Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

The LGBT Community

Posted Jul 8, '13 at 12:06am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

If I was, that would be my lifestyle choice.

It's not a choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong..but what is being pointed out here is that a lifestyle isn't dependent on your sexual orientation

Posted Jul 8, '13 at 12:13am

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

I really am just saying things honestly, I'm not in my best form at the moment, lotta stress at school and with friends; it's taking away from things I could say and instead I say "blech".

Posted Jul 8, '13 at 1:01am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Pang has it right. I doubt you were trying to intentionally be offensive, but gay people don't just arbitrarily decide to become gay as if it were a choice.

Posted Jul 8, '13 at 1:23am

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

325 posts

I wasn't saying they do.

Meh, I'm done. I'm tired and am being terrible at discussing.

Posted Jul 8, '13 at 12:15pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I thought you guys were arguing about how he said "lifestyle". I wouldn't say lifestyle, but mere sexual orientation. Anyone can copy the life of the stereotypical gay person but not be gay themselves.

Posted Jul 8, '13 at 4:44pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

It was a semantic error. Normally, it'd be pretty pretentious to point out such a triviality, but I've seen LGBT people get riled up when people say things like, "It's not their fault that they chose to be gay." Although the connotation of such a statement is positive and supportive of LGBT people, it points to the heteronormative culture of our society. Many people don't instinctively realize that homosexuality is not a choice or that a specific lifestyle cannot be ascribed to one's orientation. Given the civil rights issues and stigmas attached to LGBT, there's no reason for a person to want to be gay.

That being said, those of LGBT orientation are normal people and should be treated as such, which also means that they should not be immune to criticism just because they're oppressed. Too often I see minorities (racial, sexual, etc.) use the term "privilege" to describe the majority, as with the article I linked. It's baseless vitriol.

Posted Jul 19, '13 at 6:16pm

Zophia

Zophia

8,407 posts

Remember 3-5 years ago, with the dozens of pages long thread going on about whether homosexuality is right or wrong?

I genuinely love how different this thread is, even if there's still a case of awkward shuffling with calling it a choice and other poor phrasing.
Sure, it's largely different people (although hi oldies, I saw you >:o ), but it's nice to see.

there's no reason for a person to want to be gay.

Hipsters, mang. Being straight is waaaay too mainstream, yo.

Posted Jul 19, '13 at 6:36pm

aknerd

aknerd

1,276 posts

I think Wyrzen might have been making a distinction between sexual preference and sexual lifestyle. I mean, how you live your life (which is what I would consider to be your lifestyle) IS a choice. No, really, it is. As a straight male, I could still pretend to be gay. I can still live my life as if I actually were homosexual. Furthermore, I could be choose to be celibate, and thus forgo the heterosexual lifestyle in another manner.

There are plenty of homosexual people out there who live a heterosexual lifestyle, due to societal pressures and whatnot. They are still homosexual, I fully understand that orientation is not a choice.

It's not a choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong..but what is being pointed out here is that a lifestyle isn't dependent on your sexual orientation

Could you please elaborate? If your lifestyle is not dependent on your orientation, it seems like that WOULD make it* a choice. If I am not defining lifestyle in a way that is generally accepted than obviously please disregard everything I have said.

*"it" being your lifestyle, not your orientation.

Posted Jul 20, '13 at 3:37am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

Could you please elaborate? If your lifestyle is not dependent on your orientation, it seems like that WOULD make it* a choice. If I am not defining lifestyle in a way that is generally accepted than obviously please disregard everything I have said.

My "It's not a choice" was about orientation. My line following is a simpler version of what you just said at the top of your post

Posted Jul 21, '13 at 4:15am

CalvinKidd137

CalvinKidd137

587 posts

Hipsters, mang. Being straight is waaaay too mainstream, yo.

That just made my day

Honestly, I am against being LGBT but only because all of the people like that who I have had experience with has not been good... Don't ask me to explain further, I won't.

I'm not saying all LGBT are like that, just the ones I have met.

Reply to The LGBT Community

You must be logged in to post a reply!