Forums

ForumsFlash Games

New Game Coming Soon

Posted Jul 9, '13 at 11:29pm

doomy64

doomy64

13 posts

Actually,holding the down key, the left or right key, and the a key, you can go at high speeds through a wall

Posted Jul 17, '13 at 3:40pm

mightybob

mightybob

351 posts

Posted Jul 18, '13 at 7:10am

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,062 posts

Very reminiscent of fancy pants, I wonder why...

The game movement is sloppy, you should change values, for instance, if you move in one direction then change it to left for example, so it doesn't retain the same speed, rather the character stops or slows down gradually and then he proceeds to rebuild speed from 0 to max again. It's hard to control it if he moves constantly at maximum speed, and the only way to stop this currently is to not move. Also to "feel" that sudden turn to left to right and vice versa, an animation where the character turns around and continues with the running animation. Same goes when in midair.

Also you can get kind of stuck sideways when running from a vertical ledge, then not moving while in air. It doesn't auto correct unless you move, which can lead you being parallel to the floor. Not a major issue but it's there. Speaking of ledges, when running downhill you can get air born, so you basically can't jump. A general fix is that you're magically magnetized to the ground until you jump or interact with certain objects, etc...

You can't die also, when your health goes all the way down it glitches and you turn invisible, and the only way to fix that currently is to restart.

Some typos here and there, and when you hit an enemy you become transparent, but you don't turn back like you're supposed to I guess. Usually the common animation is that you flash several times from transparent/non-transparent phase indicating that you've been hit, mostly because it's hard to miss so you know you've actually been hit. Making him more and more transparent makes it hard to see where you're at, and it can get fairly annoying if you actually implement that in a completed game.

Also I realised that when you get close to a wall, you bounce back in a weird way, but I did saw there is an animation when you hit the wall with your arms on it, so I'm guessing there is a bug that makes you repel from walls.

Now for some words of praise:

Nice touch of the smoke trail when you land/leap from walls/stop running, even though for the last one you seemingly create it even when moving just one step, which is odd in my opinion.

Some animations need work (especially the running animation), but it has a nice transition between each, so that part it kind of feels smooth and natural which is always good.

Nice job with orbs changing value of your score when you interact with them and also when you hit an enemy your health drops a fixed amount. That's already a quarter work done right there :)

Also the enemy animation, when knocked down, is really close to the fancy pants one, so you practically nailed that part down, good job.

When you reach every sign, a prompt pops up with a text box, so kudos to you for making that. The character design is pretty decent too, I might add.

Overall, a nice start, good idea to get inspired by a game(in this case, fancy pants) and try to copy everything 'till it looks exactly the same, a point of perspective on what to do, what to fix, etc. I'm sure you'll be dropping games on armor games in no time. Best of luck!

(Also don't think I didn't notice you getting lazy on the background, my hawk eyes don't miss anything T.T)

Posted Jul 18, '13 at 7:14am

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,062 posts

Just now realised that I was looking at an older preview, sorry about that. Some things were fixed and improved, others left unchanged. At least you're on the right track, keep the previews coming and I'll sure drop here every now and then to help you create a great game :)

Posted Jul 18, '13 at 1:24pm

Dimonychan

Dimonychan

6 posts

I wonder why there is so much noise about that? There are plenty of clones of famous games on Kongregate here and there. Screw graphics, there are a lot of games with bad graphics, but there are no such features that make it good and playable.

Posted Jul 18, '13 at 6:16pm

mightybob

mightybob

351 posts

Very reminiscent of fancy pants, I wonder why...

Fancy Pants is one of the first flash games I ever played, and the game itself is kind of a tribute to Fancy Pants.

Also thank you very much for all the input on the game!  I'll be sure to get to work fixing these bugs.

I came here to say thanks to everyone for all their input and help so far making this game, and I will be giving everyone who has been helping me debug a special thanks in the credits of the finished game!

Posted Jul 19, '13 at 10:12am

mightybob

mightybob

351 posts

The game description on my website has been updated with a spot for a list of new features and bug fixes in each update and also a list of features that will be added soon! http://bobmania.com/fancyhat.html

Posted Jul 19, '13 at 10:34am

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

464 posts

Great game so far. There are a few bugs here and there that others have mentioned, but what really gets to me is the movement; It seems choppy and hard to control. Smoothing it out would be nice. The hit-box for the bats seems a bit wonky as well; I would try to jump on top of the bat, and get knocked to the side without even touching the bat.
(By the way, I don't know how much you can copy from Fancy Pants before getting sued. rofl.)

Posted Jul 19, '13 at 11:02am

mightybob

mightybob

351 posts

(By the way, I don't know how much you can copy from Fancy Pants before getting sued. rofl.)

XD I am working on replacing the things that were outright stolen from Fancy Pants.

but what really gets to me is the movement

This is something I am working on long term, this is my first game that I am really putting a lot of work into and the char movement is definitely on my list of things to fix.

The hit-box for the bats seems a bit wonky as well;

I don't have the bats 100% figured out yet, but thanks for pointing out that bug.

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted Jul 21, '13 at 8:31pm

mightybob

mightybob

351 posts

Just wanted to explain why the new update is taking so long, the following is copied from the blog of my website:

We are very excited to announce that the 1.7 "Fedora" update to the In-Dev game The Fancy Hat Adventures will be the biggest update yet! It will have tons of improvments and new features, such as the long awaited ability to die! Movement is now less sloppy, and a Logo! You can see the logo on the side of this blog-post, there are also many more cool new features that will be coming in the "Fedora" update, so this update will take a bit longer than most have so far, but check back in a few days for a awesome update!

Reply to New Game Coming Soon

You must be logged in to post a reply!