ForumsPopular MediaLatest Movie?

587 241611
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

What was the last movie you watched and what did you think about it?

• 587 Replies
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Watched a bunch on my phone recently while having computer trouble.

The Brotherhood of Blades: Tried way too hard to make a bunch of assassins into relateable characters. I do not want to sit through three different romance subplots for a mediocre kung-fu movie. Ever.

The Babadook: I agree with pangtongshu don't bother seeing this one. While the first half of the movie does have a genuinely creepy atmosphere and sets up a lot of potential, there's a major tone shift at the beginning of the second half that ruins the atmosphere. And then there's that ending. I was literally laughing out loud during the ending because it was so horribly anticlimactic.

The Man With The Iron Fists 2: I didn't even know this sequel existed until Netflix recommended it. Once again The RZA tries to bank on the success of Afro Samurai and just winds up with a cheap Tarantino revenge flick.

The Ong Bak trilogy: Why do the second two even exist? The original is great. Somewhat cheesy, especially with their abuse of multiple angled shots on the stunts, but still great. The prequels are just nonsense in comparison.

The Dead Zone: This is the 1983 version with Christopher Walken. It actually sticks close enough to the book that Stephen King fans can enjoy it. It's also oddly paced for anyone coming into this movie without reading the book, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Flu: A Korean version of Matt Damon is the worst father ever, there's a reason you should never work with kids when making a movie and this film proves it.

District 13: A surprisingly enjoyable movie if you're willing to put up with reading subtitles. I actually recommend this one. If you're a fan of shirtless parkour you'll like it even more than I did.

The Wrath of Vajra: I hate Netflix's recommendation system. This movie wasn't horrible, but I was able to ignore half of it and still not miss a thing. And Netflix has been recommending I watch this for a year.

Overall 2 good, 3 not bad, and 5 that are absolute garbage.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I didn't even know this sequel existed until Netflix recommended it. Once again The RZA tries to bank on the success of Afro Samurai and just winds up with a cheap Tarantino revenge flick.

What?!? Are you saying that Tarantino makes bad movies?
Believe me I saw many many bad movies in scary movie theaters full of bad people throwing soda can, gum, and popcorn at you. Yeah security wasn't much of an issue in the middle 70's.

I saw countless cheesy Sci-Fi movies in my youth.

Tarantino's movies are more of an homage to those 70's and 80's cult movies, Sexploitation and Kung Fu flicks and believe it or not, I probably saw most of the original.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

John Dies at the End. What a wonderfully odd movie

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Hey, I am going to watch Ugram today.

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

Red. A hugely entertaining and (somewhat) mindless action movie.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

@SSTG
I actually like most of Tarantino's movies, Four Rooms being the only exception I can think of off the top of my head, but he is very formulaic about his plots. There's always a love interest who gets killed leading to several hours of the protagonist killing people until he/she gets revenge. Throw in a Tarantino stand in ranting about how people don't appreciate good cinema these days (or Tarantino himself in Four Rooms) and you've got a bona fide Tarantino film. Despite neither The Man With The Iron Fists nor it's sequel actually being directed by Tarantino they both still manage to feel like one of his movies but without the nods to older cinema and quality actors that often make his movies enjoyable.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

@SSTG
I actually like most of Tarantino's movies, Four Rooms being the only exception I can think of off the top of my head, but he is very formulaic about his plots. There's always a love interest who gets killed leading to several hours of the protagonist killing people until he/she gets revenge. Throw in a Tarantino stand in ranting about how people don't appreciate good cinema these days (or Tarantino himself in Four Rooms) and you've got a bona fide Tarantino film. Despite neither The Man With The Iron Fists nor it's sequel actually being directed by Tarantino they both still manage to feel like one of his movies but without the nods to older cinema and quality actors that often make his movies enjoyable.

Oh okay, I haven't seen this movie. Maybe he's running out of inspiration, I hope not.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

I've just watched The Imitation Game. To think I never realized how good an actor Benedict Cumberbatch was until now. The movie was so brilliant I couldn't help but feel so much emotions. I hated many characters, loved many characters, cried over many things. I couldn't describe how I felt unless someone watched it. It was so brilliant. I know some people may disagree with me, but the movie makes me feel somewhat useless to the existence of everything and everyone.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

To think I never realized how good an actor Benedict Cumberbatch was until now.

You will probably appreciate Sherlock if you like Benedict Cumberbatch. He was even great in Star Trek: Into Darkness.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

You will probably appreciate Sherlock if you like Benedict Cumberbatch. He was even great in Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Oh yes, I watched Star Trek: Into Darkness. I can say his performance there didn't show his fullest potential though. That's why I'm glad I watched the Imitation Game.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Star Trek: Into Darkness

It's a good movie. It's cool to see the characters alive again and played by younger actors since a good part of the original cast is gone and the rest are just a bunch of old farts now.

I just watched Once Upon a Time in the West by Sergio Leone.
What a great movie! Even though I saw it many times, I still enjoy watching it once in a while.

I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it but the story is about a man with a great idea who marries a prostitute (played by Claudia Cardinale) in New Orleans. A month later she
travels to Flagstone to join him but find his entire family slayed by a ruthless killer (Henry Fonda) working for a rich guy who wants what her husband wanted.

Some local bandit, falsely accused of the family massacre, teams up with a guy with a vengeance (Charles Bronson)...

Ennio Morricone composed the music score which in my opinion is epic.
I used to play the soundtrack at bedtime because I loved it so much.

Anyway if you want to watch a GOOD western movie, this is the one.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

idiocracy:
2 people are frozen for 500 year and end up and a world where they are the smartest beings because evolution made humanity stupid again.
funny movie. like almost all comedies, it's nothing special. but still very good for when you got some time to waste.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

The Station Agent

What a movie. Definitely one that you should just lay back, kick your feet up, and relax to. Nothing too complicated or exciting, just a wonderful premise with suparb acting.

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

Atari: Game Over
Great documentary about Atari at the height of its popularity, and how they supposedly buried millions of copies of the E.T. the Extraterrestrial game in a landfill in New Mexico, which they excavated during the documentary. Much of the focus is on Howard Scott Warshaw, the programmer of the E.T. game.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

My friend invited me to go see the new Avengers movie the day it came out, so there's that.

It was pretty good. I'm not actively into the Marvel fandom thing. I've never read the comics or anything and I don't really plan on it, but the friend (who's probably read every comic that ever existed) pointed out that a thing that happened didn't happen in the comics did happen. It was funny, too, because it happened just after I said "I like this character, I bet something will happen to them." *tries to be ambiguously vague so not to spoil for people*

Anyway.

Showing 316-330 of 587