ForumsWEPR[Necro] My Paranoid teachers over religion in school

9 6743
Lanod
Lanod
28 posts
Nomad

In class we were once talking about the Dead Sea and how it's so salty you can float on it, and I was like 12 at the time and I asked can you walk on it? This question had no offensive intent or hinting at religion but she said, I won't dignify that with a response and moved on. After class I received a very long lecture on how you can't mention walking on water in school or any other discussion regarding religion?
So, was she right please give your opinion

• 9 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

People are too sensitive about anything anymore. I suppose it's socially acceptable for your teacher to give that response, but it annoys me.

benman113
benman113
329 posts
Peasant

Well obviously your teacher over reacted, a lot of the time I discuss religion with my teachers not during actual class time but I guess that doesn't really apply here. I don't think she was right if that answers your question, that's more of a science question anyways, she made the connection to Jesus in her mind you didn't out right ask about Jesus anyways.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

In class we were once talking about the Dead Sea and how it's so salty you can float on it, and I was like 12 at the time and I asked can you walk on it?This question had no offensive intent or hinting at religion but she said, I won't dignify that with a response and moved on. After class I received a very long lecture on how you can't mention walking on water in school or any other discussion regarding religion?

1) If you only asked if it could be walked on, especially in that context, I don't know why she would instantly leap to thinking you meant Jesus.

2) She was overreacting.

3) You can discuss religion in school. It's probably not appropriate in most class settings, however, and even more so for a 6th/7th grade class full of bratty kids that go home and tell mommy that the teacher was trying to make them believe something they don't.
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

I think she way over reacted. I mean, it's one thing to separate church and state but that was an innocent comment. Since she didn't know that I feel she did okay with the 'needing to address' part, just not the massively long lecture that followed.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yes she over reacted. Though she shouldn't have to feel off put that her answer might upset someone's beliefs.

And it could have been answered by saying how you wouldn't be floating out of the water on the surface but in the water like you would in a swimming pool. It would just be much easier to float and much harder to sink because of our natural buoyancy in water.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

she made the short assumption that you were joking a (probably hers) religion.
since you didn't had this intention and she didn't gave you room to explain it. she was wrong. she could also have said "is that a real question?" or let you explain and let you go instead of giving a long lecture.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

awww do i have to? i think its obvious.

im pretty sure ive asked that question when i was young. and i didnt even know what christianity was or who jesus is.
thecode11
thecode11
239 posts
Nomad

She wasn't right it was a innocent question she could have said something about a scientific way to do it or a tech that could be made to do it. (excuse my lack of knowledge of science this is just my opinion)

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Let's not necro 4 month old threads that never got off the ground.

Showing 1-9 of 9