ForumsWEPRSupreme Court's 5-4 Decision to Strike DoMA Provision

41 19050
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

The Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision to remove and change a specific Defense of Marriage Act's provision, where, to those that apply, married homosexual couples now receive both the benefits (and detriments, pffhffhff) of the average married couple: tax, health and pension benefits that were once denied to them previously.

How will this affect YOU in the future? (derogatory slurs imminent)

I feel something. Something warm. It feels like tolerance and progression of the human legacy.

• 41 Replies
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

I feel something. Something warm. It feels like tolerance and progression of the human legacy.

This is just disgusting. I can't believe our corrupt government. If I wanted to marry my dog, I'm sure they'd allow it, and allow marriage benefits. They want to degrade mankind. Who the heck wants to marry someone of their same gender?! It's messed up! So many people fall into it just because they want special treatment.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

If I wanted to marry my dog, I'm sure they'd allow it, and allow marriage benefits.

I somehow don't think so.

They want to degrade mankind.

Allowing people to be with who they want and to receive the same benefits as other choosing to be who they want = degrading mankind? Wut?

Who the heck wants to marry someone of their same gender?!

Homosexuals. Duh. You know, the people who prefer their own gender? Bisexual people too.

So many people fall into it just because they want special treatment.

This has got to be the stupidest argument out there. Why would anyone -want- to be homosexuals, in this society? Where they get bullied, scorned, denied rights, verbally abused, physically assaulted, or anything else?

Why would anyone want to be a homosexual in places like Saudi Arabia, where they get murdered for being homosexual?

Open your **** eyes already.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Good to see equal rights *are* important to many people. I kinda wonder if there will be demonstrations like there were in France against the equalisation.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

If I wanted to marry my dog, I'm sure they'd allow it, and allow marriage benefits.

1) Slippery Slope fallacy

2) Animals don't have the same rights as humans..so this will be impossible.

They want to degrade mankind by furthering human equality?
Because..**** logic.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

If I wanted to marry my dog, I'm sure they'd allow it, and allow marriage benefits

This is what's known as the Slippery Slope Fallacy, a falsehood that states that, because this happened, one thing leads to another, which ultimately results in something disastrously-different from the original taking place.

This is wrong; this won't happen.

They want to degrade mankind

Son, liberating social benefits and opening them to everyone and freeing them of hatred from other people is BENEFITING mankind. It is progressing the human legacy.

The people of the same gender who feel physiologically inclined to be infatuated by someone of the same gender.

Read: Completely natural and completely part of a percentage of our population's psychology.

It is the government's job to provide Americans with equal State benefits, which is what the Fifth Amendment abides by. The Fifth Amendment, by the way, is something everyone supports, including those of your community. Don't you want to follow the Constitution?
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I should probably add some more footnotes to this thread.

1. States will still have the power to enact their own laws regarding Gay Marriage. This change of the provision only affects homosexual couples who are already married prior.

2. The key player was 84-year old Edith Winsor, who lived in New York, which recognized same-sex marriage certificates from other countries. However, the Federal government DIDN'T recognize it, thus did not gain the benefits of a married couple, even though they were.

They were unequal to everyone else who were part of a couple.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I would just like to point something out...

>Be KnightDeclan
>Claim to be Libertarian
>Be against same-sex marriage rights
>wat.jpg

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I would just like to point something out...

This is hardly the only place where his beliefs are internally inconsistent.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

I don't think the government should be involved in marriage AT ALL. Why do married couples gain special benefits as opposed to other couples, or even singles?

I'm glad gay couples are obtaining the same rights as straight couples - because equality is good and all. However, those of us who are single and forever alone are still being discriminated against.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

However, those of us who are single and forever alone are still being discriminated against.

Luls. I agree with you though. I wouldn't argue against benefits for people with kids, single, homosexual, or heterosexual, but providing benefits to two people simply because they're together? That's dumb.
Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

I don't think the government should be involved in marriage AT ALL

I don't think the government should be involved in a lot of things, marriage included
#GoSnowden

Luls. I agree with you though. I wouldn't argue against benefits for people with kids, single, homosexual, or heterosexual, but providing benefits to two people simply because they're together? That's dumb.

I think its a tax break or something?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Your dog can't give informed consent like a human.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1014075_588523291192886_1514711145_n.jpg

People attracted to the same sex obviously.

It's not special treatment, it's equal treatment. The treatment to marry the person they love and who loves them in return. The treatment to not have to fear prosecution for being who they are.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UOgK5bitaEo/UVby6l2VCdI/AAAAAAAAAFc/_A4FtZAJyG0/s1600/582181_203757856402295_156138117830936_344968_1298721002_n.jpg
Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

Its fantastic news. Almost good enough to make you forget that the day before, the supreme court struck down the voting rights act.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

sensible news from the usa. =0 thats been a while.. good to see it's still a possibility.

I'm glad gay couples are obtaining the same rights as straight couples - because equality is good and all. However, those of us who are single and forever alone are still being discriminated against.

ive been thinking the same thing for a long while.
the only reason i got married was for those benefits. at 1st we didn't want to.

#GoSnowden

i heard from a reliable source that when they get him. allot more files will be leaked by his 9 still unknown companions.
i hope we wont see them and that snowden will be free to show the usa's real face for a longer time.
the best thing about him is that he wont leak private information of people. only how they have gotten this information.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

One step forward....

And down in Texas hur..StandWithWendy....

Showing 1-15 of 41