drag Zelda into this! It's not as if anything Nintendo is doing effects anyone else, none of their competitors even feel the need to jab at it's last gen technology. Don't go around and blame the companies nobody cares about for the problems that consoles cause.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Don't go around and blame the companies nobody cares about for the problems that consoles cause.
Nintendo does exactly the same thing as the other companies, they just don't do it to the same people. If I bought a Wii U, it'd be solely out of love for Zelda and Mario and those franchises I grew up with, because Nintendo doesn't even give a **** anymore about making a competitive machine. They put out a poor console and expect their library to prop it up. They've got as much crap on their hands as everyone else. Console exclusives are a plague and do nothing but harm to the gamers.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

What in the name of **** do you mean?
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

When it all comes down to just sheer gaming, no gimmicks and no bullsh* then I would want a PC.
A PC can always be upgraded ( I just did it the other day)
Steam is the most secure gaming Platform I have ever seen without forcing too many DRM nonsense
Steam has the features that it's games have and more
Steam has Greenlight (which is games that people invent that can be voted to become purchasable)
The PC can be used for many other things and it will never be obsolete. (My PC came out before the 360 but can run pretty much any game)
The PC is cheap
The PC can be opened and fixed easily or someone else can fix it for you. (You can't just take an Xbox or PS or WIi to anyone to have it fixed.)

The only reason to get a console is for exclusives otherwise you are just wasting your time. Wii would generally be the Logical choice for Exclusives because Nintendo Hits don't come on the PC but most Hit games are going to be on Steam unless they are the limited selection of PS or Xbox games
I mean if you really want to play Kinect games that bad then whatever floats your boat

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

The PC is cheap

Ha. The PS4 is going to be 400 dollars. Will you be able to find a PC for 400 dollars that can run BF4 at 60fps?

Steam has Greenlight (which is games that people invent that can be voted to become purchasable)

Greenlight is a popularity contest, it's helped a bit, but it's not very useful. Consoles have indie options of their own.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

The PC's higher price point is already offset quite a lot by its cheaper games. At least for me it certainly is. And in a couple years, you will find that PC.

As for indie games, I mean, it's not even remotely an argument. The PC just has more of them. Even the console exclusive indies almost always eventually come to PC. If it's indies you're after, you shouldn't be picking up a console in the first place.

KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Nintendo hasn't cared about competing in the gamee war ever since the Gamecube. In the past 13 years, they've focused on their fans and how they can please them. "We don't care how other companies do, we just continue what we love" - Iwata

Showing 196-210 of 400