ForumsGamesLooking for a cheap gaming laptop and......

20 9263
IATA
IATA
13 posts
Jester

I've been looking for a gaming laptop that can play games like Mechwarrior Online (a CryEngine 3 game) at a playable fps speed (which I define as 20 to 24 fps, any settings, at the computer's native resolution or lower). I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231083

And it looks like it might be what I need but I'm not quite sure.

I'm looking for a laptop because I don't have space for a second desktop and I can't replace/upgrade my current one. So please, DON'T tell me to get a desktop.

And to clarify, I'm not asking what computer you personally would use and I'm definitely not asking for rants about how brand X sucks.

All I want to know is if the computer in the link can do what I need it to.

• 20 Replies
JavedJahangir
JavedJahangir
30 posts
Nomad

Well that's nice to know.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,764 posts
Chamberlain

Some specs:
8 GB Memory
AMD A8-5600k 3.6 GHz
1GB GeForce GTX 650
Windows 7

Not sure if I should post more specs or what, but here are some of the games I want to play with it:

Europa Universalis 4
Victoria 2
Minecraft
Far Cry 3

*jealous snivels* You should be just fine, I have a slightly weaker card and I've had no problems with running games (though sometimes at lower settings) except with Arma 2, and that game's just a turd when it comes to how much GPU power it needs.
Minecraft

You really need to ask?

As for your (both of you) processor I haven't a clue, AMD processors aren't as easy to tell performance as Intel's are, with Intel processors you can tell by the GHz and cores but I once found a ~$200 3.5 GHz octocore AMD and I looked it up and it was only about as good as my 2.8 GHz quadcore Intel processor.
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

I hate to tell you man, but a gaming laptop isn't cheap. Especially if you are looking for one to run that type of game. Desktop is always going to win out. Plus it will be cheaper.

The tech just isn't there for cheap, viable, gaming laptops. Note, I said cheap.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

There's some gaming laptops that aren't insanely expensive. If you're willing to throw battery life out the window, and maybe build quality.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Most stuff that products that are called 'gaming' are generally very average at playing games and cost a lot just because they claim to be 'gaming' for a gaming laptop just look for one with a decent cpu (for laptops intel is the way to go) and dedicated graphics then just check the graphics on here and ctr + f then search for it and check out how well it performs don't just go searching for gaming laptops as they are generally way overpriced.

Showing 16-20 of 20