ForumsWEPRNFl in Canada is it right?

8 2320
th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

Please do not say this doesn't belong in this section, because I believe it does. This is not only a sprts discussion, it is a debate, and a political one at that.

With the failing of NFL Europe, it is expected that the NFL will move north of the border. In approximately 5 years, it is believed the NFL will move the Buffalo Bills franchise to Toronto Canada, as that is why they are playing a series of eight games over five years in the city. And there are many reasons why this is both wrong, and idiotic.

The movement of the NFL too Canada would likely cripple the icon of Canadian heritage and identity, the CFL. The reasont hat this is different from one league making its mov eon another, is because the CFL is not just another league of the same sport, it is a different sport. It has 3 downs, the field is larger, there is another way to score a point, overtime is different, and teams compete for playoff points, similair to hockey.

The CFL's move to Toronto would cripple the sport as Toronto is mostly considered, by other Canadians, as a city that does not care about the rest of the country, as it has in its vicinity, roughly 50% of the population.

Canadian Senator Larry Campbell, being the saint that he is, has drafted a bill to ban the NFL from having a frnachise in Canada, wich would save the CFL.

link -

Personally, it is obvious that I believe the NFL coming to Canada is wrong, and I am hoping that some other Canadians will back me up. Even though I know most people here are American. Is it right for one sport to expand, even if it effectively kills another sport?

Pleeeaaase tell me this belongs here.

• 8 Replies
th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

Some points to consider:

Would this contradict NAFTA?
If the NFL was to move north, should it be allowed only in partnership with the CFL?

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

This is the MOST annoying thing ever. This has been going on for month, and when I finally decide to post it, they have decided that Toronto will NOT be getting the Buffalo Bills Franchise.

I am hoping it is thanks to Senator Larry Campbell and the opposition that built throughout the rest of Canada.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Okey I see what you mean,

And I am 50-50 on this! But I really like your "If the NFL was to move north, should it be allowed only in partnership with the CFL?" I mean I belive that if it did get moved down the border, (really to me it's more like up hear!) it Should be in some sort of partnership with the CFL, but then again if it is, there might be problems such as rules, and what not???

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

Yes, I believe it would be a very complicated thing, and is also very unlikely. The CFL and NFL have two widely different games, so I believe it wouldnt happen. CFL is more defensive and passing, while the NFL has more offense and running. (In my opinion) And then there is the 5 main differences i stated earlier (In my opinion)

It is sad because I finally bring up this point and theen the Buffalo Biils say, It's not happening.

I believe the most itneresting thing would be if the bill was passed, I believe it would've contraticted the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Zerlock1124
Zerlock1124
93 posts
Nomad

I think it's fine. The NHL goes into Canada, why not the NFL? Don't you ever notice that the most popular sports in America very rarely make it to other countries (besides basketball)? We have American Football and baseball, while they have Cricket, Soccer, and Rugby.

I think it's good that we're expanding our borders.

th3pr3tz3l
th3pr3tz3l
189 posts
Nomad

The NHl is in Canada + America because when it was created, it started with teams in both countries. (Although alot of people think Americans don't deserve hockey because they aren't as insane about it as us.

And the reason the NFL coming to Canada would can be considered bad is it would cripple the CFL. And the reason this might not be considered a plain business move to get rid of the CFL, is because the NFL + CFL play vastly different sports. Think of it as though the CFL played, football and the NFl played fautbull. And one sport moved in and eliminated another.

And the reaosn the NFL could make it in Canada is because the CFL + NFL have similarities, and there are already some NFL fans in Canada.

Expansion of borders might be good, if you speak as though we should move beyond them in a globalization sense. But if it involves the likely possibility of destruction culture + history?

MrNiceGuy
MrNiceGuy
73 posts
Nomad

Ya got me thinking about this... I don't know wether to agree or disagree.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Interesting topic. I am also split on this one.

I like the fact that American sports are expanding. I mean it makes for more fun in competition. However, bringing in a foreign type that could destroy a domestic type is bad. It would be like cricket coming to American and destroying America's past time.

Showing 1-8 of 8