ForumsGamesEverything Pokemon

17 5232
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

In light of Pokemon's ever evolving world despite its many years in the business, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where all the basics and in- depth info could be stacked.
Questions? Strategy? Advice? What to do next? How to do it? Game mechanics? Breeding? Spéculations? Name it; here's the place.
I'll talk anything if it can help people perfect their trainership.

About my academic background, you should know I have a PhD in theorethical pokemonolgy.

Any question or debate on strategics is welcome, in fact anything relating to Pokemon and that would help keep this thread alive and well.

''There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people.''

...Or so they say...

• 17 Replies
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

I wish you could buy a brand new game boy advance now a days to play the classic pokemon games I hate the pokemon they keep bringing out they just look stupider each generation and are never that new but more like the mutated offspring of one of the older gen pokemon.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Like I tell everyone that presents this argument; ugly, stupid Pokemon have been there since the start, we just aren't affected by them because we're biased by the nostalgy factor, but think about it.

Muk - No imagination to design whatsoever
Ditto - Cheapest design ever
MR.MIME - It's not even a Pokemon; it's a tiny mutant human dwarf...ugh...
Jynx - Good Pokemon, but again, the humanoid shape is freakish

See there's plenty of Pokemon deserving to be hated in the first Gen. Now, when you go over the ugly Pokemon, you'll find there are very cool, slick and nice looking Pokemon in the later generations.

Luxray
Serperior
Galvantula
Braviary
Ferrothorn

Just to name a few. Moreover, they keep the game fresh by adding original type mix-ups that allow for more specific, in-depth strategy, such as Bug/Elec, Rock/Grass, Dark/Steel, Ghost/Fire, etc...

See, you should really give the new Pokemon games a chance.
That being said, I enjoy playing the Yellow version every now and then on either three of my game boy advances, or on my game boy Pocket.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

You just proved my point because all the ones you said are just like mutant offspring/ hybrids of others e.g

Luxray is like umbreon mixed with jolteon
Superior is just a green dratini
Galvantula is just a furry spinarak.
Braviary is what I imagine fearow and swellows love child to look like
And ferrothorn well thats just weird.

I admit that some of the original pokemon are weird but I think they were meant to be like that now pretty much every 'new' pokemon is just a remake i played up to pearl but I think after silver and gold they slowly started to get more and more similar and weird looking each time.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Well, perspective matters; they may look just like older version, but you have to consider how hard it is for the artist to create entirely new pokemon given all the ones they have already made. If you make a bird Pokemon, of course its going to look a little bit like every other bird Pokemon that already exist.
I think all the Pokemon I've mentionned present some sort of interest. When I look at the older Gens, I often surprise myself finding them drab and uninteresting.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

A good purpose for this thread would also be to use it as a mean for trading discussions with the players on Ag.
I have many power bred Pokemon with over-the-top potential, so if you're ever interested in anything in particular, just post it here, someone is bound to be able help you.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Just throwing this out there.

My main issue comes with
1) Vanillish
This was designed after ice cream. If it was designed after icicles, which it very well could have been, then I'd probably like it. But no..ice cream. A food.

2) The one that carries the building material. Am I to assume that this pokemon has always had that metal around..or has the entity of it changed since we started using such material.

Muk - No imagination to design whatsoever

This actually has a deep background. It was supposed to be a metaphor and protest for the horrendous dumping issues that was going on in Japan.
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

My main issue comes with
1) Vanillish
This was designed after ice cream. If it was designed after icicles, which it very well could have been, then I'd probably like it. But no..ice cream. A food.

Touché
For the Pokemon company's defense; it's one of the few Pokemons designed by an American.

2) The one that carries the building material. Am I to assume that this pokemon has always had that metal around..or has the entity of it changed since we started using such material.

That is an interesting issue, but if we're to dabble with mysteries, you needn't look much further than the all revered second Gen.

Miltank is obviously a mammal, yet it lay eggs...?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

For the Pokemon company's defense; it's one of the few Pokemons designed by an American.

Really?
Well..that explains it.

That is an interesting issue, but if we're to dabble with mysteries, you needn't look much further than the all revered second Gen.

Hey..that was my favorite gen D=

Miltank is obviously a mammal, yet it lay eggs...?

