ForumsProgramming ForumAS2 Facebook Connect and multiplayer (peer to peer?) questions

6 7803
Casavirx
Casavirx
3 posts
Nomad

Hi,
Right, so as the title indicates, I have questions about using Facebook Connect and creating a multiplayer (possibly using peer to peer) in Action Script 2. Just a bit of a context so you guys can understand my plight:

My colleagues have been making games for years now, however they have limited knowledge on some programming aspects (using APIs, setting up databases and so on aren't their forte) and they can use a hand at this point to help with implementing new features.

I usually work with HTML, PHP, JS, etc. making websites for clients, so quite frankly, besides making a (really ****ty) flash game in college a few years back, I have no clue how to work with Flash in general.

So I've been asked to look around on the web for solutions. I've found some tutorials and documentation, but after a couple hours of looking at 'em, I'm honestly not sure what to use or why X would be better than Y.

I'm sure many of you have more knowledge than I do on AS2 and maybe some have had experience with Facebook Connect or setting up a multi-player (it's a 1 vs 1 arena setup, so the Peer to Peer options seem to be optimal?). I'd really appreciate if anyone could share hints, tips or really any information that could point me in the right direction.

• 6 Replies
weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

you need to sign up for a beta developers key but you can use Cirrus from Adobe labs.

Its not a major server but is strictly client to client

there are links there for as2, but all in all you would still need to learn about how servers operate. Check out the ServerSocket documentation from Adobe

there are other server sites which will host server connections, personally I don't like to use 3rd party sites where you don't have full control, but you can check out player.IO

here's a fancy book if you like

I highly recommend downloading Flex and compiling your as2 code into as3 format, but whatever you like

good luck

Casavirx
Casavirx
3 posts
Nomad

Hey weirdlike,

Thanks for the reply

I've actually seen and read on Cirrus, ServerSocket, player.IO and the book you linked. Your links actually confirm that I was looking at the right stuff when I was searching, so that's a relief, but I wasn't sure it would accomplish what I wanted and the team's Flash programmer isn't exactly a programmer (he does animations, effects, simple code, but he's uncomfortable with anything new/complex) so when I talked to him about those resources, he couldn't really tell me if that's what he needed.

Transforming the AS2 code into AS3 using Flex could probably fix some issues, considering how outdated AS2 is. How reliable is Flex? Could a game survive that?

Otherwise using AS2 with those resources is something viable? Or is it a nightmare? If it's possible, we can make something work, I'm sure, but I just need to confirm it will before we initiate anything, considering our time is very limited (need to work on other games :x )

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

I highly recommend partnering up with someone who specializes in this area otherwise just start small and work your way up

HERE is an XMLsocket example of how to do simple client to client connection in as2

for your unique situation I'm not sure what the best route would be, all I can say is go with what make's the most sense :/

strouthas
strouthas
24 posts
Nomad

Besides the difficult part to make AS2 connect to a server or p2p, facebook graph api library is available only for AS3, so I think it's a one way road to port your game in AS3 first.

weirdlike
weirdlike
1,299 posts
Prince

duly noted, googled it, and it looks like it's true

Adobe

code.google

Casavirx
Casavirx
3 posts
Nomad

Thanks for the info guys. The other stuff I read pointed in that direction too, and what you've said pretty much confirms it.

Onward to AS3 then. Had to be done at some point.

Thanks again for the help

Showing 1-6 of 6