Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Camping

Posted Jul 17, '13 at 7:25pm

R2D21999

R2D21999

8,197 posts

I get the feeling he didn't CHOOSE to sleep in a tent.

There weren't tents at all.

Posted Jul 17, '13 at 11:08pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,276 posts

So apparently the place we are going to be staying at for the camping trip is owned by one of the girl's family members...and she wants us to pay her $5.

Ha
Hahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA XD

Posted Jul 17, '13 at 11:48pm

aknerd

aknerd

1,275 posts

Tell her you'll pay on the condition that the money go to camping "supplies".

(That means booze. Or marshmallows. Whatever.)

Posted Jul 18, '13 at 10:05am

Gamer_Cale

Gamer_Cale

1,414 posts

Not all camps have tents. Koda camp has cabins and so do many other camps. Plus that was your fault you were cold, I slept in a tent in the winter and was very warm.

Thats not what I would class as camping thats going to camp which are two different things IMO camping is when you go on holiday and sleep in a tent where going to camp is going to a camp where groups of other people go to an area generally with activities set up around.

Posted Jul 18, '13 at 12:41pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,276 posts

Tell her you'll pay on the condition that the money go to camping "supplies".

Two of my friends are the only other ones in disagreement of paying with me, they also to be the two I'm tenting up with. One is actually going to bring a crap-ton of snacks, drinks, possibly booze, etc..and he said what he is going to do is that if she demands we pay when the camping trip comes up, then he shan't let her have any supplies.

Looks like all the marshmallows are going to me

Posted Jul 19, '13 at 8:31am

R2D21999

R2D21999

8,197 posts

camping is when you go on holiday and sleep in a tent

That's also the same as going to a camp.

going to camp is going to a camp where groups of other people go to an area generally with activities set up around.

That is also the same as camping.

A summer camp is no different from regular camping, besides there being more people.

Posted Jul 19, '13 at 9:14am

aknerd

aknerd

1,275 posts

That's also the same as going to a camp.

A lot of the summer camps I have seen have more permanent dwellings, like cabins and whatnot. Whereas camping pretty much guarantees you will be staying in at best a tent.

For me, "camping" has connotations of lots of hiking, whereas "going to a camp" implies that you will be more or less in one area. Furthermore, if you are going to a camp, you are probably going somewhere that is set up for the sole purpose of camping, and has facilities like outhouses and perhaps even showers. When I camp, I am almost always backpacking, and don't stay in the same location for more than one night.

To add to the semantic confusion:
In Maine, people also say that they "have a camp". This means that they have a semi-rustic dwelling in a non-urban location, like on a lake or something that they only live in seasonally. But these dwellings are typically pretty nice, and at home we would just call them "houses" or more likely, "those rich white people houses".

Posted Jul 19, '13 at 11:21am

xeano321

xeano321

2,557 posts

Knight

*Sighs* I never get to go camping....

This thread hurts my feelings.

Reply to Camping

You must be logged in to post a reply!