ForumsThe TavernDreams

37 6636
flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

I just now though of this, and it sounded interesting and I can't figure it out. I know there are many people that are intelligent on AG.

So let's get straight to it. Dreams. You generate them. But you can't control them. They make no sense, and yet, in your mind, they make sense. You tell a dream to someone else and they think you're crazy. Some dreams actually come true. I'm so perplexed, and I need posts. Tell me what you think.

• 37 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

i remember watching the ending to a show on dreams, you go through all your memories and sort out which ones are things you should remember and which are the ones you shouldn't remember when you're dreaming

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

in other words your subconscious mind takes over

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Well, if in the future, we invented a medicare to shut down your subconscious mind, would you be able to control your dreams?

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

My theory on dreams is as follows:

To me my dreams are composed of multiple items/sounds/thoughts/and sights from the previous day/days. Just compiled into a fantasy movie flick

I also theorize that when your dreaming, time going by in the real world is faster than your dream. Explaining why some dreams can last all night, and yet so little will happen in them.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

you are already unable to control what your dreams are (if you eat or watch something on tv before you go to bed then you will dream about it so i guess you kindof can control your dreams it's just a replay of what you did during the day, if we invent a medicare to shut that down you will stop breathing regulating blood and killing viruses, or die

Reason we don't dream about breathing or remember eating is because we think it is unimportant

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Well, I brought up the idea of shutting down your subconsisnious part of your mind because many little children have terrible nightmares and aaren't as fun as usual.

@ Apocalypse

The reason that once you go alseep you feel like it was only 2 minutes is because you are uncouncsious.

@Arax_Nisanu

Well, half of that is true. Say someone has a nightmare. They haven't seen most of that (hopefully!). :P
Well, dreams are actually very slow. That explains why dreams are so long, and so less happens in them.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

in the future you could try shutting down the part that is only with memories.. of course then you will have nothing in your dream. I wonder what you would dream of then....

Sub-conscious mind wins over Conscious mind every day.

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Well, if you shut down your memory part of your brain, you would never remember the good things thaat happened to you. And you also wouldn't remember ANYTHING you said or did.

Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

And you also wouldn't remember ANYTHING you said or did.

Some people do...
And i do...But only sometimes.
Prim
Prim
43 posts
Nomad

The problem is, some people remember their dreams, some even in detail. Some people immediatley forget their dreams when they wake up. I'm not sure about why this happens.

GregWeeler
GregWeeler
259 posts
Nomad

I'll dream about something that is totally normal and then all of a sudden my dream switches to the craziest thing ever.

Example: I was dreaming of fishing, and then in a split second I was being chased by a giant cat. Weird?

Also I hate the dreams of falling. I always wake up and jerk because it feels like I'm falling and I'm sweating and everything.

Prim
Prim
43 posts
Nomad

Have your dreams always run on it's own? You have no control of it. You can only see what is going to happen next. And to hope that it isn't bad. One of my dreams went like this. First I was climbing up a nearby mountain to go skiing, then a second later I was jumping into the sahara desert being chased by a jeep. Dreams make no sense. Yet they do unlock something...

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

i ment shut down memory when your asleep

thedead200
thedead200
62 posts
Nomad

i know what you mean with the falling thing GregWeeler, i get those all the time... and i jump everytime.. you think that eventually i would get used to it.. but anyways, i have dreams of totally regular things that could happen.... and some actually do, and then i yell DEJA VU!!!! lol but idk... do you people with the crazy dreams have dreams every night? because i don't... sooo do you listen to music when you are asleep? i think it would help to slow down your subconsious thinking, and stop most of the crazy dreams...

runeman153
runeman153
108 posts
Nomad

i think dreams generate deja-vu because i was sleeping and i had a dream about school and my teacher was saying

so if u take X and put in a chart
and i could see what he was doing and when i looked down in my dream i could see wut i was writing. so the next day i go to school and he says the exact thing i dreamed and doing exactly what i dreamed and i had on my paper...well u get the idea. so dreams are more than visual images playing like a movie in your mind. i think that with the right technology that someday we could predict stuff unlike the fortune tellers.
Showing 1-15 of 37