Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Parental Controlls: Are they nessecary?

Posted Aug 10, '13 at 10:38am

Ishtaron

Ishtaron

95 posts

But it's like saying "Don't jump in the puddles" and roping off a single puddle. It only blocks what the parents have direct control over. Sure, it's temporary comfort for the parents, but most kids will find access elsewhere as soon as they can. Or they overload when they're older. I recently saw a 20/20 episode where many teens in a strict LDS community sneak out and get wasted because they don't know their limit. Total restriction isn't the answer. Education is.

When did I say anything about total restriction? This is about parents controlling what their children have access to. Some parents may use it for total restriction but parental controls are customizable options designed for parents to be able to restrict content based on their own child's maturity level. It's better to ease children into more mature content as they become more mature.

Wasn't it Custer's Revenge?

Possibly, I didn't confirm the name before typing I just put it in knowing anyone over 17 would probably have heard about it and anyone younger wouldn't bother looking up a game from 1982.

Posted Aug 10, '13 at 11:15pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,315 posts

Knight

Parental Control should be over few things. Many things in this world that people "protect" their children from is illogical and stupid. The media does an even worse job at this.

Curse Words - Should not be blocked:

Why? Because bad language has existed longer then most can count. Words like h*ll, d*mn, or *ss are not curse words yet they are commonly blocked. These words are used in the english vocabulary and most of the time do not originate from offensive origin. The word *ss rooted from the fact that donkey's were called such, d*mn, a common term in the bible is to ruin, condemn, or to judge, and h*ll being a place (possibly mythical or not) which is also used as a curse word. These are not bad words. Words like *****, sh*t, and others I would say need to be blocked, but they shouldn't. Here is why.

In the 21st century most parents swear around their children. They swear anywhere. They will just tell their kids to not swear. But pretty much by the time a child is at the age of 10 he or she will know every swear word in the book. Media has no say in blocking such content for the reason being that men and women swear daily and even hourly on a daily basis. It is impossible to protect a child from such content until the acceptable age. The media will not even be liable if sued because a child, for example, called his teacher a *****. It is the parents job to set boundaries for a child to abide by, a corporate or legal entity has no authority over said child without given legal consent from parent (complications are possible however). No parent can sue also for the reason being that the likelihood of a child learning a curse word from a movie is HIGHLY unlikely. So the next time I watch a Die Hard movie on Spike I want to hear the whole ending line! Yipee Ki yay mother f - *gets cut off by a interference in the cable line*

Adult Themes and Drug use - should not be blocked:

The reason I say that such content shouldn't be blocked is because it is educational in the sense that in no movie do you see adults using drugs and having a positive or educational outcome one can implement into ones life. Usually someone who does drugs has a bad ending. Most movies glorify such substances but if you look close the outcome is negative and results in cataclysm. Your children can learn that drugs are bad and to move on knowing this.

Violence - Should be blocked:

Violence should be blocked depending on the level of graphic material. A man being shot in a movie is not really a big deal, in fact it became so common in action movies it borders on Hollywood's social cliche's and redundant patterns recycled years over. Content like R rated movies I do believe should be a parental control due to it's high graphic content not suitable for people even of adult age. Horror and slasher films generally warp the way the brain perceives violence and puts it under the category of "fake" and the brain will reject the reality and variables of the situation increasing the possibility of psychopathic and homicidal behavior.

Sexual Content - monitored in a moderate manner:

Sexuality is a natural human behavior that is the root cause to any races survival and should not be looked upon in a judgmental nor b*stardized manner. Content such as A rated content should be blocked in the sense that encouraging sexuality as if it means nothing is irresponsible but to block it entirely is wrong. Adolescence exposure to sexual content should be in mutual moderation with the certain amount of maturity.

So with this I believe that most content should not be blocked from public eyes.

Posted Aug 11, '13 at 1:54pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

6,304 posts

My parents put Parental Controls on my computer that block just about every website known to me, as well as a few that I don't. Including this website. So my more-frequent-sort-of-hiatuses are due to that. However, after a few days, they wear off, probably due to some weirdness within the software.
I mean, it's probably all for the best that they block every site that could be potentially distracting when I'm doing research for school or something, but then when I have to look stuff up, half the websites I try and get information off of turn out blocked too and my parents don't have enough time to log in and unblock specific sites. Plus, when I try and use my computer for my own leisure time, it's like 'Oh, wait! I can't do anything.' And it makes me mad, so a lot of the time I end up on Wikipedia reading about the history of some obscure person I've never heard of and never will need to know about or something else random.
So to me, parental controls are an unnecessary impediment to me using my computer. There's only so much I can do in the house before I get bored, and the weather outside is frequently miserable. So when all but one website I use frequently are blocked, I kind of get bored out of my mind and start screaming and scribbling on all the oranges with sharpies.

Posted Aug 13, '13 at 5:01am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

If your message is real, StormWalker, sounds like it's time for you to sit down & have a good heart-to-heart talk with your folks.

Surely their blocking even bona fide educational sites (or harmles entertainment ones, in my never-so humble opinion) for you can't be their intention. Explain what you want, and hear them out on what they want, and maybe you can meet one another halfway.

Posted Aug 13, '13 at 5:17am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

[quote=Salvidian]Allowing your children to watch and play whatever they want leads to desensitization.[/quote]

[quote=Minotaur55]Violence - Should be blocked:

[...] Horror and slasher films generally warp the way the brain perceives violence and puts it under the category of "fake" and the brain will reject the reality and variables of the situation increasing the possibility of psychopathic and homicidal behavior.[/quote]

I'm not at all so sure of it. Despite the repetitive outcries regarding violent video games after each mass shooting tragedy, I don't think any correlation has ever been proven so far.

I think we shouldn't underestimate people's ability (adults and children alike -- maybe more so in children, precisely since they are still forming their perception of the world) to distinguish fantasy from reality. And come to think of it, I'd add that to be able to make this distinction is a crucial faculty. So it needs not careful protection and hiding away, but rather honing and fine-tuning.

In the case of depictions of sexuality, I think there's a case to be made that those who do get exposed to it may be better prepared for a healthy sex life later in life, than those carefully kept away from it until adulthood.

I'm not saying everything goes, mind (although clearly personally I feel there's quite a lot that does); but it won't help if the arguments in favor of greater control are themselves flawed.

Posted Aug 17, '13 at 5:45pm

DragonMod101

DragonMod101

14 posts

I'm not saying to go let your kid watch a gore-a-thon, but they will have to learn eventually that this is the way our world is. For the most part, our world is on the lower end of the moral stick. Basically, don't try to hide something that is there and won't be leaving anytime soon. Before, someone tries to say that this will lead up to kids becoming "hoodlums", parental controls aren't going to control the morality of kids.

Reply to Parental Controlls: Are they nessecary?

You must be logged in to post a reply!