ForumsGamesMonster Hunter 3 Ultimate

8 5648
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

If you haven't heard of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, it's a game where you kill things, wear their skins, and use parts of their body to make weapons to kill more things so you can wear those other things's skins.

ProJared does a wonderful review of the game.

So far, I've invested 46 in-game hours in MH3U (not counting the few hours in which I didn't save), and I'm just now past the "recently started" phase of the game. Admittedly, there is a lot of farming (so expect to kill the same thing over and over).

The best part of the game is the variety of weapons. You have everything from Great swords, to lances, to bows. You even have more bizarre weapons like a giant musical instrument you use to play music as you smash things, or a giant axe that turns into a giant sword.

The only problem is that the 3DS is local play only, whereas the wii u allows you to play with other people over the internet. I may consider buying a wii u and giving online play a chance since I don't know anyone with MH3U in person.

If anyone has this game, tell me, what are some of your favorite aspects of this game? What are some of your favorite weapon types?

I started off using only the switch axe, and occasionally the dual blades. However, I'm really loving the longsword now that I'm using it.

• 8 Replies
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Switch Axe all day, erry' day.

That said, while Monster Hunter in general is pretty fun, the grinding you're absolutely required to do later on CAN get in the way of enjoying the game.

Designers that make 2% drop rates are evil.

The multiplayer is fantastic though. Haven't played online either, but even two player local co-op is very fun. I mean, what's not to love about a game where you can make armor and weapons from basically everything you fight?

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Monster Hunter fans! yes!

Killersup has somewhere in the mid twenty hour mark. Nothing to special. The dual blades are decent, but against the larger bosses Killersup has almost ran out of time...

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

That said, while Monster Hunter in general is pretty fun, the grinding you're absolutely required to do later on CAN get in the way of enjoying the game.

Designers that make 2% drop rates are evil.

I agree. I do wish some of the drops weren't so ridiculously rare. It does become a chore. I'll try to kill a monster 2-4 times a day, even when I'm not in the mood to kill the monster, just so I can progress.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

I agree. I do wish some of the drops weren't so ridiculously rare. It does become a chore. I'll try to kill a monster 2-4 times a day, even when I'm not in the mood to kill the monster, just so I can progress.

What I've found is that in terms of armor, you're good to go as long as you pick an armor set with abilities you like and then stick with it until you jump up a quest tier (so from low-rank to high-rank to G-rank). Especially since in the late game missions, monsters do such an absurd amount of damage you'll be better off dodging most of the time anyway.

If anything, I'd say it's more important to make as many variations of your favorite weapon as possible and upgrade those instead of your armor. Having a weapon to exploit the weakness of whatever you're facing helps a ton in the long run.

This program also helps with finding that one little rare thing.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

The factor for getting the rare drops can be kinda hilarious some times. Killersup killed about 100 Rathains on tri, and got two plates. Captured first Rathain in game for MH3U and got two plates. CX

Some things just seem way easier to get than others even though they are statistically the same or lower. Killersup has the 3ds version so he doesn't get online play, but how is online play for anybody with a Wii U?

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Kenty, that program looks like it will be tremendously helpful. I'll have to try it out!

Is the low level Helios armor even worth making? I find it odd how it's the best low rank armor in the game (more or less), yet as soon as you unlock it you can get medium rank armor that has nearly double the defense almost right off the bat.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

The factor for getting the rare drops can be kinda hilarious some times. Killersup killed about 100 Rathains on tri, and got two plates. Captured first Rathain in game for MH3U and got two plates. CX

The *actual* hilarious part is that the more difficult versions of monsters get new kinds of drops that are even rarer. There'll come a time when you curse getting a plate. :3

Some things just seem way easier to get than others even though they are statistically the same or lower. Killersup has the 3ds version so he doesn't get online play, but how is online play for anybody with a Wii U?

I would say it involved lots of shenanigans.

Is the low level Helios armor even worth making? I find it odd how it's the best low rank armor in the game (more or less), yet as soon as you unlock it you can get medium rank armor that has nearly double the defense almost right off the bat.

The thing about higher rank armor is that while they start with higher base defense, they also need the rarer armor spheres to be upgraded. So the difference in defense becomes lesser the more you invest in it.

The highest max defense are whole set of armor can potentially have is 120 per piece. Fully upgraded low Helios gets 101.

Having said that, I'd still say it's not worth it because I don't like it's abilities too much. ;P
That, and G-rank Helios is probably one of the best armor sets in the entire game, if you don't mix and match armor pieces.

Speaking of, I kinda liked the high-rank Jaggi armor, because it's easy to make, gives a large attack boost, stops you from getting stunned AND has a good base defense when starting out high-rank.
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

I hate how long it takes to rank up on this game! It took like 4 quests in tri, but like 20 in ultimate.

Showing 1-8 of 8