ForumsSupport Forum[Answered] Armor Games loading slower of late

62 14670
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

At first I thought it was just me, but a fellow user (who may choose to reveal himself/herself or not) has also been having the same issues. Of late, when traveling around the forums, the loading time for each section/thread/page/etc. has been slower than normal.

Any reason why? Expected time for this to continue?

• 62 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=PJBomega]try this. i mentioned in an earlier post. http://armorgames.com/community/thread/11811473/speed-up-your-load-times-and-game-speed[/quote]

i added an ad blocker to my google chrome as well. a lot of the issues cleared up. all the adware and what nots really slowed my processing speed down.

Um, PJ, it's good for you to discover how to keep your system clean, but I don't think it's what's affecting people here

Yes, regularly cleaning up your disk and defragging is a good thing. (How regularly? Depends on many factors. For defragmenting, 10% fragmentation or over is often heard as a rule of thumb, to run a defrag. Cleaning up your disk before you do is a good idea, so you could let the one precede the other.) A virus and malware scan is a good idea to run if you haven't in ages or never have, but once you have and provided they're properly installed and kept updated, it shouldn't be necessary to repeat very often (Well, notably if you're in the habit of installing and trying out lord knows what all cute gadgets and cracks and toolbars and stuff all the time, it can't hurt to regularly repeat.)

Finally, an ad blocker doesn't protect against malware, they're two separate things. What you're thinking of would be a spyware or adware scanner, and remover. (An ad blocker is meant to speed things up some, as it should weed out superfluous stuff; then again you'll lose some performance again, since it does need to weed it out first.)

Anyways, these are all measures to keep your machine somewhat tidy and so hopefully a little spiffy. But I don't think it will affect what people are now reporting much. I can't really comment, as I'm not that familiar here. Other than that I agree the forum seems generally pretty slow to respond, slower than to my intuition it might, and I don't think it was always like that since I've been here. Superfluous images and things it also won't be, for me: I don't get to see any in the forums here. And I keep my machine nice and tidy, part automated, part by hand
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Are things any better now?

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I've a feeling it's a bit swifter to respond now yes, thanks. Always hard to tell, though I guess the regulars may have the better view of it. Tuesday afternoon my end it still seemed pretty laggy, plus the whole system stalled at some point.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

ps It is still the case that I sometimes find the forums (and/or the site proper) completely unresponsive. Not timing out, but just forever trying to connect to no avail, it seems. (They may time out at some point, but if they do it takes longer than I care to wait. As in quite long.) Or it may happen that the main page loads, but nothing can be done there. Or game pages may load, but not the games, they're largely empty, save for their overall templates. I guess forum pages will then usually not load at all, or again keep stalling forever when trying to surf on.

Assuming it's not at my end, I had been noticing this before at somewhere after midnight my end, I think roughly 01-02:00'ish CET, but haven't kept that close an eye. Making me think maybe it's some regular back-up thing going on then.

But these past days, I'm running into it at other hours. E.g., just now, and maybe a half hour or hour before it. I think yesterday it was occurring at perhaps roughly the same time, maybe late morning/early afternoon my end, but again I haven't kept track that closely.

Regular occurrence, irregular glitch, further maintenance work ongoing...? I'm just mostly reporting it, in case it's something that needs looking at. Hey, sites will stall and hang and stuff; although I guess you the keepers would prefer for it to do so as little as possible

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Actually, the forums were still extremely slow for me until now.

PJBomega
PJBomega
44 posts
Blacksmith

I dont want to use the @ there needs to be a 'with'. Macll any way to just continue. i find the ad blocker helps me quite a bit. with no adds loading, showing, or animating i find my page loads at least twice as fast, games at least twice as fast depending on the game. as are all things situations are different. with my desk top PC nearing a decade, with its keyboard MASSIVE monitor, and innards the point i guess im trying get at is browser + game = processing power used ( call it ppu and browser game bg ) BG + adds = more ppu. more ppu + other open tabs ( oot ) = even more ppu. so OOT + BG x ADDS = Drag On PPU. if you get rid of the adds it makes an over all big difference.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Yes, I'm sure if cleaning and further fine-tuning your system had noticeable results, that will have been worth it, and a great relief compared to what you had before.

