ForumsThe TavernSkewl

16 5002
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It's that time again. August has unfortunately roared in and all the little American kiddies are buying their backpacks and writing utensils, while the teenagers are complaining about waking up before noon and having to deal with social customs.

Where are you on the stance? What grade are you going into? What do you think about school?

• 16 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Entering into my senior year. I rather like school, but I honestly just want to get it over with now so I can move on to college and the rest of my life. Really looking forward to AP Chemistry, and a Film Criticism class I'm taking, so I have a real excuse to watch movies.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Going to 8th grade. In my opinion school sucks what with all this homework buisness and this popularity thing(which I honestly don't care about) that I'm seeing people brag about.

But that's just my school. Pretty sure everyone has different thoughts on their school.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

AP Chemistry

I thought AP Chem was awesome. It's definitely chemistry for chemistry-diehards, and I've heard horror stories of people taking AP Chem because they wanted easy college credits and they ended up bombing the class. It isn't an easy class, I can guarantee that.

Film Criticism class I'm taking, so I have a real excuse to watch movies

You lucky guy you.

school sucks what with all this homework buisness

If you don't do your homework in high school you'll bomb every class and you'll be bored out of your mind. Believe me, participating in classroom activities is much more interesting (and fun) compared to staring at the floor for an hour. But in middle school it doesn't much matter.

popularity thing(which I honestly don't care about) that I'm seeing people brag about

I thought popularity was a big factor in middle school. I tried to keep up with the latest fads and hung out with the "cool kids". When high school came around, popularity's prominence seemed to fade. Especially come sophomore year, everyone was nicer to everyone else and there wasn't much exclusion. My graduating class also had 90 kids in it so it was small.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Ithought AP Chem was awesome. It's definitely chemistry for chemistry-diehards, and I've heard horror stories of people taking AP Chem because they wanted easy college credits and they ended up bombing the class. It isn't an easy class, I can guarantee that.

Glad to hear. I'm really looking forward to it, not the least because we have a joke that the chem teacher is the guy they based Breaking Bad off. He's a hard teacher, but this year the lowest score in his class was a 4. Plus I want to double major in Chemistry/Biochemistry, so it'll help to get Freshman Chem out the way.

You lucky guy you.

I know. But I'm taking a full scheduel as a senior, so I thought it'd be good to take an easy class.

popularity thing(which I honestly don't care about) that I'm seeing people brag about

Yeah, sounds like middle school, and my freshman year. But really, by the end fo freshman year, everyon has split off into cliques and hangs out with people like them. I hung out with all the debate kids, though I had friends in most of the groups so that was fun. Oddly enough, the best fun I've ever had was 4/20 with two of the &quotot heads", my ex, a guy from quiz bowl, and two band members out behind the gas station accross the street from school. So really, diversity is the best you can do.

And you seem to have the right attitude about it. The best you can do is go around not really caring about what others think. Once I got over my self conciousness, and stopped focusing on what I thought others thought about me, I started to enjoy myself more with everything. Big reason why I went from no so ial life as a freshman, to too much social **** as a sophomore. Balance is also important, haha.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Ithought AP Chem was awesome. It's definitely chemistry for chemistry-diehards, and I've heard horror stories of people taking AP Chem because they wanted easy college credits and they ended up bombing the class. It isn't an easy class, I can guarantee that.

Glad to hear. I'm really looking forward to it, not the least because we have a joke that the chem teacher is the guy they based Breaking Bad off. He's a hard teacher, but this year the lowest score in his class was a 4. Plus I want to double major in Chemistry/Biochemistry, so it'll help to get Freshman Chem out the way.

You lucky guy you.

I know. But I'm taking a full scheduel as a senior, so I thought it'd be good to take an easy class.

Yeah, sounds like middle school, and my freshman year. But really, by the end fo freshman year, everyon has split off into cliques and hangs out with people like them. I hung out with all the debate kids, though I had friends in most of the groups so that was fun. Oddly enough, the best fun I've ever had was 4/20 with two of the &quotot heads", my ex, a guy from quiz bowl, and two band members out behind the gas station accross the street from school. So really, diversity is the best you can do.

And you seem to have the right attitude about it. The best you can do is go around not really caring about what others think. Once I got over my self conciousness, and stopped focusing on what I thought others thought about me, I started to enjoy myself more with everything. Big reason why I went from no so ial life as a freshman, to too much social **** as a sophomore. Balance is also important, haha.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I may take a history class for the fall semester, but I don't know if my funds or schedule will allow it. I'd rather take one of my core classes, but I have to knock out the required crap eventually.

