Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

We're eating poison

Posted Jul 11, '13 at 3:09pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,522 posts

Knight

If they make drought resistance crops, that do not have a large interaction with the rest of the ecosystem, and do not place the farmers who use them in an "indentured servant" type of relationship with the company, and they can show methodologically valid studies showing that these plants are healthy to eat.... I'm all for it.

This, of course, is the ideal goal.
I am, like you, against those crops Monsanto sells which farmers have to rebuy every time (I've heard of that one too). If non-profit humanitarian groups could give culturable GMOs to starving farmers, that would be a big step. Yes, there are other ways; we theoretically always had the capacity to nourish all people on earth. But as you said, it's all about profit, and right now it seems almost easier to push the GMO way than to change people's minds.

Posted Jul 11, '13 at 3:20pm

Getoffmydangle

Getoffmydangle

151 posts

list of studies Here and Here

Found some studies.... obviously haven't read all of them yet but I'll admit there does not seem to be evidence indicating harm from GMO seeds.... But there is still much research to be done as most/all of these studies were done an mice,rats, and other animals, and as pointed out by blade, different animals can handle things differently.

Posted Jul 11, '13 at 3:37pm

Getoffmydangle

Getoffmydangle

151 posts

This is from an intro to one of those studies and it points to the fact that further study needs to be done:

Currently, there is little known about predictability of adverse effects following market release of GM foods.
This study outlines a method they are developing to use mice with transplanted human immune systems, to see what they can see about how eating GMOs and eating animals fed GMOs might affect humans. Muy interestante.

Posted Jul 11, '13 at 6:59pm

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

You (plural) might want to have a look if you haven't already at what Greenpeace has to say on the issue of GMO's and wider agricultural and industrial issues: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/agriculture/ .

This report (2009) of theirs on the findings (2008) of the IAASTD (International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for Development) may be of particular interest (.pdf file): http://www.greenpeace.org/france/PageFiles/266577/iaastd-rapport-en-anglais.pdf .

Posted Jul 11, '13 at 7:16pm

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

ps Ah, look, I was getting dead links for this IAASTD itself; however this appears to be alive: http://www.agassessment-watch.org/ .

Posted Jul 11, '13 at 8:32pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,805 posts

Knight

really. I'm much more worried on the lack of long-term studies concerning the influences of ingesting gene manipulated organisms in general on the human body. There may be nothing, but as long as we don't know, let's be cautious.

We can't look at it in general. Any such research on the matter would have to be looked at on a case by case basis.

"â¦Sir (Prince Charles), I think you may have an exaggerated idea of the natural-ness of âtraditionalâ or âorganicâ agriculture. Agriculture has always been unnatural. Our species began to depart from our natural hunter-gatherer lifestyle as recently as 10,000 years ago â" too short to measure on the evolutionary timescale.

Wheat, be it ever so wholemeal and stoneground, is not a natural food for Homo sapiens. Nor is milk, except for children. Almost every morsel of our food is genetically modified â" admittedly by artificial selection not artificial mutation, but the end result is the same. A wheat grain is a genetically modified grass seed, just as a pekinese is a genetically modified wolf. Playing God? Weâve been playing God for centuries!
" - Richard Dawkins

I have the rest of the letter if you're interested.

Posted Jul 11, '13 at 9:51pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,266 posts

Knight

I have the rest of the letter if you're interested.

Actually I am. : )

It's funny you (through the letter) brought up wheat. I work with someone who cut wheat from her diet completely and she lost quite a bit of weight. She claims she can think more clearly and has more energy as well. This, I can accept, but she claims that it has to do with wheat being the product of GMO's, and Monsanto. She doesn't really have an explanation as to "why" GMO's are bad, just that they're "unnatural". She explained that the wheat we have today is much taller than it used to be, which I retorted isn't evidence that the wheat is worse for us.

I skimmed through a video and one part of it suggested that the reason GMO's are so bad is because our RNA fuses with the RNA of the crops we eat. I don't know enough about RNA and DNA to spot the BS (which I'm admittedly basing off my own assumption).

Posted Jul 11, '13 at 9:56pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,266 posts

Knight

LINK

The above link is something I was able to quickly find on the subject. It's something I need to look more into (and it makes me realize how much I've forgotten when it comes to basic Biology - shame on me). Anyway, I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about the linked article.

Posted Jul 11, '13 at 10:32pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

6,889 posts

1st of all, Rice already contains vitamins nutrients, and amino acids.... and protein and fiber. Brown rice (or any other non-white rice), which is white rice before they remove the bran and the germ (aka the healthy parts), doesn't keep as long, but is a fairly nutritionally-complete food.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never said rice wasn't healthy, nor was I specifically talking about rice. Forgive me for not clarifying; I mean to say that, given how grains are found in all cultures around the globe, an effective way to combat hunger would be to modify these grains to contain all the nutrients needed for sustainable life. Essentially, a small bowl of rice (or what have you) could provide the same nutritional value as a diverse meal.

I skimmed through a video and one part of it suggested that the reason GMO's are so bad is because our RNA fuses with the RNA of the crops we eat. I don't know enough about RNA and DNA to spot the BS (which I'm admittedly basing off my own assumption).

Seems pretty bogus to me. Single atrands don't just "fuse" with other strands. They have to be uncoiled, seperated, translated, transcribed, etc, etc. assuming, that a human RNA sequence exists that is reversely paralled to the GMO, and assuming that all the amino acids in the GMO strand can be found in the human nucleus, and assuming that such a b*stard RNA protein actually has an affect on anything...

Posted Jul 12, '13 at 12:30am

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

. I work with someone who cut wheat from her diet completely and she lost quite a bit of weight. She claims she can think more clearly and has more energy as well.

I would bet money she has an intolerance to wheat, and that's why she's healthier now that it's been cut from her diet.

Reply to We're eating poison

You must be logged in to post a reply!