ForumsGamesLooking for a cheap gaming laptop and......

20 9267
IATA
IATA
13 posts
Jester

I've been looking for a gaming laptop that can play games like Mechwarrior Online (a CryEngine 3 game) at a playable fps speed (which I define as 20 to 24 fps, any settings, at the computer's native resolution or lower). I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231083

And it looks like it might be what I need but I'm not quite sure.

I'm looking for a laptop because I don't have space for a second desktop and I can't replace/upgrade my current one. So please, DON'T tell me to get a desktop.

And to clarify, I'm not asking what computer you personally would use and I'm definitely not asking for rants about how brand X sucks.

All I want to know is if the computer in the link can do what I need it to.

• 20 Replies
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

I'm pretty sure the CPU is too weak. It's at 1.9GHz. MWO shows a minimum CPU with 2.66GHz.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Nope it can't do it

SubZero007
SubZero007
883 posts
Peasant

Word of advice: You should never use Windows 8 as a gaming os

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

You should never use Windows 8 as a gaming os
I'm doing it and I'm having a blast. Why not?

As for the OP: define "cheap".
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

The problem with gaming laptops is that they are always 200-300 dollars more than a desktop equivalent. Take my computer for instance. It is a desktop worth maybe 300 dollars with a great graphics card and good processor. Now on the other hand, my laptop was probably 500 dollars brand new but I got it used for 230.

BUt some of the best and basic laptops for gaming are going to be anywhere from 700 dollars to about 3000 dollars just depending on how good you want it.

Alienware and the Razer Blade are both good computers but they start in the thousands for price

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

I'm pretty sure the CPU is too weak. It's at 1.9GHz. MWO shows a minimum CPU with 2.66GHz.

A 2.66 dual core, sure. But the laptop processor is a quad core, so I'm fairly confident that it'll run. But probably only in low settings.

The problem with gaming laptops is that they are always 200-300 dollars more than a desktop equivalent. Take my computer for instance. It is a desktop worth maybe 300 dollars with a great graphics card and good processor. Now on the other hand, my laptop was probably 500 dollars brand new but I got it used for 230.

BUt some of the best and basic laptops for gaming are going to be anywhere from 700 dollars to about 3000 dollars just depending on how good you want it.

Alienware and the Razer Blade are both good computers but they start in the thousands for price

This is literally the kind of post the OP didn't ask for.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

A 2.66 dual core, sure. But the laptop processor is a quad core, so I'm fairly confident that it'll run.

I wouldn't be, it doesn't work like that. The game would have to be specifically optimized for quad core, and even then it'd be hard to say. Given its 4 years newer than the minimum it might work, but its got nothing on an i3-2500 which is the recommended one.

As for the rest of the computer, I think the integrated graphics is enough to run on low settings. However I would agree that windows 8 could be a problem, theres a reason it isn't being adopted like 7 was and still is. Overall I'd say its questionable that laptop would run the game, as far as I can tell its right on the edge of the minimum requirements.

No, just no. Neither is well built or even close to worth the money.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

I wouldn't be, it doesn't work like that. The game would have to be specifically optimized for quad core, and even then it'd be hard to say. Given its 4 years newer than the minimum it might work, but its got nothing on an i3-2500 which is the recommended one.

The point was that dismissing the processor simply based on clock speed alone and not paying attention to cores period isn't how things work either.

Still, I agree that if it runs, it'll be only on fairly low settings.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

The point was that dismissing the processor simply based on clock speed alone and not paying attention to cores period isn't how things work either

Clock speed is basically all that matters. My Desktop versus my Laptop with 4 cores, My Desktop always wins with processing. The Desktop is 3.0 ghz and the laptop is 2.5. Clock speed does matter
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Clock speed is basically all that matters. My Desktop versus my Laptop with 4 cores, My Desktop always wins with processing. The Desktop is 3.0 ghz and the laptop is 2.5. Clock speed does matter

Only in processors from the same generation and same architecture. For instance the minimum processor for the game is 5 years older than the one in the laptop linked, thats long enough to be significant, but its hard to tell how much. Clock speed is great if you are deciding between two versions of the same processor, but in this case we have two manufacturers, different number of cores, and time between them. Yes the clock speed tells us something, but in this case it doesn't tell us that it will or will not work. The other thing here is desktop vs laptop, the requirements are old desktop processors which means they are more powerful, but laptop processors have improved in the last 5 years. Your example is a good example of that, in all but a desktop replacement laptop(do they even exist anymore?), if they have the same generation processor the desktop will probably win, regardless of clock speed. If the desktop is several years older and the processors are roughly the same level, the laptop would probably win.
JavedJahangir
JavedJahangir
30 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic post. My post might not be worthy of a full thread so I have a question: Is the computer I'm buying good enough for these games?

Some specs:
8 GB Memory
AMD A8-5600k 3.6 GHz
1GB GeForce GTX 650
Windows 7

Not sure if I should post more specs or what, but here are some of the games I want to play with it:

Europa Universalis 4
Victoria 2
Minecraft
Far Cry 3

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

Some specs:
8 GB Memory
AMD A8-5600k 3.6 GHz
1GB GeForce GTX 650
Windows 7

Not sure if I should post more specs or what, but here are some of the games I want to play with it:

Europa Universalis 4
Victoria 2
Minecraft
Far Cry 3

That's a pretty weak video card for Far Cry 3. Other than that you should be running fine.
JavedJahangir
JavedJahangir
30 posts
Nomad

What kind of video card should I get for Far Cry 3?

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

I'm pretty sure GeForce GTX 660s start at 1.5gb of GDDR5 memory. This should be enough for Far Cry 3. In fact, here's a video of somebody using a 660 and similar specs to yours running Far Cry 3 on max settings.

Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Unless you absolutely have to run Far Cry 3 on max, the 650 should be fine.

Showing 1-15 of 20