ForumsSupport Forum[Official] The AG security breach

77 44613
gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

Hey guys, I was wondering what exactly happened with the security breach that happened this afternoon and how this will affect us as AG users. Any help would be appreciated. :-)

• 77 Replies
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@fnatasy4life I would make sure you have a good password, it doesn't have to be crazy, but strong.

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

@Slick7859 I'm confused. You should still have all your progress and ALL content you paid for. If you don't, e-mail me a description of what's going on with your account to Ferret@ArmorGames.com. Be patient though, I'm helping a lot of users with issues.

boristhebutcher
boristhebutcher
1 posts
Nomad

i dont want to change my password i can remeber the email adress or anything i used to create the account now i cant play my games or anything what do i do if i dont want to change my password just let me play my f'in games

MrCleanOWG
MrCleanOWG
1 posts
Peasant

I can't seem to log into my original account. I can log into the home page (even though when it refreshes, it doesn't show my username/armatar) but when i click off the page to go to forums/games/etc., I'm no longer logged in. Not sure if I'm just bugged or if it's happening to others. Any input Ferret?

DinkyInky
DinkyInky
1 posts
Nomad

@boristhebutcher I'd much rather have an inconvenience of resetting a password than having some bozo have sensitive information.

I've been a victim of ID theft, and 20 years later, still have issues when it comes to anything credit related. Even though the person was caught and sent to jail(is still there), the effects are long-lasting.
Two things I do when I get an email like that. First thing is I read the forums and look for an admin to confirm the issue. Second, change my password(which I do on a monthly basis anyway{or more on frequently used sites} because of aforementioned ID theft issues--It really messes with your life yanno).
If you don't remember the email used, I suggest you go through all the email accounts you have and check for AG emails. Then follow the prompts for changing the password(you can always change it back). I, for one, am very glad they care enough to let us know.

Agree or disagree, as always it's...

Just my 2cp.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I've been on a forum where I reckon y'all would've been banned for speculating as much before any official word ;-P

Hey Ferret/admins, if I may, one only needed to fill in one's new password once now. It would of course be preferred to make that the usual twice, as a safety measure. People mistype or have their caps lock on, and there comes trouble, as they can't get in anymore.

To know if your account had been breached by just some scriptkiddie looking to mess things up, it would again be handy to be able to look at one's (or others' post history, to see if there's anything iffy there.

[quote=Superman19986]just kidding, but who would hack this website? What is there to gain... free games??[/quote]

I guess some will just be a-hacking for the heck of it (pardon the horrible pun), and then they would/might gain access to the entire admin functions, or indeed they could at least try and hook up your password to the email account provided, or to identical usernames used elsewhere. Etc., one presumes. Just deface the site, why?, because one can!, lord knows what else goes on in a hacker's mind.

[quote=Maverick4]Time to go trolling, and later blame it on these "malicious persons" after I'm caught. ^^[/quote]

LOL

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ps Ferret,

[quote=Ferret]@Slick7859 I'm confused. You should still have all your progress and ALL content you paid for. [/quote]

I guess what Slick means, and there are others reporting it, is that they have automatically had their usernames changed as well; meaning of course that they'll now have no acces to the content under the other username.

Don't ask me what's up there, but off the top of my head I'd guess that they have some automated remember my details thing set on their machines, which now neatly fills in the other details for them. Or so (?)

Emphasis mine:

[quote=Slick7859]ferret, that sounds good but what about those of us that had there account names changed but can log in with out any access to content we paid for and aver appear to have lost all progress in every game?[/quote]

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Then pps to contact people whose email address (that they signed up with) is no longer functional (or never was? I don't remember if it requires email confirmation), I guess a PM function here would again be welcome. Assuming they can still somehow log on here, of course.

Is my understanding right that communications to users now otherwise go through their profile pages? I don't understand that system very well (or at least the logic of it), but if they have no notifications on to that effect, they may of course never notice.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Then ppps nnnnnb (edit function yes alo handy ),

[quote=MacII]Assuming they can still somehow log on here, of course.[/quote]

Those reporting the issue here at least obviously still can.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Hmmm. There's an interesting case here, where the user says they were user1, now user2.

Just my guess again would be (so please do tell me if I'm talking BS ) that they were registered as being logged on still as they were changing the password. Since you can't have two usernames, hence now the 2.

But there are others reporting their usernames having been changed to something else completely. Again, I would guess they have their systems (their own computers) set to remember passwords.

There are people (amazingly many of them) who never clean up no nothing on their machines. In other words, they can go on forever on that same cookie, and being recognized as such.

But the moment that fails (that cookie is gone), and they now try and log on again, they will be remembered as whomever they originally signed up as.

I think. Just yesterday I happened to run into a machine where I'd logged in to a given site really months ago. I open the browser window to go to where I want to be, and bang it has all my details including password neatly filled in already. Whoops.

Sure enough that (semi-public) machine now remembers no nothing

On an unrelated sidenote, so am I right thinking this site goes through a regular daily backup (a good thing)? I've had the site briefly inaccessible regularly of late, at roughly around the same time, nighttime my end. I know from another site where this was the case, and it was at roughly the same time, apparently deemed lowest-traffic internationally.

I ran into the same thing here last night (so what I now understand to have been a breach in the works, rather than or beyond any back-up going on), and must have been trying to log on or at least out again. Since Ferret now says this request to change password has been sent out to a limited nr. of users, I would guess that would be (including to) anyone logged on at the time? Good security measure, for sure. Thanks.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I would make sure you have a good password, it doesn't have to be crazy, but strong.

I think you would cry Ferret if you saw my password.
jbondguy007
jbondguy007
47 posts
Scribe

Changed my password even thought I didn't feel like so. This is quite annoying as this is the second time in a week a site asked me to reset my password because they got hacked and blablabla... Anyways, thanks to the Armor Games Team for sending me a notification about the breach. I feel sorry for you guys about this, but remember, don't let anything stop you!

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I would make sure you have a good password, it doesn't have to be crazy, but strong.

Mine is both crazy and strong, thus making my account entirely impenetrable.

Persons implies many. pang's accomplice(s) is still out there.

Shhhh.... That's supposed to be secret.
KRONOSIAN
KRONOSIAN
3 posts
Nomad

i dont know what my email was for my account i played the last stand dead zone
my in game name is hyberion and my armor id is arbiterdarknal please help me

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Am I right thinking the "last post" function (in threads on the forum overview pages) got messed up?

No great issue, just mostly reporting it.

Showing 31-45 of 77