Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I'd like to draw people's attention to the following:

Polygamy = Marrying multiple spouses.
Polygyny = Marrying multiple wives.
Polyandry = Marrying multiple husbands.

For an overview, check this.

Recent controversial examples include the whole deal with the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints and the recent legalisation of polygamous marriages in the UK.

What do you think about the notion? We've been discussing the nature of marriage in other threads, but not so much in terms of number...marriage between two parties was something generally assumed.

I myself have been waiting for the time for such a discussion, to see when society as a whole might start to gain a more fundamental grasp of the nature of relationships as a whole.

So, the question is pretty much this:

What do you think of relationships that involve more than two parties?

• 17 Replies
Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

*sigh* I just posted my response and got an "Oops This Page Does Not Exist" message...anyway, my post went something like this:

Alright, Strop, I conceed that my views are a little idealistic, but I maintain that my point has some validity to it (not that you have said it doesn't). Whatever people's faculties truly are when it comes to commiting to a relationship, wouldn't they be the same for a monogamous one and polygamous one? I suppose that the more people involved, the more dynamics there are to consider, but if a person's abilities of awareness and evaluation are close to what they would be in a monogamous relationship, isn't it fair to say they have the same rights to commit to a polygamous one?

Of course, that all hinges on if one's faculties are the same when commiting to a monogamous or polygamous relationship. I really don't know that answer to that.

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

Alright heres what I think.

If your going to be in a relationship with more then 2 people, they all should be aware of this (basically so it's not cheating). Besides that one point, I really dont care.

Just as my feelings towards gay marriges, if it doesn't concern me, I dont care. It's not like if this becomes legal and/or accepted doesn't mean they're going to force it on to me. Do whatever makes you happy, it's not like my life will be ruined if someone gets married to multiple people.

Showing 16-17 of 17