Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Traditional Catholics

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:37pm

OperationNilo

OperationNilo

4,065 posts

I know, I'm asking what your interpreted meaning of the scripture is.

Don't take my word for granted, because I'm just an amateur ;:P Jesus gives Peter 'leadership' (I couldn't think of another word, my vocabulary is not very large) over the Church in Earth.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:45pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,776 posts

Knight

Because it's the same religion started by Christ, only modified by worthy authorities.

This doesn't tell us anything of the validity of the truth claim. No more than this does.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/atheistjokes/napkin_religion.jpg

Even more so you're saying it's true because it was he truth altered. Doing so would discount it's truth claim even if it's base line was the case.

Pope John XXIII, fake, Ven. Paul VI, fake, Servant of God John Paul I, fake, St. John Paul II, fake, Emperor Palpat... I mean Benedict XVI, fake, and Francis is FAKE.

You seem to have no valid justification for regarding these popes as fake. It couldn't be because they changed things, you're religion is already based on a religion that was changed, as you noted a sentence before.

They have desecrated the sacraments.

They just modified them as your religion modified things in the past.

He started the church, oh wait, atheists know more about my beliefs than me...oh wait again, no they don't! He instituted most of the sacraments and ordained the first Pope.

There is a good chance Jesus didn't even really exist. But I suppose that would be a discussion for another topic.

There's absolutely no way to prove this lol.

You mean other than getting a good sample size together and asking them questions on the matter?

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:54pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,704 posts

Because it's the same religion started by Christ,

What about Steve-ism, which was started by the holy Carl?
What makes Jesus more of an authority than Carl?

Pope John XXIII, fake, Ven. Paul VI, fake, Servant of God John Paul I, fake, St. John Paul II, fake, Emperor Palpat... I mean Benedict XVI, fake, and Francis is FAKE. As I've said, Pope Pius XII was the last valid pope.

Nah..those we the real popes, all the ones Pope Pius XII back were fake.

There's absolutely no way to prove this lol.

Yes there is, it's called performing tests.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:56pm

OperationNilo

OperationNilo

4,065 posts

What about Steve-ism, which was started by the holy Carl?
What makes Jesus more of an authority than Carl?

Ah, simwae! You can adore and revere Holy Carl as much as you want in Steve-ism, but let us do the same with Jesus in our religion. It's a mutual bond of tolerance.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 5:19pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,437 posts

You can adore and revere Holy Carl as much as you want in Steve-ism, but let us do the same with Jesus in our religion. It's a mutual bond of tolerance.

Adoration and reverence has nothing to do with truth value.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 5:20pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,094 posts

That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Matt 16:17

The name Peter means Rock, in the original aramaic or hebrew, the bolded words were the same, the belief that Peter and the rock that the church was built on didn't start until the mistranslated greek, which used the masculine version of the world Petros instead of Petra (or whatever the words were), which in one dialect of greek, Petros means pebble and Petra means boulder.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 5:26pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

327 posts

Don't take my word for granted, because I'm just an amateur ;:P Jesus gives Peter 'leadership' (I couldn't think of another word, my vocabulary is not very large) over the Church in Earth.

I appreciate the attitude; many Christians on here are arrogantly sure their blind faith proves all.

I'm just not seeing him given any leadership, other than saying he is blessed for knowing who He is, and that this is the rock of His church.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 6:05pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

The name Peter means Rock, in the original aramaic or hebrew, the bolded words were the same, the belief that Peter and the rock that the church was built on didn't start until the mistranslated greek, which used the masculine version of the world Petros instead of Petra (or whatever the words were), which in one dialect of greek, Petros means pebble and Petra means boulder.

Does this change anything at all? Do you think they used the exact words from every translation. If you put on English subtitles on an English dub over anime, they don't match. The subtitles are direct translation, but the dub is put in the dubber's own words. I only responded to this because it's the only comment here that actually tries to argue with what I'm saying with a valid point, rather than random mockery.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 8:56pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

327 posts

Does this change anything at all? Do you think they used the exact words from every translation. If you put on English subtitles on an English dub over anime, they don't match. The subtitles are direct translation, but the dub is put in the dubber's own words. I only responded to this because it's the only comment here that actually tries to argue with what I'm saying with a valid point, rather than random mockery.

Uh. It actually changes a lot.

Translating actually can cause a lot to be left out or misinterpreted. Obviously. Look at the massive amount of different christian sects.

Posted Jul 6, '13 at 1:05am

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

The following argument(s) do not reflect my personal ideals or beliefs

Translating actually can cause a lot to be left out or misinterpreted. Obviously. Look at the massive amount of different christian sects.

Translating is one thing and different interpretations are another. When considering the Bible in its entirety, what real difference does it make if Peter was really a rock or a pebble or a boulder? I don't think it does.

I don't think there is much logic in saying different sects are created through different translations, when each sect thinks of the Bible differently. But maybe they're related, who knows? Interpretation and translation I mean.

I am filling in for another role

Reply to Traditional Catholics

You must be logged in to post a reply!