Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Dear Community

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 12:05pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

Dear aknerd,

Very carefully. Start by sincerely saying a bunch of positive things that they did. Make them feel good before you slap them in the face. Don't just say that they messed up, but give examples of how to improve.

-Emp

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 12:21pm

Erabor

Erabor

75 posts

Dear Community,
I am a cross country runner for a high school team. Last year, all of the seniors graduated, therefore shoving the role of leadership onto the new varsity team (including me). How does one be a good leader to his friends, and total strangers? A new load of freshman students are coming onto the team, and I want to make them have a good time, but also get some work done so that we can go to the State Meet this year.
Any tips?
Sincerely,
Erabor

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 12:36pm

danielo

danielo

1,396 posts

Dear erabor "roadrunner"

Leadership mean Enterprise and being under control.

If you want things run, the best way is to make the group unit -
Ill advice a Barbeque or something everg once and a while. Let them unit. When you are the head (or the seniors in general). Let them understand then when you say "we practice at 8:00" they better be there.
But again, dont try to bribe them or order them. Let it come from them. A reward- sure. But not a "if you will come we will go to the pool next time!".

Also, find the more serious of the juniors and make him a "luitenet". He will tell the others on times of practice and stuff. This way you will have there soppurt.

And remmember - they are new. They are a little emmbaraced and worried, even if they dont show it. You will be there elder brother for a huge part of this period. Help them and let then think you are one. Help them with there troubles (bit dont get too much insolved), give tips and so on.

Im sure you can do it.

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 12:38pm

danielo

danielo

1,396 posts

Aknerd, can you pleasd open a new thread on your problme? We quite flood this thread...

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 1:12pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Dear Erabor,

I would recommend you just do what you're supposed to do and others will follow. I would assume your coach knows what he's doing, so you should leave the leading to him or her. If someone's doing something wrong, show them how to do it right. If someone needs help, help them. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.

-Sal

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 5:33pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

Dear Erabor,

Do what Sal said. Do your best and be a good example. If you can, set up some extra meetings or a chatroom or something to get to know the team better. Connect with them and share your experiences.

-Emp

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 7:23pm

Erabor

Erabor

75 posts

If you want things run, the best way is to make the group unit -
Ill advice a Barbeque or something everg once and a while. Let them unit. When you are the head (or the seniors in general). Let them understand then when you say "we practice at 8:00" they better be there.
But again, dont try to bribe them or order them. Let it come from them. A reward- sure. But not a "if you will come we will go to the pool next time!".
Also, find the more serious of the juniors and make him a "luitenet". He will tell the others on times of practice and stuff. This way you will have there soppurt.
And remmember - they are new. They are a little emmbaraced and worried, even if they dont show it. You will be there elder brother for a huge part of this period. Help them and let then think you are one. Help them with there troubles (bit dont get too much insolved), give tips and so on.
Im sure you can do it.

I would recommend you just do what you're supposed to do and others will follow. I would assume your coach knows what he's doing, so you should leave the leading to him or her. If someone's doing something wrong, show them how to do it right. If someone needs help, help them. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.

Do what Sal said. Do your best and be a good example. If you can, set up some extra meetings or a chatroom or something to get to know the team better. Connect with them and share your experiences.

Dear Emp and Sal and Danielo,
Thanks for the advice, I will use it. I don't think I ever introduced myself, so, hello! I am Erabor, the high school, retrogaming, roleplaying, piano-playing runner from the mitten! (Michigan if you didn't catch that) Have a good day!
-Erabor

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 9:10pm

Riptizoid101

Riptizoid101

3,385 posts

Dear Erabor,

And a good day to you, too! =)

Signed,
Riptizoid101

----

Dear Community,

Short and sweet, I'm lazy.

I'm a procrastinator by heart, and I always will be. My problem is that I actually need to do some work but I always manage to push it to the next day.

I need to get out of the habit of this period of laziness. Also, it's not that I don't have any energy, because when something interests me, I can immediately get up to do it. I suppose it's a psychological thing.

Anyways, how can I cure this laziness/and or get rid of it?

Sincerely,
Riptizoid101

Posted Aug 6, '13 at 12:07am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

Dear Erabor,

Assert yourself as Alpha Male. Too many times have I seen someone that could be a good leader squander the opportunity because he wanted to be friendly..and this all resulted in mass chaos over dominance order..with some of the Frosh thinking they were running the show. Horrible times. Horrible times indeed.

Sincerely,
Ja Skiden

-----

Dear Let it Rip,

Force yourself to do the work. Set reminders on your phone..multiple reminders..write down what you have to do in a planner to keep it in your head...the moment you get home start doing the work. Ignore the computer and just begin working.

The only one that can really help..in the grand scheme of this..is yourself. You need to push yourself over the hump..and get the ball rolling yourself.

Sincerely,
pangtonghu

Posted Aug 6, '13 at 2:42am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

Dear Rip,

Just restrict yourself from stuff until you've finished something. Like "no food or water or sleep until it's done, even though it's not due for a month". Or be your own slave-driver and physically injure yourself whenever you're not doing work. Either you'll become a hard worker, or a masochist. I guess there's a benefit either way.

-Emp

Reply to Dear Community

You must be logged in to post a reply!