Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Old Saying and Idioms That Make No Sense Literally

Posted Aug 1, '13 at 11:31pm

blk2860

blk2860

4,214 posts

Okay, basically, these are phrases that make absolutely no sense. I'll start with three.

1. "Have your cake and eat it too." This basically builds on the premise that it's normally the opposite. How can you eat a cake you don't even have? And why would you have a cake you couldn't eat? This isn't Portal.

2. "Get up on the wrong side of the bed." What if your bed is against a wall? What about then? I suppose in the case of a bunk bed this might make sense.

3. "Let the Cat Out of the Bag." Right off the bat, you're likely wondering "What kinda sicko puts cats in bags?" That's a good question. If you're intending not to, then you clearly have a good reason to keep it secret! Seriously, whoever made that one... clearly has some problems.

-Spirit

Posted Aug 1, '13 at 11:37pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,268 posts

YOLO, because Time Lords like me can regenerate 12 times.

In a bad mood, what makes a mood bad, how can you define it as such? If you mean you are angry, or disinterested, why not say so?

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Aug 2, '13 at 12:22am

Reton8

Reton8

2,661 posts

(According to wiktionary)One of my favorite idioms is this one from Chile and Rio de la Plata:

Durar menos que un pedo en un canasto.
Which translates to:
It will last for less than a fart in a basket.
and means:
It won't last long.

Posted Aug 2, '13 at 12:48am

SSTG

SSTG

11,111 posts

Knight

When someone says "I can't wrap my head around it".
Of course he can't because if he did, hell be dead or he's amazingly flexible. xD

Posted Aug 5, '13 at 12:32pm

MagicTree

MagicTree

360 posts

A watched pot never boils;

Yes it does!
If it didn't we wouldn't be able to look at cooking Ramen and imagine justin Timberlake's old hairdo.

Posted Aug 12, '13 at 6:54pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

4,219 posts

"It's raining cats and dogs." Obviously this couldn't really happen, as cats and dogs are solid carbon-based objects, and could not be evaporated by the sun's rays. Even then, once evaporated, they would no longer hold their form as cats and dogs, but rather rain down as the liquid form of what was left of these creatures, after condensing from their gas form. But that would be impossible in our atmosphere, as the land temperature would have to reach over 3600 degrees Celsius (a little over 6500 Fahrenheit) in order for a carbon-based life form to completely sublimate, and there is no life on our planet that could survive temperatures anywhere near that high, and therefore no cats or dogs would exist on a planet with such extreme temperatures. Thus, the very idea of raining cats and dogs is scientifically impossible.

2. "Get up on the wrong side of the bed." What if your bed is against a wall?

Would you be in a good mood if you got up and faceplanted into a wall?

Posted Aug 12, '13 at 8:12pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,259 posts

Knight

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

How the hell is one supposed to understand this? And who thought of this? One saying I do not like. There are a lot I don't like but for now this is the only one I can think of.

Posted Aug 12, '13 at 8:18pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,268 posts

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

How the hell is one supposed to understand this? And who thought of this? One saying I do not like. There are a lot I don't like but for now this is the only one I can think of.

Most horse diseases show symptoms around this area (the major ones).

So by looking it in the mouth you are implying that the giver didn't give the best he could.

Would you be in a good mood if you got up and faceplanted into a wall?

For my bed I would be stuck between the bed and the wall, there is that perfect amount of space.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Aug 13, '13 at 8:08pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

3,663 posts

'Oh, that's no skin off my nose.'
I know it means 'No problem' or something, but where did that even come from? It's not like anyone is asking "Can I have some of your nose skin?'. I'm friends with a lot of weird people and nobody has ever said that at all, except for me when I'm debating the point of this idiom thing. So, what, is there a condition in which people are asking certain things and it requires you to peel some skin off your nose?

'You're all pushing the envelope."
So, by not agreeing with you, I'm pushing an envelope? What, am I pushing it up your nose or in any of your facial orifices or something? 'Oh, I'm just going to disagree by pushing some paper at you."

'I've got a bone to pick with [fill in the blank].'
So, you and this random Joe were picking a bone. Were you stripping it of flesh or something and then one of you had to leave? And now you want to argue/rant at them because...of what? I don't get it.
All courtesy of my fifth grade teacher, of course.

Posted Aug 14, '13 at 5:06pm

GandalftheGrey666

GandalftheGrey666

1,791 posts

"The straw that broke the camel's back."
First of all... how can a straw break a camel's back? This they somehow put 10 tons in a small straw. Second, where the hell can you find a straw in a dessert? Third, the straw would fall off the camel's back, because the camel is constantly moving and if a dessert storm happens, the straw wold fly away.

Reply to Old Saying and Idioms That Make No Sense Literally

You must be logged in to post a reply!