Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Holidays changed for the money

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 3:51pm

OperationNilo

OperationNilo

4,066 posts

@OP Welcome to the world, mate. Would you like a tour?

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 4:14pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,003 posts

o many holidays (Holy Days) were created with Catholic intentions

lol nnnnnnnnnnnope

Christmas, Christ's birth,

1) Christmas is a Pagan holiday to celebrate the coming of a new year

2) Jesus wasn't actually born December 25

Halloween, the eve of all saints

Was influenced by Pagan roots.

The candy thing has actually been around for a long time..and is one of the aspects of the Holiday influenced by Christianity. Trick or Treating comes from the act of "souling"...where people believed souls would go to Purgatory after death, and would need to be prayed for to go to heaven. Children would go door to door, asking for Soul Cakes, and in turn would pray for the souls.

The Cakes, being eaten, would represent a soul being freed.

Easter, Christ's rising from the dead, somehow only marks the beginning of spring, involving eggs, candy, and bunnies

You should probably learn the symbolism behind them before bashing them.

Spring is a universal symbol for birth
Eggs symbolize birth.
Bunnies, because of their fast reproductions, symbolize birth.

Also, the holiday has HEAVY Pagan influences..whilst the story and idea of Jesus has heavy influences from other religions

"St." Valentines day, somehow became a day of love, even though it's honoring a saint.

Read.

The idea of the holiday involving Romantic love has been around since the 14th century.

St. Patrick's day became a day of leprechauns rather than St. Patrick.

Inside of Ireland, they celebrate it as a religious holiday. Outside of holiday, it is usually a celebration of Ireland.

And not Leprechauns, but things associated with Ireland.

Thanksgiving became turkey day, and was about harvest, and the thanks to God was removed.

It's about being Thankful in general. And the Turkey/food is to represent the feast of the Pilgrims

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 5:34pm

Wyrzen

Wyrzen

327 posts

Sure the holidays became Christianized as time went on, but a massive amount of holidays were pagan to begin with.

And why is literally everything 'catholic' in some shape or form? I mean, the election of a pope is political mess for goodness sake.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 5:45pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

lol nnnnnnnnnnnope

LOL YYYYEEEESSSS

1) Christmas is a Pagan holiday to celebrate the coming of a new year

No silly, Christ's Mass or Christmas is celebrating Christ's Birth.
Alright...Maybe there JUST SO HAPPENED to be pagan holidays AROUND the holidays that were totally created by Christianity, but that doesn't mean those holidays are pagan or have pagan origins. Sure, December is the month getting ready for the new year, so some of the pagan things, like mistletoe, are included, but not into Christmas because it's Christmas, but because it's in December. Notice when people say, "Happy Holidays" they're including all of the December holidays. Ramadan is such a holy day!

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 6:08pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

No silly, Christ's Mass or Christmas is celebrating Christ's Birth.

Yeah, as if we really needed more proof you don't actually read what we say...

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 6:11pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

Yeah, as if we really needed more proof you don't actually read what we say...

I read it all, and OBVIOUSLY you didn't read the rest of my paragraph.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 6:16pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,522 posts

Knight

Declan, go to the first page, last comment, second link. It's about Yule. I think you'll find it interesting.

You see, I'm not saying christians have no festivals original to themselves, they just absorbed the most important festivities and rites of the communities they converted, making them part of the celebrations. Which is why so many christian holidays have a christian mythology background and pagan roots.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 6:29pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,003 posts

I read it all, and OBVIOUSLY you didn't read the rest of my paragraph

Then you would have read my link that showed that Jesus wasn't born on December 25th.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 6:29pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

and OBVIOUSLY you didn't read the rest of my paragraph.

I did. And if you had read what we've been saying, you'd already know that it's a bunch of apologetics and is ignoring the point. HahiHa summarized nicely.

Posted Jul 5, '13 at 6:32pm

KnightDeclan

KnightDeclan

487 posts

Declan, go to the first page, last comment, second link. It's about Yule. I think you'll find it interesting.

Germanic holidays "considered" Christmas have no relation to the true Christmas. Perhaps this is the one that actually has pagan roots.

You see, I'm not saying Christians have no festivals original to themselves, they just absorbed the most important festivities and rites of the communities they converted, making them part of the celebrations. Which is why so many christian holidays have a christian mythology background and pagan roots.

I get what you all mean, but I still think you all miss the point. Christmas wasn't started by pagans. It, being around the same time and having similar feelings maybe, included or mixed them up for modern day society, so that even atheists could spend money on gifts.

2) Jesus wasn't actually born December 25

They have no idea which star was the Star of Christ.

Reply to Holidays changed for the money

You must be logged in to post a reply!