ForumsGamesI Can't Stand Cursed Treasure 2

51 37928
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Quests, I enjoy collecting quests. I hope to soon have them all and I do feel obligated to play the games that have quests and collect the those quests. I enjoy getting quests about 91% of the time, about 8% of the time It becomes frustrating, and 2% of the time it's an absolutely wretched, abysmal chore (I based this off of real numbers).

What makes up that 2% of the time, Cursed Treasure 2. Now let me at least say this, Cursed Treasure 2 isn't that bad of a game, if and only if you don't strive to get three stars on every level (night and day). The game is probably an 8, but does suffer from a few bugs, far too long waves, and repetitive gameplay. However, those problems aren't too bad, if you are not trying to be perfect on every level.

But, I'm going for the quests. I have to be 100% perfect. Well there's absolutely nothing more frustrating than grinding through, ridiculously long waves only to have some enemy just barely, just so barely touch a gem and then die. I will be playing a level for 10 to 20 minutes and then a gem gets touched and I have to restart. Then, when you finally beat a level after 1 to 2 hours (of completely repetitive, no strategy boredom where luck decided the conclusion of the level) you have to play the same exact level again at night.

Night levels... Night levels end up being no different than the day levels at the later stages. The whole map ends up covered in towers so you build in all the same place you would in a day level. The only difference is that you can't build in all the same beginning locations. So, I have to repeat the process of watching (what seems like) endless waves enter the field, die nearly instantly, but some enemy will get close to the gems (somehow) touch them, and ruin the three star rating.

The game loses all strategy as you just end up putting towers everywhere (and yes that happens all the time in the later stages), and you then watch as almost every enemy dies instantly, thus making the last 15 waves or so absolutely boring and pointless. When you fail you think there is a strategy you can use. Barely, it usually boils down to hoping enough mana containers drop so you can use a spell on the tough enemy that is getting to close to the gems. Almost all luck.

I spent so much time, ripping my hair out, getting the quests the first time. I rejoiced when I finished, making a promise to myself never to play this wretched game again, but no, a level expansion was released and it was worse than the entirety of all the original game. They introduced Amazon enemies. These horrible enemies release a charm when they lose their armour, locking all the towers within the blast (this stops your towers from attacking). By the way, the charms blast radius is phenomenal and the game loves to send in five or more Amazonians at a time. Just sit back and watch as all your towers become locked. Now you can use the Terror spell to remove the charms, but you will never have enough mana to dispel the effect and have it be useful. Dispel the effect from your towers and another Amazonian will soon lose it's armour and lock your towers again. You can't win.

I beat those levels though and I was so happy. I thought, "I will never have to play this abysmal piece of a game ever again." I happy at the thought of not having to play such a wretched contrivance every again. But no, they released more levels and they're practically just as bad.

I can't stand Cursed Treasure 2.

Here are some comments, from only the first three pages, of other users who also had similar complaints.

Calidron says:
Nice to see that the new levels are just as based on luck and random chance as all the others. I think I'll pass on this game from now on. The devs have suddenly gotten into artificial difficulty and a lot less into actual strategy.

TheOnlyOutsider says:
I am at lvl 18... and lost nearly 1000 times. Only won once with 1 gem left. And thine one time it was only luck that i got a potion a call a meteor.
It is impossible for me and that doesn't make fun..

tomntm says:
Please add more skills in the skills menu. The last levels, especially the 3rd one on the Pirate Land is difficult.

velocio says:
New levels boring

BojanSimoski says:
The new lvls are sooooo boring

scole86 says:
New levels are okay... Just not fond of situations where you're at the mercy of sheer luck more than anything.

Saulon says:
The new levels requires too much luck to find the correct combination of mana/coins... Not to mention the last level which disappoints me a lot because of the new ship bombing combination: that is another game! Quite bad...

c00per says:
Oh boy... It was hard enough for me to get 18 stars on levels 16-17-18, but these new levels are killing me... Anyway, thanks for new levels and reduced graphics.

jackel402 says:
The new levels are SO hard

coolmanjolly6 says:
[Ugh,] stage 18 is so hard to get 3 stars!!!!!!!!

enanon says:
It wouldn't be difficult to get three stars in the three new lvls., if it weren't for the lags during the critical moments when u want to cast spells and got delayed just because of those, resulting in your gems being touched.....frustrating

TheEvidence says:
Level 20 really seems to depend too much on getting lucky.

varanusniloticus says:
Wow, the pirate bay is INSANE. I could only get one star :O

scarstar says:
Level 18 is way too difficult. I give up.

• 51 Replies
zzxxzz3
zzxxzz3
72 posts
Jester

Update: I FINALLY got Brilliant on Day for level 20. Didn't get great drops either, just got lucky. I think I found a strategy that maximizes your chances.

