ForumsThe TavernCollege Football - 2014 Season

64 17534
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

The Coach's Poll is out, which means its the best time of the year... Fall! And with fall comes... College Football!

*thunderous applause*

We're just four weeks away from the opening kick off, and training is in full swing. This year marks the first that post season playoffs will determine a national champion, and the first that the American Athletic Conference (AAC) will show up on the grid iron.

So post your thoughts on how Clemson is going all the way this season. You can talk about the other 119 teams too, if you must.

• 64 Replies
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

I draw this thin blade
Across these blue lines; there is
A trickle of maize

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I guess it remains to be seem how far they drop this time. Two back to back poor outings and near upsets leads me to suspect a trend. I feel a drop to the high teens, though it all depends on who lost/won.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

The new AP Poll is out, with the top five remaining unchanged for the third straight week: Alabama, Oregon, Clemson, OSU, and Stanford.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

Nothing much to say about the polls. I thought they might pull something bush-league like ranking ND over UM, but they behaved themselves.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

ND should be low 20s, if they're even ranked. I feel like the media just sticks them up there because they get wet dreams thinking about the glory days in 1988 with Thou Tholtz blaggity gabbity glaub.

Polls don't get real exiting till week 6 or so anyways, once most teams have a loss or two and you have actual stats to go off of.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Ole Miss - Alabama is looking like it might could be a pontential upset for the Crimson tide. If Alabama's offense from week one shows up with their week two defense...

It'll come down to how well Bama's OL plays. If they allow Ole Miss to fill the gaps and get pressure in the pocket, it could be enough to slow them down long enough for Ole Miss to grab the lead.

Or Nock Saban is fed the rebels and grinds them into a blue and red pulp.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

Ole Miss - Alabama is looking like it might could be a pontential upset for the Crimson tide

Agreed. Been thinking that myself this week.

I think LSU might really pound Georgia too. Can't wait either way; it's a huge game as far as seeing how things will shake out nationally.

Meanwhile my Wolverines are off so I might crack a Dew and actually enjoy a saturday of college football for once.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

If Nkemdiche is in at MLB, I think Ole Miss will have a good shot at beating them. If he's still out, then they won't have a real central player to rally around on D, not to mention he's one of the best LBs on the field, IMO.

Ideally, UGAy beats LSUck, LSUck beats Alabama, UF@g beats UGAy, USuCk beats UF@g, and USuCk beats LSUck in the SEC championship. But Clemson beats USuCk during rivalry week, so all the SEC teams have atleast 2 losses, and it's Clemson and the PAC-12 winner in the NC.

Carolina has to play UCF, which may turn out to be a good game, if their defense plays like it has been. Clemson hosts Wake Forest, which wills either mean Clemson kicks a fieldgoal as time expires to win 3-2, or wins 264-176.

Pahahahahaha. This just in: Michigan's first team offense loses to the scout team, forfeits ranking in the polls. ND is then made No 1, and Bama drops to 25.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Gameday Pick (4-1):

UGA over LSU

The Les Miles factor makes any logical discussion pointless. RE: The last LSU drive in the Chick-Fil-Et Bowl last year.

Picks:

SCAR (12) over UCF
Clemson (3) over Wake Forest
Ole Miss (21) over Alabama (1)
Wisconsin (23) over OSU (4)
Oklahoma (14) over Notre Dame (22)

Because if I pick two upsets, one of them is bound to happen, right?

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

In a shocking twist of fate I'm just gonna post my opinions the night of, considering I have the Stanford game on right now and I don't think that's gonna change anything.

Wisky killed me. They managed the clock poorly, lost the battle of field position, and just never really got the running game going. Which isn't good, considering they're WISCONSIN. Not to mention the fact that they got burned deep at least three times.

The mighty SEC flexed its muscles with USC's three point win against UCF, and Tennessee's touchdown victory over South Alabama. Really rooting for USA, a couple of my buddies go there and they kinda get the brunt of the we-are-still-adjusting-to-big-boy-football student shock. Oh, and as an aside, LSU and Georgia showed the power of a vaunted SEC defense in a 44-41 knock-down drag-out defensive battle, and Ole Miss proved that the SEC is TOTALLY deep by proving their #21 ranking with a big "Ole" goose egg against Alabama.

Other than that, Oklahoma had a good win against Notre Dame, but Oklahoma State lost to WVU and kind of validated my suspicion that the Big 12 just kinda sucks in general. Minnesota got themselves steamrolled by a very average Iowa team in the battle for the Floyd of Rosedales, and Purdue got run off the field by NIU. Just another day in the B1G. Also, aforementioned, Michigan did not play and subsequently did not lose.

Go Blue.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

THIS JUST IN: The AP Poll has experienced a computer matrix glitch, meaning that the top five will now forever stay the same. Forever. The bottom 15 can change however, and ASU and Maryland have broken in, with ND (THERE IS A GOD!) and Wisconsin dropping out following losses.

I concur, though I think that anyone who thinks that the SEC is deep is either a comedian or a Kentucky fan. The Pac-12 is the only conference that can make a claim for depth - with 126 teams, the FBS clearly isn't concerned about mediocrity. But the SEC is starting to look mortal for once; I don't think anyone expected so many top-ten teams to get losses so quickly (UGA, UF, A&M, USC, LSU). Which makes me very, very happy.

Alabama got their act together in the 2nd half, SCAR lost to UCF, and Clemson finally played like the No. 3 team in the nation. And Lane Kiffin was fired after going 4-7 in the last 11 games.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

ASU

Boo. I have friends at Arizona. I have to hate ASU.
SCAR lost to UCF

SCAR won...
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

They were losing 10-0 at halftime to an oxvermatched opponent, got up 28-10, then barely held them off to finish 28-25. And thus they were punished in the polls accordingly.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Going down in the polls is not the same as losing though.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Technically no. But its the same reason why Michigan has lost spots after winning two games. It's one thing to win a game. When you scheduel a gimme win, and you fail to win convincingly, you're gonna have a bad time. When you're a top 25 team, it's not enough to win, especially when you have teams like Oregon, Clemson, OSU, and Baylor dropping 50, 60, and 70 points on people. Or like Alabama, Miami, Clemson, and Georgia who have beaten top ten opponents.

Showing 46-60 of 64