Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Women Run the World?

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 2:03am

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

And I'm also saying that women are typically better at certain tasks than men are ad vice versa. Nothing sexist.

Pro tip: the sentence immediately before you say "nothing sexist" is sexist.

I swear I will post on this thread for real soon.

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 2:17am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,024 posts

Knight

True, but isn't it also somewhat innate? Genetic? I mean not everybody, I know girls who hate kids. I just presumed that women are naturally better at nurturing than men.

Be careful with that. But to some extent, yes. The mother will experience certain stimuli, like the widening of the birth canal at birth, or the baby suckle during breast feeding, that will release oxitocin and increase the bond between mother and child. But the father sometimes also experiences similar hormone releases, for whatever reason, I'm not an expert in hormone physiology.

But we're very plastic with that, I mean women are not contrained to be good mothers because of their biology, and on the other side men can learn to be very good caretakers as well. It's usually society that hinder any change even though we'd be capable of adapting individually.

It seems to be more societal. In nature, sometimes males take their nurturing parent role more strongly, such as the penguin.

Most species know maternal care, some species, penguins but also sea horses, know paternal care. But I don't see how that would be an argument against genetics?

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 2:20am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

If a man wants to nurture kids, go for it. Just that GENERALLY women are typically better at it.

Got studies to back that claim? I think men and women can be equally as abusive or caring.

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 2:39am

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

Got studies to back that claim? I think men and women can be equally as abusive or caring.

Nah, I'll just withdraw the statement. I just thought that was assumed or general knowledge. But I understand. I'm nurturing, and I'm male.

Pro tip: the sentence immediately before you say "nothing sexist" is sexist.

Except for when I'm not trying to be sexist. It's like saying I'm not 100% for gay marriage and everyone then says "Wow you homophobic *******." Taken out context. Yes women are equal to men. But if we were 100% equal there wouldn't be different genders; we have differences.

Most species know maternal care, some species, penguins but also sea horses, know paternal care. But I don't see how that would be an argument against genetics?

I totally agree, there are species where fathers are the main, if only, caretaker. It's just you don't hear of a single father raising kids very often, almost always its a single mother. And while genetics isn't a huge argument, at least it's just kinda....there.

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 3:15am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,409 posts

Pang

*pang

Don't feed the trolls

Pretty sure he isn't a troll. He could possibly be so..but it seems not.

Except for when I'm not trying to be sexist. It's like saying I'm not 100% for gay marriage and everyone then says "Wow you homophobic *******." Taken out context. Yes women are equal to men. But if we were 100% equal there wouldn't be different genders; we have differences.

By definition, it is sexist.
Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination on the basis of sex.

Also, the elimination of gender roles wouldn't be an elimination of gender classifications.

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 4:41am

blk2860

blk2860

3,686 posts

I won't say that Women hold no power at all. It's just that it's more common for men to have positions of powers. For example, A lot of countries have male leaders. About 60-70%. There are still plenty of countries with female leaders, just not as many as the countries with male leaders. So to answer your question, no. Neither gender does.

-Spirit

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 8:59am

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

By definition, it is sexist.
Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination on the basis of sex.

Also, the elimination of gender roles wouldn't be an elimination of gender classifications.

Fine then, since everybody thinks I'm sexist I take that comment back.

My statement is only, apparently, sexist to some.

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 11:52am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

at least it's just kinda....there

it is there. it shouldn't have to be there.
culture and society has brought us there. if we keep agreeing with it, we will stay there.
i say, pack some boots, we are going to walk. ;)

But if we were 100% equal there wouldn't be different genders

how do you wanna make babies?

i dont see why equality has to matter on what sort of organ system sits in your body. they dont differ so much that 1 task can't be done by either of them.

Fine then, since everybody thinks I'm sexist I take that comment back.

i know what you try to say. and that is not sexist. but the way you try to say it is sexist.
the problem is that sexism is still happening. you just say what is going on and that makes your sentences sexist. you keep linking it to the gender. while the problem is the society. we all say. woman and man are equal. we all think (well most) woman and man are equal. but it is still there. woman still get paid less. and often does the nursing. etc. etc. and if there was a real reason for it then we could say that. however do i not think that anyone here could find a reason for it not changing, while we do try.
(maybe because not everyone try's. but that is just too obvious xD )

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 12:15pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

it is there. it shouldn't have to be there.
culture and society has brought us there. if we keep agreeing with it, we will stay there.
i say, pack some boots, we are going to walk. ;)

I do enjoy me a quality walk!

how do you wanna make babies?

i dont see why equality has to matter on what sort of organ system sits in your body. they dont differ so much that 1 task can't be done by either of them.

I understand, and I wasn't saying men and women are required to be in certain roles. I was just saying that I feel that some of this is genetic to an extent.

i know what you try to say. and that is not sexist. but the way you try to say it is sexist.
the problem is that sexism is still happening. you just say what is going on and that makes your sentences sexist. you keep linking it to the gender. while the problem is the society. we all say. woman and man are equal. we all think (well most) woman and man are equal. but it is still there. woman still get paid less. and often does the nursing. etc. etc. and if there was a real reason for it then we could say that. however do i not think that anyone here could find a reason for it not changing, while we do try.
(maybe because not everyone try's. but that is just too obvious xD )

I'm just not super proficient at saying what I mean I guess. I just feel it is being read into more than it is, just like with my example of gay marriage. Am I behind it? Personally no. But when you say that everyone assumes you're a homophobic bigot who hates gays which couldn't be further from the truth.

...it just frustrates me.

Posted Jul 3, '13 at 12:22pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

i just see you didn't mend what i thought you mend....
you think it's genetically. but it is society/culture.

Reply to Women Run the World?

You must be logged in to post a reply!