To be fair..every pokemon lays eggs
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

To be fair..every pokemon lays eggs

Yes, but no Pokemon is obviously a mammal safe for Miltank.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Yes, but no Pokemon is obviously a mammal safe for Miltank.

Wailmer+, Skitty+, Meowth+, etc

(pluses represent evolutions)

We are thinking in the idea of our world, though..which isn't fair.
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Wailmer+, Skitty+, Meowth+, etc
(pluses represent evolutions)
We are thinking in the idea of our world, though..which isn't fair.
<

Sorry, I failed to express myself properly back there.
What I meant is that even though lots of pokemon are derived from mammals, none show - as far as I know - one of the most specific biological trait relative to mammals: mammary glands, except for Miltank.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

July 4th, a new pokemon's been unveiled; a sword like pokemon whose typing is be steel/ghost.

I'm fairly enthusiast.

What about you?

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

The one that carries the building material. Am I to assume that this pokemon has always had that metal around..or has the entity of it changed since we started using such material

Well... There's actually a story in the 'Dex that explains it... Apparently, Conkeldurr's evolutionary line actually taught humans in the Pokemon world how to make concrete (I assume its natural for them since judging from their power and typing, these dudes will be able to crush rocks and shape them into stuff...)

Also...
You just proved my point because all the ones you said are just like mutant offspring/ hybrids of others e.g

Well, even in reality, other animals do resemble others don't they? For example...

- A Chinchilla is a love child between a rat and a squirrel
- A Polar Bear is just a white grizzly bear
- A Chimpanzee is just a hairy human
- A Snail is what I imagine a sea slug's and a conch's love child
- And Aye-Ayes are just weird...

My point is that the a great portion of the Developer's creativity and designs are based nature itself and not just churning out whatever they like. Despite this, Pokemon's still a fantasy game; its nice to see some oddballs here and then. I wouldn't like to see Pokemon suddenly become Animal Planet with no strange stuff...

But still, I do love the old Pokes, especially Gengar(I always have him in every game), Skarmory (Armored Bird, Cool), Scizor(He's ****** in Gen 2 and Gen 4 made him a monster) and Muk (For a strange reason, I love the ugly ones).

Anyways, @ FallenSky:
The Vani's were designed by a Brit... But on the brighter side, he made Golurk, the B@dass super robot pokemon thay flies using sand powered jetpacks..

And As for Monorparle (Dat sword guy): I do hope they give him levitate, so that he will serve as the mighty sword to own the fields of OU.

(Any ways, are you sort of the battling type? I wanna taste your power...)
TeslaGuy
TeslaGuy
959 posts
Nomad

What do you think about the fairy type ? Good or bad idea ? And the X/Y games ? They had purple , pink , orange , brown , indigo , burgundy and opal , amethyst , tiger eye to chose , but no , the letters ! And what about their new design ? New game abilities and new Mewtwo form ?

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

The Vani's were designed by a Brit... But on the brighter side, he made Golurk, the B@dass super robot pokemon thay flies using sand powered jetpacks..

My bad, I was fairly sure James Turner was an American. That being said, I despise golurk, the pseudo Goldorak.

(Any ways, are you sort of the battling type? I wanna taste your power...)

I was never that interested in competition, but what good are finely raised, Iv bred pokemon if you can't use them. Sure, let's give it a go via Wi-Fi whenever you feel like it.
I quit battling at a young age when I realized everyone just prefered to pwn with legendaries; I hate legendaries, it kinds of defeat the whole purpose of: find a pokemon you like, raise it, cherish its good sides and use it for them, etc...Nowadays I'm a power breeder in preparation of the new Gen; got every single legendary and starter from every Gen, most of the latter are bred with many 31Ivs and overall outstanding potential.
I surely won't give you that much trouble because I didn't grind my best; kept them for the new games, but as an example, I got a larvesta with outstanding potential, and 31 Iv in sp.attack, sp.defense and speed.

I see you were talking about scizor, well if you're ever interested, I think I got one or two scythers left with at least three 31 stats, including attack. All of them have an Adamant nature. For further Pokemon talk, keep posting here. For more personnal pokemon matters, please message me on my profile, I'll be glad to chat with you.

Showing 1-15 of 17