ForumsGamesThe Evil Within

4 3664
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

So this is about the new Bethesda survival horror game that is coming out next year. (link)

So far it looks like it is going to have some pretty nice looking monsters and graphics, but the one thing I'm concerned about here is the amount of blood that is used in this game, it's just too much.

While violence is used a lot in horror games, (like [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(video_game)]D
) in the little bit of gameplay that has been released it looks like you're going to see 5 times more blood then water in this game which is just going to kill the horror aspect of the violence. With the blood there is also the weird theme of barbed wire which the developers so far said was supposed to also be a part of the traps, maybe reflecting that there's a lot of barbed wire traps and the AI is stupid enough to walk into them since there is supposed to be a lot of barbed wire on the monsters.

Then there is also the fact that things seem to be very unfair in this game with basicly the motto for this game is "you can try and fight enemies (if you have a weapon that is) but what you try just might not work (headshots might not work) so it's better to just run (but they can catch you)". Weapons are going to be very scarce and when you do manage to find a weapon it just might not even help you and maybe lessen your chance for survival since you spent time aiming instead of running.

Then there's the weapons so far which are guns, knives, traps (literally described as "things that give you a bad death" when asked what traps are) and matches. No idea what gave them the idea that matches can be considered a formidable weapon. Literally described as the weapon you use to finish off a downed enemy, not anything like a knife or something, nope you toss a match on the monster and hope it's not &quotlaying dead" and "waiting for the player to go up to it to light it on fire" sorry but I find that one weapon a ridiculous idea, not even in the Postal series which is famous for being outlandish with weapons like the Badger Saw and cat silencer did they have matches used to light people on fire.

Strangely, matches cannot set anything alight without the aid of gasoline.

Well this pretty much turned into a rant OP but I really am looking forward into seeing what these guys cook up as the next big horror game since the developer Shinji Mikami wants to go back to the older style of horror games where they weren't giving the player ****** weapons like in the Dead Space series and the concepts for the monsters look quite interesting so far.
As well as that it is going to be interesting with the constant risk of being discovered and pretty much brutally murdered making it a stealthy game and having a constant fear of being discovered.
  • 4 Replies
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

So this is about the new Bethesda survival horror game that is coming out next year. (link))

So far it looks like it is going to have some pretty nice looking monsters and graphics, but the one thing I'm concerned about here is the amount of blood that is used in this game, it's just too much.

While violence is used a lot in horror games, (like D) in the little bit of gameplay that has been released it looks like you're going to see 5 times more blood then water in this game which is just going to kill the horror aspect of the violence. With the blood there is also the weird theme of barbed wire which the developers so far said was supposed to also be a part of the traps, maybe reflecting that there's a lot of barbed wire traps and the AI is stupid enough to walk into them since there is supposed to be a lot of barbed wire on the monsters.

Then there is also the fact that things seem to be very unfair in this game with basicly the motto for this game is "you can try and fight enemies (if you have a weapon that is) but what you try just might not work (headshots might not work) so it's better to just run (but they can catch you)". Weapons are going to be very scarce and when you do manage to find a weapon it just might not even help you and maybe lessen your chance for survival since you spent time aiming instead of running.

Then there's the weapons so far which are guns, knives, traps (literally described as "things that give you a bad death" when asked what traps are) and matches. No idea what gave them the idea that matches can be considered a formidable weapon. Literally described as the weapon you use to finish off a downed enemy, not anything like a knife or something, nope you toss a match on the monster and hope it's not &quotlaying dead" and "waiting for the player to go up to it to light it on fire" sorry but I find that one weapon a ridiculous idea, not even in the Postal series which is famous for being outlandish with weapons like the Badger Saw and cat silencer did they have matches used to light people on fire.

Strangely, matches cannot set anything alight without the aid of gasoline.
Quote From Postal Wikipedia page

Well this pretty much turned into a rant OP but I really am looking forward into seeing what these guys cook up as the next big horror game since the developer Shinji Mikami wants to go back to the older style of horror games where they weren't giving the player ****** weapons like in the Dead Space series and the concepts for the monsters look quite interesting so far.
As well as that it is going to be interesting with the constant risk of being discovered and pretty much brutally murdered making it a stealthy game and having a constant fear of being discovered.

Reposted due to link error
Spore
Spore
1,106 posts
Peasant

About time blood becomes realistic. I just hate all the games that have blood, it just isn't enough. You chop a head in Skyrim and only few drops of blood come out, I hate that. In another Bethesda game Dishonored when you kill people, not much blood comes out... Really...? I can't wait for this game just because it's from Bethesda, I love their games and it seems they finally got the blood right.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

I like how you are complaining about a game you literally know nothing about. And the trailer could just be a video. There isn't gameplay so who knows what the game looks like. I don't think Bethesda makes a lot of blood on their games so who knows.

And on the Blood topic, I hate that the gore level dropped considerably in Borderlands 2. In borderlands 1 you could at least blow peoples head off and it made sense.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

I like how you are complaining about a game you literally know nothing about. And the trailer could just be a video. There isn't gameplay so who knows what the game looks like. I don't think Bethesda makes a lot of blood on their games so who knows.

I believe I posted a link of the gameplay video, and while I don't know much about the game, I do know everything they've released about the game so far (I'm hoping this will be the next great survival horror game)

There isn't gameplay so who knows what the game looks like.

Btw when I posted the blue word "gameplay", that's gameplay from E3 conference. There's a lot more information on the Evil Within from other videos but they all had the same gameplay segment so I didn't post them.

I don't think Bethesda makes a lot of blood on their games so who knows.

Gameplay video basically shows a room of cut and bleeding human bodies with their face looking like they're screaming (but dead) with a butcher guy who's pretty much drenched in blood taking one of the bloody bodies across the bloody floor onto a bloody table where he starts cutting the body up and you see the organs and stuff being pulled out.

I'd say that's pretty bloody wouldn't you?

And on the Blood topic, I hate that the gore level dropped considerably in Borderlands 2. In borderlands 1 you could at least blow peoples head off and it made sense.

I found that the PhysX killed the gore level in Borderlands 2 since it didn't look like blood and more like globs of orange (nicely shaded) goo. That game kindof went overkill with the PhysX but I did like how you could shoot through the cloths hanging here and there and watch them burn (I'm not 100% sure that is PhysX but it looks very much like it)
Showing 1-4 of 4