1. Take bottom lighthouse ASAP. It's important to take the top one first.
2. Take TOP stone, placing a crypt as soon as possible. This is very important, as the crypt will really help vs. the divers and smugglers that come from the top.
3. Cut the tree nearby and build 2 dens when you can.
4. Bottom lighthouse
5. Save mana for the diver wave + the smuggler that follows.
6. Top ship first. Again, the order matters.
7. Take the bottom stone and build a temple, cutting the tree to build a den as well. You've basically won if you've made it this far.
8. Bottom ship.
9. Win.

TheEvidence
TheEvidence
9 posts
Farmer

Update: I FINALLY got Brilliant on Day for level 20.

Congrats on sticking it out.

Most people simply don't understand what a real strategy game should be about.

The fact your best (competitive) strategy game example is 100% skill, 0% luck implies a great deal about your opinions the roles those factors should play.

Is it safe to say you feel strategy games should be constructed such that good strategy will overcome bad luck?
EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

Luck have nothing to do with anything. Luck doesn't even exist, it is a ridiculous concept created by men who didn't want to bother defining something which really exist.

Then mathematics happened. And with them the law of the average and the statistics as well as later on probabilities, etc.

A real strategy game make you think about what you need to do before you do it. If you can't pause a game to think about it then it is not a strategy game but an action game. Most modern RTSes are like that, very sadly...

TheEvidence
TheEvidence
9 posts
Farmer

luck
/lÉk/
Noun
Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.

In order for this not to exist, either chance must not exist, or success/failure must not exist. If you think it doesn't exist, then you're using the wrong definition.

Chance here, of course, does not exist in a pure sense, but is approximated through the use of a pseudo-random number generator in the game.

So I ask again:

Is it safe to say you feel strategy games should be constructed such that good strategy will overcome bad luck?
EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

Read my previous post again, you obviously didn't understand it.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Read my previous post again, you obviously didn't understand it.

The game is a "strategy" game that is not relying on strategy but rather the probability of item drops occurring. That probability is brought on by a random number generator, pseudorandom number generator, or some other algorithm. Probabilistic occurrences of item drops are not strategy.

The game takes the control out of the users hands and puts it into the computers. Here's an example:

Let's say I change the rules of chess. I change them so that every time a player moves a piece they must flip a coin. If that coin lands on heads the player can keep the piece, they just moved, in play. If the coin lands on tails the player must remove the piece, they just moved, from play. The player decides were to move their pieces. The player is in control there. The player does not decided how the coin will land. The player is not in control there. Adding coin flips, in such a manner, to chess takes strategy away from the game and introduces probabilistic events or luck to the game.
No matter how well I positions my pieces, plan my opening, mid-game, and end game, no matter how many moves I look ahead on the board I am at the mercy of a coin flip on every turn. Cursed Treasure 2 is like Chess with coin flips.

I have to agree with TheEvidence on this one.
TheEvidence
TheEvidence
9 posts
Farmer

I should re-emphasize that I only really feel constrained by the RNG in level 20. In most of the other levels obtaining a brilliant rating isn't as tightly coupled to getting enough mana/crits/insta-kills.

I don't mind some randomness as long as there are avenues for the player to respond. What I'm not interested in is playing a slot machine!

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

The game takes the control out of the users hands and puts it into the computers. Here's an example:

Better get used to this because 99% of all the games out there are like that.

Heck, it's even the point of playing on a computer to allow the computer to do all the tedious work. Is it better? No. Is it required? Yes.

Also you obviously didn't understand what I meant by the fact that luck don't exist. Yes, there is probabilities. That don't equate luck.

Basically you guys are griping on the fact that the developers made the new levels challenging. If you don't like challenging then it's your call... But please stop accusing the game of doing things it is not supposed to do.

None of you actually thought that perhaps you have so much problems simply because your level is too low? O_o
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

None of you actually thought that perhaps you have so much problems simply because your level is too low? O_o

Words can have more than one definition. When we were using the term luck we were referring to probabilistic occurrences. You seem to be having a hard time understanding that we were not referring to luck as superstition or unknown fortune.

As I tried to thoroughly explain in my previous post, we are all referring to luck, in Cursed Treasure 2, as an introduced probabilistic occurrence as by design from the game developers. (The game developers are taking the control out of the players hands).

Heck, it's even the point of playing on a computer to allow the computer to do all the tedious work. Is it better? No. Is it required? Yes.

