ForumsPopular MediaWhat constitutes a band or artist as a "Sell-out"?

8 6567
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

So there was a discussion on here, some time back, about Green Day and how they have sold out. Then, while doing some White Castle shiz..talking with a worker..I mentioned Green Day selling out to him, to which he replied that they did not sell-out.

His reasoning: they did change their sound, but they the music they created was still for artistic purposes. He continued to mention Blink-182 as a band that has sold out (or Sum 41, I don't know..I always confuse the two)..saying because they barely do interviews anymore and don't tour as much (basically, creating music just to "cash in", per se).

So my question is..what constitutes a band, or artist, as a sell-out? What bands or artists have sold out? How have they sold out? etc.

• 8 Replies
Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

You might of posted this in the wrong section...
However, the Wikipedia states this=

There are two distinct forms of selling out in terms of music. The term 'sell out' referred to those who signed for major labels and those who licensed their music to companies for use in advertising that contradict their apparent values, and more recently it can also refer to those who sacrifice their musical integrity through a change in their musical sound, sometimes due to pressure from major labels or in order to gain profit by making their music more appealing to a mainstream audience.

Examples of these artists include...
The Beatles
Nirvana
(the only ones I could think of)
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

You might of posted this in the wrong section.

Whoops, yes I did. Thank you for pointing out before others could see my mistake..alerting a mod now.

I'll get to the rest later..for now...sleep
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

you can also take it a step further like fred durst (limp bizkit). start a company to make music and just do it for the money. no matter that you hate the music you make. if it sells then we play it.
that kinda attitude.

more sell out then limp bizkit, it doesn't really go.

HopeRidesAlone
HopeRidesAlone
17 posts
Nomad

I define a sell out as someone who doesnt care about making art anymore and only cares about making money now. So they continue to make music to make money, not because they want to be creative. Or someone who changes their music so that it makes more money or is more popular just for the money/popularity.

Also. There had to be artistic integrity in the first place. For example, Kesha is not a sellout because her music has always been purely about using a computer to make her voice sound good and partying.

Oh, and handing rights to your music over to anyone with a bunch of cash who is only interested in selling things. Like putting your music in a car commercial. In a movie/soundtrack it makes a lot more sense, as music paired with video can be very artistic. But not when the music is placed over video of a skateboarding Fiat...

HopeRidesAlone
HopeRidesAlone
17 posts
Nomad

However, the Wikipedia states this=

[quote]There are two distinct forms of selling out in terms of music. The term 'sell out' referred to those who signed for major labels and those who licensed their music to companies for use in advertising that contradict their apparent values, and more recently it can also refer to those who sacrifice their musical integrity through a change in their musical sound, sometimes due to pressure from major labels or in order to gain profit by making their music more appealing to a mainstream audience
.[/quote]

Basically exactly what I said lol Except I didn't read this first :P I swear!
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I define a sell out as someone who doesnt care about making art anymore and only cares about making money now. So they continue to make music to make money, not because they want to be creative. Or someone who changes their music so that it makes more money or is more popular just for the money/popularity.

Of course, but then..how do we tell when a band has sold out? At what point does the line become crossed of a band pushing their artistic boundaries to them changing their ways for a heavier cash flow?
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I feel like the term "sell-out" is such a subjective and individualized term when used by the average fan. The way I see it, there's two criteria that an artist has to "meet" for a fan to consider them a sell-out: 1) the artist has changed their sound such that it is no longer enjoyable to that fan, and 2) the artist has accrued more mainstream attention. But no one really knows if a band has sold out other than its members and possibly closely affiliated persons. It's a pointless discussion, as it's just a dysphemistic way of saying, "I used to like this band but not anymore." And honestly, that's all that should matter: whether or not you enjoy the music.

HopeRidesAlone
HopeRidesAlone
17 posts
Nomad

Of course, but then..how do we tell when a band has sold out? At what point does the line become crossed of a band pushing their artistic boundaries to them changing their ways for a heavier cash flow?

We don't. We make assumptions based on how we feel about how they were, how they are now, where they're going, and how they are getting there.

It's subjective. As rayoflight said :P
Showing 1-8 of 8