ForumsThe TavernBut What was the Cause/Reason?

15 4623
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I've always had a fun little habit of looking back on interests or friends of mine, and reflecting upon how or why the thing in question became an interest of mine or friend of mine (or, came into my life).

It can be quite interesting at times, thinking back and realizing "wow! So if I hadn't done x, or because x happened, I discovered y!".
Example
A band I like, Dir en Grey. My discovery of them happened as follows:
One random day, I decided to watch Smosh videos..probably out of some nostalgia whenever watched them in their early days. I watched a couple, and after their incessant badgering to visit their website (happens at the end of each of their videos), I crumbled and checked it out. They had some of those "15 things that blah blah", and one of them was of odd band names. I flipped through the list, and stumbled upon a Japanese band called "Electric Toilet"..or some ****. I, for some odd reason, decided to check them out..but while listening..a majority of the comments on the Youtube video stated that Dir en Grey was much better. At first, I ignored it..but the comments were on more than one song..so I decided I might as well check out this other band. Because of this, Dir en Grey is happily in my life.

So, I implore you all...share some stories of how certain things in your life came to be a part of your life.

• 15 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

If my friend had't suggested getting an AG account for SSL I would have never gotten one and therefore never met you guys.

If I hadn't moved around a bunch as a kid I would not have all these experiences and know all of my great friends.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Mine is the same as daleks.

A long time ago, a friend showed me a game on this site. Blah blah blah I loved the game, blah blah blah I searched the game and went to this website.

So if a friend hadn't showed me that game I wouldn't be here.

There's also this one time where Storm got me into Tobuscus, but that's another story.

DidactUnbound
DidactUnbound
370 posts
Nomad

I actually discovered Armor Games in late 2010, but I made an account four months ago today. The reason I made an account in the first place was because of when I played Exit Path 2. I had reached Level 32 before I made my account. That's how I got my Armor Games account.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Got into Streetlight Manifesto because I used to play Tony Hawks Pro Skater back in the day. They had the song "Superman" by goldfinger on there and I decided to look up the genre. Turned out to be ska and partydevil has led me to streetlight.

THPS was the first game where I completed 100% two games of a series.

ImKyle
ImKyle
3 posts
Nomad

Improv comedy.

Around three years ago, when I was fourteen I just happened to stumble upon a show called "Whose Line Is it Anyway?" I was kind of feeling down at the time because I had just "broke up" with my so called "friends". However, after watching the show, do you know what I discovered?

ONE OF THE GOD **** BEST SHOWS EVER!

It was amazing. I loved every second of every single show and I must have watched at least 20 hours of the show within that weekend. So, straight after my marathon I immediately joined an improv group. I was the youngest of the group and really shy but I tried extra hard to get to know the group. Slowly but surely I warmed up and eventually I stopped being the noob, went to regular, to experienced, and now to veteran.

One of THE best decisions of my life.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I just happened to stumble upon a show called "Whose Line Is it Anyway?"

Best show ever, right? It is coming back you know.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

BRF321JOJO, what was the cause/reason for this disliking?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I Don't like pangtongshu!

=D

what was the cause/reason for this disliking?

*looks at thread title*
That's referring to what I made! =D
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I Don't like pangtongshu!

=D

what was the cause/reason for this disliking?

*looks at thread title*
That's referring to what I made! =D

XD

Anyways, I started watching Avatar: the Last Airbender after I saw a commercial for it when I was seven. At that age, my parents had to preview everything I watched. The day after it premiered, I got to watch it and fell in love with it (even though season one wasn't the best).

500th post! Small achievement, but whatever.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

hyperrealistic blood...

Like in this?

Everything is a progression of cause and effect, if I hadn't decided I wanted online saves for I THINK Raze 2, I wouldn't have made an account and I never would have gone here and met all you peeps and then later go over to Sky9 and meet dem peeps.

~~~Darth Caedus
Tasselfoot
Tasselfoot
802 posts
Chamberlain

You may enjoy this, as it's the odd path I took to working for Armor:

-Went on a trip to Israel with a good friend after my freshman year of college.
-Met a girl on the trip who liked playing DDR. Started dating.
-Remembered seeing this online-DDR website called flashflashrevolution.com and decided to try it out to get into something my new lady friend enjoyed.
-Really got into the online-DDR thing, to the point where they offered me a job after I got out of college (in 2006).
-Did that for a few years, but also really got into this flash game site called Kongregate at the same time.
-Wanted to give back to the Kong community... and did that by making videos on YouTube showing how to get various badges.
-Girl, who I was still dating, decided to move to California... I moved with her.
-My videos on how to get Kong badges became popular, the online-DDR site started having issues, and the YouTube partner program came out. Started making money from making videos.
-Got a message on YouTube from John Cooney and Dan McNeely about a video I made for Achievement Unlocked (the original one). I took that as an opportunity to drive to Irvine and meet with them in person.
-Made videos, did testing work, and designed a game or 3 with Dan and John on an as-needed basis for a few years.
-The YouTube business started to die off a bit, but Dan decided to be awesome and turn "as-needed" into "all-the-time"... and I've now been working for Armor for over a year.

All because I met a girl in Israel back in 2003.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Ever since then, the song Battery Kinzie from that album has had a sense of fear and tension whilst I listen, despite my attempts to enjoy the tune, even as blood does not both me nearly as much anymore.

That song/album must mold to what people are doing at the time. I was reading a book series (now my favorite) while discovering the Fleet Foxes. Now I have nostalgic flashbacks of those books whenever I listen to that album.
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

How I got into anime and manga-

1. Saw cartoons. Got into drawing.
2. Saw Pokemon at young age. Liked art style.
3. Saw Naruto and DBZ. Learned what anime was.
4. Got into anime. Learned what manga was.
5. $Profit$

Lackluster stories are lackluster.

Showing 1-13 of 15