Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Advertisements are overly exaggerated on AG?

Posted Oct 28, '13 at 4:59pm

Ferret

Ferret

6,817 posts

Administrator

45 seconds is the exception to the rule, we promise. I rarely get a very long ad, and when I do... I usually can skip. We've been working hard on making this a better experience. :)

Posted Nov 5, '13 at 6:59pm

geauxgamer

geauxgamer

1 post

Not sure why these kind of ads are needed. Are these forced ads or based on the users surfing?

Posted Nov 14, '13 at 7:15am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

It looks like as of now, AG hosts some ads that find a way around my straightforward ad blocker settings. I.e., they're not blocked automatically, and can't easily be blocked manually just like that.

I know sites need their ads revenue & so won't be too happy about such tools, on the other hand I'd say finding ways around it just leads us all into a continous battle between end users and site keepers, with Business being the great laughing winner.

Rather and if it isn't being done yet, I know e.g. AdBlock Pus features what they term "non-intrusive advertising," which it allows by default. It is precisely meant, one presumes, to allow site keepers to maintain their bona fide and indeed non-intrusive ways of garnering some income.

Methinks if both site keepers and such blocker software developers would work together to make these measures work (i.e., to develop or maintain ads that woud meet these criteria), that would be the best of both worlds, and none of us would have to be any less the wiser for it.

I personally feel such tools are a great asset in general whilst surfing the web, and again finding ways to circumvent them shouldn't be the answer (nor to stop them from ever being mentioned even), just because people happen to also play a game once in a while. If us users block such stuff, consider that probably we didn't think of that just to pester e.g. ArmorGames.

nb I realize maybe AG has no control over this even, and it's those ad developers themselves that are at work here. I do say it in all friendliness, and anyway I reckon if anybody, it's their clients i.e. those site keepers that could throw some weight into the issue.

Cheers.

Posted Nov 20, '13 at 8:49pm

mickeyray5

mickeyray5

2 posts

Why are they advertising for Al Jazera? They should have some standards.

Posted Nov 20, '13 at 11:11pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,334 posts

Knight

Why are they advertising for Al Jazera? They should have some standards.

I don't have problem with Al Jazeera itself because it's an alternative to news controlled by rich criminals but why advertise for it on a game site?
TV5 is also a good alternative for biased American news.

Posted Nov 20, '13 at 11:17pm

Fuzio

Fuzio

65 posts

The ads are just fine. The ones that pop up when you roll over them are annoying when you are trying to play a game, but you learn to keep your mouse where it belongs...... in the game and not on random parts of the screen!

Posted Nov 21, '13 at 9:07am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,234 posts

Knight

Don't see why Al-Jazeera gets so much malignant flak. All news channels are biased TACE, and Al-Jazeera is one of those non-Western media channels that is fairer. Kind of speaks for itself when half a dozen ME nations have either banned it, or censored it in some form or another. It merely gets a torrid time in the American press.

Posted Nov 21, '13 at 7:06pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,334 posts

Knight

Don't see why Al-Jazeera gets so much malignant flak. All news channels are biased TACE, and Al-Jazeera is one of those non-Western media channels that is fairer. Kind of speaks for itself when half a dozen ME nations have either banned it, or censored it in some form or another. It merely gets a torrid time in the American press.

Of course, America's control by rich powerful weasels who decide what the population watches in order to control them better. They don't like foreigners coming to inform their people otherwise.

Last year I saw some Jewish developers bulldozing olive trees from an elderly Palestinian woman. They took over her land so they could build more houses.
The woman said this land was in her family for generations and it was her way of living. I was really disgusted when I saw this.
That was on the news on TV5 (international french channel).
I checked on American news everywhere for a couple days and they never even mention anything about this event.
I wonder why?

Posted Nov 23, '13 at 6:09pm

Cranium80

Cranium80

503 posts

I'm playing on Newgrounds now since they don't have nearly as many ads as AG does.

Posted Nov 24, '13 at 9:09pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,302 posts

Knight

I'm playing on Newgrounds now since they don't have nearly as many ads as AG does.

So AG is filled with ads. Boo-friggity-hoo. Newgrounds is filled with idiots. Even the game quality is significantly lower. It's like Kongregate on steroids. I didn't last one day in either community because I felt like I was talking to a series of brick walls. Are you really willing to subject yourself to that way of life just because of a few harmless ads?

Reply to Advertisements are overly exaggerated on AG?

You must be logged in to post a reply!