You are right. All video/computer games rely on the computer and it the games code. The code is basically the set of rules for the game. The problem is this:
In level 20 I choose where to put the towers.
I choose what towers to build and where (with some limiting factors).
I choose which towers to upgrade (when experience for the tower is reached).
I choose which lighthouse, tree, or ship to cast my cut out spell on and when (provided I have enough mana).
I choose which enemies to cast my terror or meteorite spell on and when (provided I have enough mana.
I have no choice in deciding when mana potions will drop from enemies (and I have upgraded all my abilities to maximum).

So all the the strategic planning in the world on my part can be foiled by a simple mana potion not dropping. It ruins the experience. In Chess I can plan a great strategy, but my opponent can ruin my strategy, but I can change my strategy and come out ahead. No matter what, in Chess , its up to me to move the pieces correctly their is no random event taking away from a well thought out plan.

Level 20 is basically like a War General planning an attack on an enemy. The General prepares the best troops for battle, learns all he can about war and combat, makes a strategic plan of attack, but then has his army wiped out by a falling meteor. The meteor is like the potion drops, it ruins all the planning you do before hand and sucks out the fun.

Lastly, most the people who are complaining happen to have the quest for obtaining brilliant on the last three levels. As of right now you don't. it's funny how the people who actually tried and did get the medal are angry at the game, while the people who have no clue how to get the medal (and don't understand the anguish that accompanies it) blindly defend the game.

---------------------------------

On a side note I would reccomnd that anyone who posted a strategy, for getting a brillian,t here also post it in the Quest Thread for Cursed Treasure 2 Here (if you haven't done so already:

http://armorgames.com/community/thread/11325726/cursed-treasure-2-quests
TheEvidence
TheEvidence
9 posts
Farmer

Also you obviously didn't understand what I meant by the fact that luck don't exist. Yes, there is probabilities. That don't equate luck.

This was wrong the first time you said it and it's still wrong now. I showed you exactly how this was incorrect. You're either reject standard word definitions or refusing to admit you were wrong about something.

This doesn't exactly make a compelling case for responding to anything else you have to say.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

quest for obtaining brilliant on the last three levels.

Pretty sure you don't actually need brilliant on the last three levels to earn the quest. You just need a minimum of two brilliants and 8 additional stars for a total of 14, not the 18 for all brilliant. It's entirely possible to not complete brilliant on level 20 and not do night mode for level 20 at all and still earn the achievement, but you need brilliant for day/night on level 21, which is tedious. It's just easier to get brilliant day/night 19 and two star day/night 20 and 21.
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Pretty sure you don't actually need brilliant on the last three levels to earn the quest. You just need a minimum of two brilliants and 8 additional stars for a total of 14, not the 18 for all brilliant. It's entirely possible to not complete brilliant on level 20 and not do night mode for level 20 at all and still earn the achievement, but you need brilliant for day/night on level 21, which is tedious. It's just easier to get brilliant day/night 19 and two star day/night 20 and 21.

Lol, wow, my math is bad and I should feel bad. This whole time I assumed this quest followed suit with the others that required brilliant. I guess that shaves quite a few points of the difficult level for the quest there. *bows to audience and says* "Exit stage left."
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Actually, wow half the reason the game had me so frustrated was because of the brilliant quests. Seeing that that last quest didn't require brilliant knocks the wind out of my sails. I mean I still feel the game should fix the issues it has (especially the memory leak that causes lag), but knowing that quest isn't as hard leaves me half as upset. *goes to corner, eats half of a crow*.

wottfox
wottfox
1 posts
Peasant

I found this old thread googling my frustration at brilliants for level 20. Interesting that this exact issue has been around for such a long time. I'm a bit of a completionist, and I've maxed out my level, finished the entire tech tree, the only two 'badges' left are the ones which require brilliants in the final three levels.
I'm going to persevere obviously, but the leap from relying on strategy to relying on mana-pot drops is glaringly obvious. Guess a good game isn't TRULY good until you've replayed the same level more than 20 times and flipped some tables. XD

mfp123
mfp123
2 posts
Nomad

I had exactly the same issue initially where I though it was impossible to do no matter what combination I used. I then went to completing some of the other level on brilliant and some on the night mode on brilliant.

After getting lots of upgrades I went back to this level and it was easy peasy.

Thats the key - you need to be by and large fully loaded on upgrades. Once youre loaded up your towers will kill off everything much quicker. The scubas sometime will still get close on a couple of occasions but a quick fear sorts them out.

As an example the fully loaded cut out upgrade drops the cost from 70 to 47 per cut to take down the lighthouses quite quickly and the fire tower upgrade that has a 40% probability of burning the enemy, makes a big difference.

The range on the towers has also increased as well, not sure what upgrade caused this though.

If youre not loaded up on upgrades its impossible, when you are loaded up its easy. Nothing to do with luck.

Showing 31-45 of 51