Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

programmer for innovative platform game

Posted Jun 14, '13 at 11:30am

explodingjello

explodingjello

2 posts

I'm looking for a programmer to make an innovative platform game, "Janus Rockuss" that utilizes multiple characters with unique skillsets that navigate the world across multiple axis of the level. The characters movements would include "jump", "attack", "switch character", and "switch axis" (which moves the character from the topside of the level to the bottomside). At times in the level both player characters would be in play on the bottom and top axis at once so the player is operating both characters at once on 2 axis of the level.

The characters are robots made from musical instruments (much like a musical version of Mystery Science Theater 3000 robots) and the levels, enemies, and skillsets are "visual puns" related to rock lore and the game music is implemented in a creative way to the game itself.

I can do concept, level design, music/sound fx, and sprite animations if you can do the coding, (although ideally we would find someone else to do sprite animations and make it a 3 man team).

I can't offer money and this would be a "labor of love" for all involved, but ideally if the project turns out well we can put it on Kickstarter, Steam, and console market places and split whatever we make equally.

you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Posted Jun 14, '13 at 10:11pm

SectoidMedic

SectoidMedic

192 posts

1 post, new member...

Posted Jul 1, '13 at 9:32pm

mightybob

mightybob

369 posts

Sounds sorta cool...

What type of platform game..? Would it be crazy slope ramps sorta like fancy pants or just the basic slope & block based game?

Posted Aug 30, '13 at 12:57pm

explodingjello

explodingjello

2 posts

Hey mightybob, sorry for the late reply. I sent you an email. There are a few slopes but it's more mario-like, with some metroidvania exploratory elements.
I had a programmer design some basic physics/move controls but he no longer has the time, so you'd do hit detection, character special moves, select screens, and input level designs based on the graphics. All music and graphics are done so it should flow pretty smooth from this point.

E-mail me at [email protected]

Posted Aug 30, '13 at 11:47pm

mightybob

mightybob

369 posts

Well if all the graphics are done it doesn't sound too hard, I've been making platform games for 3 years, so it shouldn't be that hard.

So if I understand correctly the switch axis basically means switching gravity up / down? (press a button to toggle gravity?)

Just to make sure, your talking about a flash game right? Because I can do As2 or As3, both a programming language for flash, or does it matter?

Because I'm pretty sure flash can go on the app store...

Is there a deadline? Or is it not announced to the public yet so it doesn't really matter?

After I know all these things I think I can start helping, I'll email you and we can talk about it more through there.

If you could in the email, give me a few graphics to start off of (the player, 1st level's ground) so I can start working on the basics!

Just noticed in your post you said someone else did part of it... Do you know what programming language he used? Or a file type? (it might be best to start from scratch, on the programming part because everyone likes to write code differently, i'll have to take a look at it and see if I can read it right)

Thanks

Reply to programmer for innovative platform game

You must be logged in to post a reply!