Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Advertisements are overly exaggerated on AG?

Posted Aug 4, '13 at 6:54am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

So I assume it's only a matter of time before I start to see things clear up?

I would only guess that any reports will then be judged on their merits, not necessarily lead to any action as such... (wistfully whistling smiley here)

(What do you folks do about your kids watching TV these days, anyway?)

Posted Aug 4, '13 at 3:20pm

Amarantamin

Amarantamin

56 posts

So I assume it's only a matter of time before I start to see things clear up?

Good sir, we have a seven-page thread of complaints with examples provided and we were just given the infinite wisdom to post complaints to solve the problem. That carrot sure is dangling close, isn't it?

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 5:51pm

boppins

boppins

509 posts

Administrator

We do judge a lot of the skins ourselves and have asked partners for adjustments in the past, but the choices are not always clear.  We have kids of our own and we all have different opinions on the ads.  Community input will be a good variable into our discussions :)

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 6:22pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I honestly don't see how the ads here are any worse than what most kids watch on television. I think the whole situation has been blown out of the water.

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 6:35pm

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

Amarantamin wrote:

Good sir, we have a seven-page thread of complaints with examples provided and we were just given the infinite wisdom to post complaints to solve the problem.

I think it was suggested to file complaints by providing a screenshot of the offending material. Emphasis again mine:

Ferret wrote:

Let's start here, if something offends you or you feel is inappropriate.  Report it to this thread or me directly (Ferret@ArmorGames.com) by taking a screenshot of the ad.  We will take it from there. :)

You'd think it was asked for since it would give the keepers something to work with, wouldn't you. I guess it follows you'll then need to be able to deal with the occasional "Sorry, but ArmorGames by their standards doesn't find any harm in this to warrant any action."

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 7:20pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

You'd think it was asked for since it would give the keepers something to work with, wouldn't you. I guess it follows you'll then need to be able to deal with the occasional "Sorry, but ArmorGames by their standards doesn't find any harm in this to warrant any action."

You have to understand their stance on the matter. The administrators rely on the advertisements to pay for the free stuff on the site as well as site maintenance and like. If an ad pops up and it doesn't extraordinarily bad (which is a totally subjective matter), it isn't going to be removed. That's how things work and you need to understand that.

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 7:21pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

it doesn't

it isn't*

Sorry about that. :O

Posted Aug 6, '13 at 11:38am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,868 posts

Knight

(What do you folks do about your kids watching TV these days, anyway?)

Like we can control them much other than user settings that are so easy to get around.

Don't foist it upon them, or even worse, cloister them when they're hitting puberty. Start younger, educate younger, let them mature younger.

Posted Aug 9, '13 at 11:42am

meed1

meed1

35 posts

We do judge a lot of the skins ourselves and have asked partners for adjustments in the past, but the choices are not always clear.  We have kids of our own and we all have different opinions on the ads.  Community input will be a good variable into our discussions :)

You just got 7 pages of it :P

I would only guess that any reports will then be judged on their merits, not necessarily lead to any action as such... (wistfully whistling smiley here)

That does indeed worry me.

I honestly don't see how the ads here are any worse than what most kids watch on television. I think the whole situation has been blown out of the water.

Just because TV has it bad, doesn't mean we have to have it bad. People always use the excuse "Ain't any worse then anything else." "Ain't as bad as what he's doing." ect ect. Which is totally untrue. Just because it happens elsewhere doesn't mean we have to do it, or it's an excuse we can do it.

Like we can control them much other than user settings that are so easy to get around.

The right user settings are very very impossible to get around.

Don't foist it upon them, or even worse, cloister them when they're hitting puberty. Start younger, educate younger, let them mature younger.

But really here, I come to play games, not to get parenting advice.

Posted Aug 9, '13 at 12:15pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Just because TV has it bad, doesn't mean we have to have it bad. People always use the excuse "Ain't any worse then anything else." "Ain't as bad as what he's doing." ect ect. Which is totally untrue. Just because it happens elsewhere doesn't mean we have to do it, or it's an excuse we can do it.

Read my other post:

You have to understand their stance on the matter. The administrators rely on the advertisements to pay for the free stuff on the site as well as site maintenance and like. If an ad pops up and it isn't extraordinarily bad (which is a totally subjective matter), it isn't going to be removed. That's how things work and you need to understand that.

It isn't about excuses. It's about subjectivity and moneh. $$$

Reply to Advertisements are overly exaggerated on AG?

You must be logged in to post a reply!