Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Old Saying and Idioms That Make No Sense Literally

Posted Aug 17, '13 at 5:11pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

I never got White Elephant gift exchanges - they're obviously based on the idiom of the White Elephant, but it doesn't seem to actually have any relevance with it. I mean, I guess I could understand it if the people participating actually gave useful gifts, but 91% of the gifts in the gift exchange I have participated in were worthless.

I guess it would make sense if they were worthless -_-

cheap, no worth, taking nothing but space *

Posted Aug 20, '13 at 5:51am

ironblade41

ironblade41

523 posts

Paying through the nose confuses me. Yeargh.

Posted Aug 20, '13 at 9:45am

danielo

danielo

1,365 posts

The white elephant thing is quite simple actualy.

White elepahnts are cool, but useless. You wont use it for labour, you wont eat it or i dont know what else. Its just a useless gift which is given as a plane gift, not anything else. Its like giving china sets or butt scracher or a funny but wierd shiert. Its a pure gift.

Its come from the gifts Noble gave each other just to impress each other. Nothing that can be used, just to show how the giver is rich and clevar, like pet tigers or jewlery.

Posted Aug 21, '13 at 6:49pm

eunoic

eunoic

51 posts

Head over heels.

Shouldn't it be "Heels over Head" since my head is usually above my heels anyway?

Posted Aug 21, '13 at 9:35pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Its come from the gifts Noble gave each other just to impress each other. Nothing that can be used, just to show how the giver is rich and clevar, like pet tigers or jewlery.

Pet tigers and jewelry are expensive.

Red Apple Orchard Festival Suspenders are not expensive, which is why I question the idiom of the exchange.

Posted Aug 24, '13 at 12:44am

ImTheMostManlyMan

ImTheMostManlyMan

2,809 posts

I could care less.

That implies that you do, in fact care and therefor does not accurately convey your feelings of neutrality on the subject.

Posted Aug 24, '13 at 7:34pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,230 posts

I could care less.

That's actually just people saying it incorrectly. The real phrase is "I couldn't care less".

Posted Aug 25, '13 at 9:25pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

2,799 posts

'Paying an arm and a leg'.
This one makes sense, almost, but I'm just mentioning it because I think it'we weird. "I WANT A _____! I'LL CUT OFF MY LIMBS AND SELL THEM ON THE BLACK MARKET TO RAISE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY ONE!"

Posted Aug 26, '13 at 10:27pm

DidactUnbound

DidactUnbound

363 posts

I'll go with...anything and everything that Storm says.

Posted Aug 27, '13 at 4:47am

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,858 posts

White elepahnts are cool, but useless. You wont use it for labour, you wont eat it or i dont know what else. Its just a useless gift which is given as a plane gift, not anything else. Its like giving china sets or butt scracher or a funny but wierd shiert. Its a pure gift.

Alexander attacked India, Raja poross of jhelum had elephants, his persoal one was white and leading the charge, Greeks targeted it, it spooked and turned tail, as it was the leading elephant, other elephants followed him and crushed their own side, Poross lost although he outnumbered and out gunned greeks, thanks to his white ******* of an elephant.

Reply to Old Saying and Idioms That Make No Sense Literally

You must be logged in to post a reply!