Forums

ForumsVideo Games

PS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U

Posted Aug 27, '13 at 11:49pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Yeah, that's just insane. The Wii U was surpassed hardware when it came out. Meanwhile, X1 and PS4 are sporting 8-core processors and some pretty sweet integrated GPUs. They're relatively mid-range and you'll be able to outstrip them with PCs effortlessly in a year's time, but next to the Wii U they're supercomputers.

Posted Aug 28, '13 at 9:24am

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

but next to the Wii U they're supercomputers.

EXACTLY!  This is what i was trying to say.  The Xbone and PS4 are using hardware very similar to the PC, while the WiiU is using newer "gaming" hardware.  People always use PS4, Xbone, and PC in the same sentence because they're all to similar.  The WiiU is different, so it's hard to compare.  Not because it's not as good, but because it's totally different.  It runs just as well with the software it's using.  The other systems need more powerful hardware because their software is run on such old devices.

Posted Aug 28, '13 at 2:38pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Everything you're saying is demonstrably untrue.

The Wii U does not run on biotechnology from the planet Zork, it has a PowerPC-based CPU and a Radeon-based GPU. In other words, stuff you could find in your computer. Tweaked to run games better, sure, but every console ever is built exactly the same way.
You realize consoles are essentially optimized gaming PCs, right?

People always use PS4, Xbone, and PC in the same sentence because they're all to similar.

No, people compare those platforms because

A. They have very similar game libraries
B. They have comparable technical specs

And while I might be saying the Wii U's specs can't be compared to them, don't take me to mean they're different - they're unequivocally inferior. The Wii U absolutely does not "run just as well" as its next gen peers.

Posted Aug 28, '13 at 2:59pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,572 posts

but next to the Wii U they're supercomputers.

EXACTLY!  This is what i was trying to say

Obviously not..because you just followed that up by saying it runs just as well as the others.

Posted Aug 29, '13 at 11:02am

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

Obviously not..because you just followed that up by saying it runs just as well as the others.

I'm just saying that the other systems focus too much on trying to get to the power of a PC.  If you want that, then get a PC.

Posted Aug 29, '13 at 11:02am

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

Lol, not saying you don't have a PC XD, i meant use it in stead of a console.

Posted Aug 29, '13 at 2:05pm

d_dude

d_dude

1,767 posts

I'm just saying that the other systems focus too much on trying to get to the power of a PC.  If you want that, then get a PC.

W-what. I don't even. Being a powerful device is...bad? How is it bad to be able to run GTA V, or to be able to actually play DVDs, or to have the support of third party developers because the games can be run on the console?

Posted Aug 29, '13 at 6:53pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

If you want that, then get a PC.

It'd be easy if there weren't such a thing as console exclusives. Consoles are slowly turning into more of a plague than a convenience IMO. In a couple years' time, getting a PC that can outstrip the PS4 will be effortless and cheap, just like in the previous generation, but we'll still be held hostage to these obsolete bricks by the latest Zelda or Halo or whatever the hell Naughty Dog does next.

Posted Aug 30, '13 at 10:22am

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

W-what. I don't even. Being a powerful device is...bad? How is it bad to be able to run GTA V, or to be able to actually play DVDs, or to have the support of third party developers because the games can be run on the console?

It's not bad, it's just not as...logical.

Posted Aug 30, '13 at 12:07pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

2,923 posts

It's not bad, it's just not as...logical.

Precisely! After all, we wouldn't want games like Call of Duty and Battlefield to be able to handle better destruction AND have Anit-Aliasing (because let's face it, BF3 is killing me with all those jaggies), who would want that? Especially for games like CoD that insist that they have the best console graphics no matter what else they have to sacrifice.

but we'll still be held hostage to these obsolete bricks by the latest Zelda

Don't you dare drag Zelda into this! It's not as if anything Nintendo is doing effects anyone else, none of their competitors even feel the need to jab at it's last gen technology. Don't go around and blame the companies nobody cares about for the problems that consoles cause.

Reply to PS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U

You must be logged in to post a reply!