But now let's assume some others already regularly do so and long have, and still are noticing issues regarding site responsiveness here

PJBomega
PJBomega
44 posts
Blacksmith

yeah i had suggested that they change the adds to one fixed non animating add, and one animated add. when i get two animated adds going at the same time. it really throughs a wrench in things

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

So the forums will continue to be slow on and off as we puzzle into a solution for this sluggishness. We have our best guys on the case!

ivan
ivan
1,417 posts
King

Forum is loaded partially or its not loading at all.
At this time of day forum is stable more or less.

Screenshot: Partially loaded forum (It started from yesterday)

http://s22.postimg.org/li9hgr09d/ivan2.jpg

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=Ferret]So the forums will continue to be slow on and off as we puzzle into a solution for this sluggishness. We have our best guys on the case! [/quote]

[quote=ivanxxxxxxx]Forum is loaded partially or its not loading at all[/quote]

So am I right thinking yesterday there was some major thing going on? Couldn't get into the forums for the life of me, tried at several different times, gave up at some point. Games did load, for some reason; I guess they're hosted separately?

As of now, all seems to be in order.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

[quote=PJBomega]yeah i had suggested that they change the adds to one fixed non animating add, and one animated add. when i get two animated adds going at the same time. it really throughs a wrench in things[/quote]

Sounds like, in earnestness, you may want to look into getting a new machine.

A new second-hand one where I live costs really peanuts, it's all I've ever used. And what's still pricey today will be peanuts tomorrow. I guess they can likewise be acquired over the web, though call me old-fashioned but I like to buy my stuff face-to-face still, and anyway in the city I'm in this is no problem.

Let's see, I have trouble still properly reading this dual-core 2.8 Ghz 1GB RAM (?) 75 GB PC that I'm on, but anyway that's what I bought just the other day for 65 Euros. (I found it arguably cheap, and I guess they like my face, but.) It suffices for my current needs. I'll throw in a video card one of these days, although the chipset it came with allows me to play whatever, save for two games I have, arguably none of the most state-of-the-art stuff.

(Of course, if advanced graphics or gaming is your aim, something more advanced may well be in order. For these online games however, shouldn't be any problem. Maybe some of these MMO's can be demanding, I'm not into it so wouldn't know.)

Anyways, if your machine gets the hiccups over two animated ads running, then yes I'm afraid it may be well past its expiry date. Imagine what that game alone requires of you. I'm all for keeping content such as a webforum like this as technically accessible to all as possible, but these games having their demands to meet you're just not gonna do much about. It's pretty much suck it up or can't play, I guess.

ps

[quote=UnleashedUponMankind]Seems it fixed, whoever it was, thx^^[/quote]

Yeah, not logged in much, but ever since yesterday when I did, the forum seems to be running nice and smoothly

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

... Then always a pps, PJ or others, if you're on a 56 kb dialup modem, that is of course gonna be your bottleneck: There's no point in throwing the latest ultra-machine against it, or not for your online affairs, anyway.

Anyway and other than that, I thought it was the forum pages being reportedly slower that was under discussion. Games will be a whole different ballgame; these forum pages are mostly textual at my end, even disabling any ad blockers and stuff I have up, though ads may still get blocked by some other of my settings. I see none here, no matter what I do. (So are there any, in these forums? Never have seen them, indeed. On the gaming pages, sure.)

Anyways: She does seem to be currently going steady, so full speed ahead, for as long as it lasts

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I appreciated that maintenance notification being up on the forums yesterday btw, I'm sure many would have.

So -- thanks

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

The Forums page itself is nonresponsive again, though I can access individual forums as well as threads and profiles just fine.

I appreciated that maintenance notification being up on the forums yesterday btw, I'm sure many would have.

I never saw such a notification.
Showing 16-30 of 62