ForumsPopular MediaOld russian song.

6 6015
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

I found that old russian/hebrew-communist song in an app on my phone (I cant make it into a mp3, only hear it on that app).

The song is in hebrew, and tell about a budyoni cavalery squad. Ive tried to find its origins but no wher to be foumd, plus the fact that i dont understand russian so im basing my search on the music (which can be changed and surely did).

Ill tty to translate it, so thats how its goes:

On the shores of the dienfere, horses gallope
And in a rush they run, they run,
Cossack cavaleries, from budyoni regiments,
Gallope to to the battle,
Hey, hey hey, hey...
Cossack cavalery, gallope to the battle

In battles wirh no stops, by a sword and a gun,
On the fashist they strike, they strike
Cossack cavalery, from budyoni regiments,
The indruders they hit.

I know its not quite 'opular media' but i will be glad for your help.

• 6 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Can you come up with an alternative (English) spelling for this "budyoni"? What people are meant, can you just describe it?

Could this "dienfere" be the Dnieper River, by any chance?

Is the song in Hebrew, or rather in Yiddish? If the latter, can you make out in what variant?

It being an anti-fascist song, and in Hebrew or possibly Yiddish then, it would of course strike one as a partisan song; or of course, hailing from the greater Russian fight against Nazi Germany and/or the White Russians. I'm not sure about the latter's connection to mention of Cossack regiments, though; I thought the treatment of Jews even under the Soviets remained ambiguous at best, so I'm not sure about their conscription in such ranks. I simply don't know that, though.

Ah, look, this would seem to clarify the matter, and so if so that would seem to be very possible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Cossacks#Civil_War_in_Russia .

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Semyon Budyonny

Yea, its the dnieper river. Sorry for the mispelling.

Its in hebrew and it was used in the youth organizzation associate with the left wingers.

Yea, its quite funny as the Cossacks helped the Germans and allied with them in WW2, and were known anti-semetis and antu-russians.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Yea, its quite funny as the Cossacks helped the Germans and allied with them in WW2, and were known anti-semetis and antu-russians.

No, if you just follow those links, you'll see there were Red as well as White Cossacks (so allied with the Bolsheviks, or with the anti-Communist White movement, respectively); your own link describes this Budyonny as a Red Cossack. I don't know about that URL btw, you may find this full W'edia entry interesting, that it looks to be taken from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semyon_Budyonny . There would appear to be an entry in Hebrew, as well.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budyonny_Cavalry , and dig around some more, follow cross-links and sources, search the web, etc. I'll be looking into this some more, or you may do so yourself, I suspect we may easily find your song. Although first swift finds seem to lead to this song the "Budyonny March," indeed (easily found on YouTube, as well -- see how it compares to your song), which however appears to date to the 1920's, when the Russian Civil War was in full swing, but there was no Nazi Germany (the mention of Fascism) in sight yet. Like you say though, the song may well have been adapted later to circumstance.

I guess its general context we now have the clearer picture of, in any case
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Ive found a link to the song in youtube (it wasent there last time i checked).

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

OK, that would seem to bring us sort-of full circle. Except for I don't readily find a way to pinpoint this specific song, or its title or text in other languages. Someone who knows both Russian and Hebrew might. There appear to be quite a few songs on the subject.

Any questions you're left with? I do by now find that there's a horse breed named after the good man, the (you guessed it) Budyonny horse. So give or take a variant here or there, it would all seem to pretty much fall into place.

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Now im only ciurios of this song is in russian in the origin if its or if it is a completly original hebrew one.

Showing 1-6 of 6