Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Traditional Catholics

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 2:53pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

And actually atheists DO know more than most Christians.

I was shown a link to a poll awhile ago and the most scriptural-apt peoples were, in order, the Jews, the Atheists, and then the Mormons. Most of the other conventional christian religions, including Catholics, scored very poorly.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 2:54pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

Do share where Christ anoints Peter as the first pope in the bible, because I just got through reading the Old Testament and it never mentioned that anywhere. Especially because Peter was killed not long after Christ left.

Gladly
He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Matt 16:17

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 2:55pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

I was shown a link to a poll awhile ago and the most scriptural-apt peoples were, in order, the Jews, the Atheists, and then the Mormons. Most of the other conventional christian religions, including Catholics, scored very poorly.

There's absolutely no way to prove this lol.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 2:58pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

Gladly
He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Matt 16:17

.....and that made him the pope? It never even says anything to the effect of "Congrats Pope Peter!" or even Christ giving him a blessing. He says Peter is BLESSED, not he is BEING blessed or anointed to a position in the church.

He's saying that Peter knows for himself that Christ is the Christ and that it was revealed to him, not by man, but by the Spirit, and that's what His church is founded on.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:00pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

There's absolutely no way to prove this lol.

I could, I just don't remember which of my awesome atheist friends posted the link, or where.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:02pm

OperationNilo

OperationNilo

2,045 posts

.....and that made him the pope? It never even says anything to the effect of "Congrats Pope Peter!" or even Christ giving him a blessing. He says Peter is BLESSED, not he is BEING blessed or anointed to a position in the church.

You're relying too much on the wording, forget how the passage is worded for a sec and then think of what the words may really mean.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:11pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

The term "Pope" didn't come around till later.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:19pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

You're relying too much on the wording, forget how the passage is worded for a sec and then think of what the words may really mean.

Do share, because I felt I did a fair job of interpreting that scripture.

The term "Pope" didn't come around till later.

Evidently. So what did he call Peter to do then?

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:23pm

OperationNilo

OperationNilo

2,045 posts

Do share, because I felt I did a fair job of interpreting that scripture.

Share what? I'm just saying that you should not rely very heavily on the wording of the scriptures. It's the meaning that really counts.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:26pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

Share what? I'm just saying that you should not rely very heavily on the wording of the scriptures. It's the meaning that really counts.

I know, I'm asking what your interpreted meaning of the scripture is.

Reply to Traditional Catholics

You must be logged in to post a reply!