ForumsWEPRGates to step down from Microsoft?

4 2151
Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

The chairman of Microsoft and one of the world's richest men, Bill Gates, is stepping down from his job running the world's largest software company.

Mr Gates, who made his fortune through developing software for the personal computer, plans to devote his time to charity work.

As a teenager Bill Gates had a vision of a personal computer on every desk in every home.

He says he caught sight of the future and based his career on what he saw.

The son of a successful lawyer from Seattle, Mr Gates programmed his first computer at the age of 13.

During his two years at Harvard University, he spent much of his time finessing his programming skills as well as enjoying the occasional all-night poker sessions.

He eventually dropped out of college and moved to Albuquerque, in New Mexico, where he set up Microsoft with his childhood friend, Paul Allen.

Great responsibility

Their big break came in 1980 when Microsoft signed an agreement with IBM to build the operating system that became known as MS-DOS.

Microsoft went public in 1986 and within a year Bill Gates, at 31, had become the youngest self-made billionaire.

Now 52, he still has boyish looks, but he is no longer the world's richest man. He has been overtaken by the investor Warren Buffett and the Mexican telecoms tycoon Carlos Slim.

But Mr Gates' fortune is at the root of his decision to leave his day job and concentrate on his charitable organization, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

He will remain as Microsoft's chairman and work on special technology projects, but according to Mr Gates, great wealth brings great responsibility and his future work will include finding new vaccines and financing projects in the developing world.

So, as i was reading this i couldn't believe why at age 51 he would be stepping down from such a position! It boggles my mind to Earths ends! I realize he plans on working in charity, but stepping down? Is it really the right time? In my point of view, the next era to come is the digital era. Where micro chips and circuit boards run everything. If i were Bill Gates, i would stay as president of Microsoft for many years to come. I am just curious...what does everyone else think of this?

*SOURCE^
  • 4 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

didn't bill gates look in a window or something one day and stole the idea from original microsoft inventors? at least that's what i heard

i bet he just wants to look good and still have the media

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

^ he established Microsoft with his bud Paul Allen. Stolen, i think not.

MrMonkey3
MrMonkey3
495 posts
Nomad

Barry mantilow was the GREATEST runningback of all time no one could stop him, he was going to shatter every record. Right before he broke the all time rushing yards record he quit. He said he didnt have the same love for the game so he left the nfl.

So maybe Mr. Gates just doesnt want to do it anymore.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Bill Gtes has decided to devote his life to philanthropy giving all his money away to defeat malaria in africa. Even if it is not the right thing to do for the company it is the right thing to do for mankind. Other million/billionaires should follow his example. Its strange rele how evr1 hates microsoft compared to apple wen gates gives loads of his $$ to charity and apple give away nothing. at the end of the day its his choice.

Showing 1-4 of 4