Btw, I bombed AP Chem lol. I would've passed if I had just done one homework assignment (le sigh). I already had my credit for chemistry though, so it didn't really matter.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Not to be that guy, but I thought AP chem was easy and spent most of the time writing a text based rpg on my graphing calculator. But as has been said, it really depends on your teacher- I definitely got the easier one at my school. The actual test shouldn't be a problem.

Next semester is probably going to be the hardest/busiest one of my life. Speaking of chem, I'll be taking O-chem (just for funsies- not even a required class for my major), which will be the first chem class I've taken since, well, ap-chem. Which was.... 6 years ago? Am I really that old? Oh good lord.

Anyway, I'll also be taking a programming class and differential-equations, which is a math class. And then... I have to do an honors project which will probably take about 30-40 hours a week. Sometimes I think about it and want to run into things. Walls, for instance.

Finally, I'm going to be a captain of this crazy club-sport thing that I do, which will be fun but also a lot of responsibility. But, it'll be great to see everyone again and to be honest I can't wait to get back.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

School doesn't start until mid-September for me, though I've been living at school for the summer doing research. Thinking about taking 2 or 3 easy classes along with an intermediate Microeconomics course with calculus applications to prime my GPA for research grants and internship applications. But I'm pretty ambivalent about the school year. Gotta step up my extracurricular game and seriously contemplate whether or not I want to rush next term. I was a bit too complacent with my rather minimalist approach toward freshman year, but now I've realized, with all of the LinkedIn stalking I've been doing, that I can't sit idly and wait for things to come to me. This isn't high school anymore; the real world is only a few years away.

All this while trying to fit in a proper program for weight lifting, which is probably one of the few things that has kept me motivated thus far.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

I'm headed into my sophomore year in HS. I'm excited for it so I can get back to playing volleyball (Yes we have a boys team) lifting weights and seeing my friends. I really like my schedule, I have 4 out of 6 classes with my best friend and lunch together both semesters. School Starts bright and Early Wednesday the 7th at 7:20 am. I hate how early the school year starts this year, but it means summer starts a week early at the end of the year, so it balances out. The classes I look forward to are Creative Foods (A cooking class) Chem, Bio and I'm looking forward to getting my last math class out of the way, even though I don't like math.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I had open house today. It seems that my teachers are nice but its more than meets the eye.

Also the combination to my locker is wrong so I need to wait until the first day of school, which is Wednesday, to get it fixed.

School hasn't even started and already I'm having a problem that involves it.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Freshman year of college!
*High fives Sal*
School will be fine, except when winter comes around and I am *****ing about my 20 minute walk to the main campus. I wish I could go to two colleges. One when it is warm in Indiana and the other when it is cold in Indiana.

Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

School will be fine, except when winter comes around and I am *****ing about my 20 minute walk to the main campus. I wish I could go to two colleges. One when it is warm in Indiana and the other when it is cold in Indiana.

That sucks. Some of my friends are going off to college now, and Im stuck back at my high school.
In a way, though, I'm pretty happy that school is coming up, because, in my opinion, this summer is crawling by, and Im getting pumped to see all of my peers again.
caiteyd13
caiteyd13
40 posts
Nomad

I'm going into my junior year of high school I'm kind of excited to go back and have all my friends together at once. I'm taking all the normal classes plus ap genocide which should be interesting. The only thing I'm worried about is some of my best friends are seniors and they aren't going to be there next year. But other than that i'm not really worried I have a decent amount of friends and i'm gonna do softball and basketball like I always do its no big deal for me really,

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I'm going into my junior year of high school I'm kind of excited to go back and have all my friends together at once. I'm taking all the normal classes plus ap genocide which should be interesting. The only thing I'm worried about is some of my best friends are seniors and they aren't going to be there next year. But other than that i'm not really worried I have a decent amount of friends and i'm gonna do softball and basketball like I always do its no big deal for me really,

I'm going into my junior year of high school I'm kind of excited to go back and have all my friends together at once. I'm taking all the normal classes plus ap genocide which should be interesting.

I'm taking all the normal classes plus ap genocide which should be interesting.

plus ap genocide

ap genocide

wat.jpg

Your school has a class..on genocide?
I'm not sure if I'm impressed or scared. Probably both
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I'm a Senior this year (YEAH!!!!)

I'm not really that into school... My grade average is like 87%, hasn't changed in three years... Who cares.

I'm also hoping to be a kicker on the football team. (Which I highly doubt.)

My life is so boring.... I'm going to miss my job (those morning shifts are gone now. Now I'm down to weekends and late nights.)

Showing 1-15 of 16